Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 AM

17,589 posts, read 17,602,548 times

Advertisements

Not a big surprise. Activist Hollywood types are generally "do as I say, not as I do" types. There are some rare examples who actually practice what they preach. Ed Begely Jr. is an environmentalist who lives as he preaches. He's still a nut, but he's not a hypocrite like other environmentalist celebrities with private jets, multiple mansions, heated swimming pools, and gas guzzling sports cars that use more fuel than large SUVs sold today. I could respect his decision to move his children into private school instead of public school if his decision had been based upon the potential treatment they may receive at public school because of their celebrity father. Either being a target for attack by school bullies or a target for those looking to try to mooch off the kids knowing their dad has plenty of money. Instead, we hear it's because public school (generally ruled by the teacher's union and nearly 100% pro-Democrat and nearly 100% anti-military) isn't "progressive" enough for him. This says a great deal about the man himself. He doesn't want his children to receive an education, he wants them to receive an indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM

13,370 posts, read 9,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not a big surprise. Activist Hollywood types are generally "do as I say, not as I do" types. There are some rare examples who actually practice what they preach. Ed Begely Jr. is an environmentalist who lives as he preaches. He's still a nut, but he's not a hypocrite like other environmentalist celebrities with private jets, multiple mansions, heated swimming pools, and gas guzzling sports cars that use more fuel than large SUVs sold today. I could respect his decision to move his children into private school instead of public school if his decision had been based upon the potential treatment they may receive at public school because of their celebrity father. Either being a target for attack by school bullies or a target for those looking to try to mooch off the kids knowing their dad has plenty of money. Instead, we hear it's because public school (generally ruled by the teacher's union and nearly 100% pro-Democrat and nearly 100% anti-military) isn't "progressive" enough for him. This says a great deal about the man himself. He doesn't want his children to receive an education, he wants them to receive an indoctrination.
Again, he's not using the political definition of progressive.

He's saying public schools are not progressive enough in their teaching methods. And he'd be right.

It takes a long time to affect change in public schools, and the standardized testing and rote learning is not for everyone.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Again, he's not using the political definition of progressive.

He's saying public schools are not progressive enough in their teaching methods. And he'd be right.

It takes a long time to affect change in public schools, and the standardized testing and rote learning is not for everyone.
This is where I step in and caution everyone, again, that so-called "progressive" teaching methods like "discovery," "constructivist," "inquiry-based learning," "project-based learning," etc., have serious shortcomings.

The greatest benefit of such is experienced by those who are already knowledgeable on the relevant topic(s). Novice learners experience cognitive overload making it less likely that they will learn. For a look at the limitations on the use of the progressive teaching methods with novice learners:

An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching
http://www.cogtech.usc.edu/publicati...ller_Clark.pdf

The gist: When used on novice learners (anyone who doesn't already have a substantial knowledge base, i.e. children students, early years of any college degree program, etc.), those progressive teaching methods result in little learning, and even what is learned is frequently incorrect.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM

13,370 posts, read 9,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This is where I step in and caution everyone, again, that so-called "progressive" teaching methods like "discovery," "constructivist," "inquiry-based learning," "project-based learning," etc., have serious shortcomings.

The greatest benefit of such is experienced by those who are already knowledgeable on the relevant topic(s). Novice learners experience cognitive overload making it less likely that they will learn. For a look at the limitations on the use of the progressive teaching methods with novice learners:

An Analysis of the Failure of Constructivist, Discovery, Problem-Based, Experiential, and Inquiry-Based Teaching
http://www.cogtech.usc.edu/publicati...ller_Clark.pdf

The gist: When used on novice learners (anyone who doesn't already have a substantial knowledge base, i.e. children students, early years of any college degree program, etc.), those progressive teaching methods result in little learning, and even what is learned is frequently incorrect.
I don't care what you think about progressive teaching methods, my point is that that's what Damon is talking about, as opposed to schools not being LIBERAL enough. Which is how this thread has been incorrectly marketed, and what persons here are aghast at.

Whether they work or not is beside my point. That's a different thread.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:04 PM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I don't care what you think about progressive teaching methods
It's not what I think. It is what is known via empirical data. Progressive teaching methods only work on those who already have a significant knowledge base in the relevant topic(s), experts, if you will.

Quote:
my point is that that's what Damon is talking about, as opposed to schools not being LIBERAL enough. Which is how this thread has been incorrectly marketed, and what persons here are aghast at.
Damon specifically said, "public schools aren't progressive enough."

Old 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not what I think. It is what is known via empirical data. Progressive teaching methods only work on those who already have a significant knowledge base in the relevant topic(s), experts, if you will.

Damon specifically said, "public schools aren't progressive enough."
Damon isn't saying public schools aren't liberal enough. Should be simple to understand for most people.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,346,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
He can send his child where ever he wants, we all know if you have money then private school is an option. That still doesn't change the importance of public schools for those who aren't rich.
But it's not quite that simple. The elitist left wants options for their children, but not for the children of the poor and middle class. Why? Because options for children of the poor/middle class would represent a threat to the teachers' unions, who are their stalwart political allies:
Obama Cuts Funding for D.C. Voucher Program: DCist

Why do you think that only the children of the rich should have options?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM

8,874 posts, read 5,361,817 times
Now, now ..... I am certain Matt is a strong advocate for public schools ...... just not for his kids. Is he by chance a supporter of BO?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM

8,874 posts, read 5,361,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Funny the self-Righteous whiners here weren't crying hypocrite! over Mitt Romney who supported the Vietnam war/draft yet conveniently ran the other way instead of taking his turn, eh?

Typical
RW hypocrisy.
I haven't noticed too many left-wingers express much outrage over VP Biden's non-participation in the Vietnam war. Joe also is a great supporter of public schools for children other than his own.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,149,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
But it's not quite that simple. The elitist left wants options for their children, but not for the children of the poor and middle class. Why? Because options for children of the poor/middle class would represent a threat to the teachers' unions, who are their stalwart political allies:
Obama Cuts Funding for D.C. Voucher Program: DCist

Why do you think that only the children of the rich should have options?
I don't live in DC so I don't know anything about their school system m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies