Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times

Advertisements

Some say these thread always end up with racist over tones...I don't see that- all I know is one thing when giving this some thought- There is a woman- there is an incident- then things get out of control and a woman shoots a man...I don't picture a black face shooting a white one? Now the "danger" factor...When I cross the street I fear for my life but I am not about to start tossing rocks at cars as they approach. Everyone lives in a state of apprehension to some degree...everyone fears for their life with every breath they take. The point is did this woman really think or believe that she was about to lose her life? Or did she not think anything other than "I have a gun- he is aggressive so I will shoot him" It might just be that simplistic.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:27 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
No charges filed.

Black woman stands her ground, kills white man

snip

If Obamas white half had a son would he have looked like Jonathan Ables? I will not hold my breath for an answer.

Not sure why you are posting an article that's a year old. Are you following the case, do you have any thing new? Charges were filed, I believe she's claiming self defense. Both of them had traffic violations that were rather dicey. His were combined with pot and court no shows ending in warrants for arrest. I can't remember hers exactly. So, just like the Zimmerman case, neither one of the two were little angels. The jury will decide, they will hear the evidence. We don't know jack, except what the media is feeding us. And what's up with that headline? How do we know he wasn't a white Hispanic? His girlfriend was Hispanic, let's squeeze every little detail outta this and exploit it.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 PM

Panic--------------never panic. No matter what is happening always stay focused and let logic be your guide...The moment fear and panic set in you have lost control of the situation...If another person has lost control - it us up to you to keep control. If a person is going crazy it is not a licence to release the crazy in you. This was about a young man who seemingly lost his temper...and a woman who is under the impression that she had the right to meet any force no matter how slight the force with deadly force. She sounds pretty stupid to me. Liberal America has given up on teaching young people about the virtue of self control...Kid are taught that you must always show your feelings and emotions and that it is HEALTHY to let it all out- Sometimes it is not.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Not sure why you are posting an article that's a year old. Are you following the case, do you have any thing new? Charges were filed, I believe she's claiming self defense. Both of them had traffic violations that were rather dicey. His were combined with pot and court no shows ending in warrants for arrest. I can't remember hers exactly. So, just like the Zimmerman case, neither one of the two were little angels. The jury will decide, they will hear the evidence. We don't know jack, except what the media is feeding us. And what's up with that headline? How do we know he wasn't a white Hispanic? His girlfriend was Hispanic, let's squeeze every little detail outta this and exploit it.
This guy apparently had no concept of respect. If it was on his record that he insults the court by a "failure to appear" - that means he respects no one. Not in a million years would not appear...because I know the consequence- they come and arrest you eventually. This young man with his inability to envision consequences combined with disrespect - had a deadly consequence.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
She was being beat on with no means to escape?
I thought you guys said you dont have to wait until your head is being smashed in to react.

I see, so a woman has to let a man punch her in the face at least once after he forces his way into her car before she can react.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Bound of Webound View Post
That's where the "reasonable person" test comes in Oleg.

How would a reasonable person react if presented with the same set of circumstances?

And you must be able to put yourself in another persons shoes and see the event through their eyes, listen to the evidence, apply the law and determine if you would have reacted the same.

Her being a female confronted by a larger male matters, if she testified she felt he would break out her window and beat her, that's enough if you find her credible.

I swear, people around here have no concept of US law and it's application....

PS: What happened in the Wild West was they shot people full of holes that threatened them. Don't believe me, go check out any Boot Hill...

I don't think she panicked. I think she reacted to the imminent threat, by knowing the law in her state and drilling the aggressor. Of course the truth will come out at trial. I expect a not-guilty based on the Stand Your Ground law in Texas and what I know of the case thus far.

How are some posters in this thread showing respect to the woman involved in this incident by judging her as stupid without knowing all the facts in the case?
No one knows the facts. Being Canadian all I can say is that if the woman did not carry a gun, the man would be alive and I safely assume that the worst that would have happened would have been a bodily assault. If the woman would have left her car and confronted the guy and attempted to reason with the person she could have saved his life.

BUT bravery - strength of character - confidence and the SKILL to communicate and defuse the situation seemed lacking. The skill of having to learned how to fire a gun was obviously there. People in America are becoming too weapon dependent. I really don't like Texas laws- In a state where execution surpasses that of China....per population.

In a state where execution is as common and normalized..What do we expect of citizens who are shown by the state that human life is not sacred and you can if you can justify it by "law" - That a private citizen can also execute someone in the street- The whole thing is off kilter. They system is not civilized and has not changed in 150 years.

The legal language bantered about regarding imminent threat - and the right to personal safety and security at all cost strikes me as laws put in place that intentionally by design are in place to justify killing others...it's barbaric _ It is 2013 not 1863.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
You read the report; a witness a mere 15 feet away heard no yelling or banging on the car.

No word yet on the DOJ forcing an indictment.

JK!

He was white and doesn't count!
Well, we all read reports that Zimmerman was white.

We all read reports that Trayvon Martin had gone to the store for some innocent skittles and ice tea rather than components for Lean or Purple Drank (autopsy confirmed that his liver was distressed but no one seemed to pick that up).

We saw pictures of a 12 year old Martin in those reports.

Media reports can't be trusted in a racially charged case. We don't know much of anything except that a young man is dead at the hands of a young woman who was a CHL holder and has, therefore, received some training about the laws of the State of Texas insofar as the application of deadly force is concerned.

My first blush is that she was probably justified.

As an editorial, it doesn't matter how angry you are - civility must be maintained. Merely making someone feel threatened can be a crime. If you are so angry that you lose your temper and inadvertently make someone feel threatened, that's still a crime. Always keep calm.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
No one knows the facts. Being Canadian all I can say is that if the woman did not carry a gun, the man would be alive and I safely assume that the worst that would have happened would have been a bodily assault. If the woman would have left her car and confronted the guy and attempted to reason with the person she could have saved his life.

BUT bravery - strength of character - confidence and the SKILL to communicate and defuse the situation seemed lacking. The skill of having to learned how to fire a gun was obviously there. People in America are becoming too weapon dependent. I really don't like Texas laws- In a state where execution surpasses that of China....per population.

In a state where execution is as common and normalized..What do we expect of citizens who are shown by the state that human life is not sacred and you can if you can justify it by "law" - That a private citizen can also execute someone in the street- The whole thing is off kilter. They system is not civilized and has not changed in 150 years.

The legal language bantered about regarding imminent threat - and the right to personal safety and security at all cost strikes me as laws put in place that intentionally by design are in place to justify killing others...it's barbaric _ It is 2013 not 1863.
Oleg: So a Canadian woman has a duty to dig in and take a beating? Barbaric culture. I wouldn't want my wife and daughter to have to live in such a place.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
In many states the victim does not have the duty to retreat. It is the mugger's responsibility not to mug people. If he mugs somebody he takes the risk.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Her reason for shooting the victim sounds equally as valid as George Zimmerman's reason. We'll see what happens when it goes to trial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Yep, but I bet the very same people who have been breaking their necks defending Zimmerman will be ready to throw this woman in the electric chair and flick the switch themselves. I'd also be willing to bet that the same defense that worked for Zimmerman won't work for this woman.
Except for one guy was getting repeatedly punched in the face and the girl was in her car with a rolled up window and a locked door. Could she not have shown him the gun and had it ready if he did indeed actually break through the glass in which case he would have been posing a realistic threat on her life.

Can you stand inside your home and shoot a neighbor if he approaches your front door upset?

I think the fact that there was a barrier between them physically is a huge part of both cases. If the same thing would have happened to Zimmerman I don't think there would have been an argument, similarly if this guy had come up to the girl, jumped on her, and started punching her in the face I don't think there would be an argument either.

If it turns out that he did open an unlocked door, there should be evidence to support her argument. I doubt the guy was wearing gloves. If there were/are hand prints on the car door she does have a very good case. If he was just yelling and perhaps hit her car door I don't think that constitutes a fatal shooting. Like I said, if she shows/flashes the gun he likely backs off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.