Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You cite that a dictionary definition of "liberal" which has not been accurate for nearly a hundred years in this country... and then announce that someone else is a "know-nothing"?

You are to determine whether it is accurate or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
You cite that a dictionary definition of "liberal" which has not been accurate for nearly a hundred years in this country... and then announce that someone else is a "know-nothing"?

and if you can find me a defintion, by a legitimate source, that is completely different than what the Dictionary displays please do.
Liberal is what it is. You cannot change it and make it some dirty word just to fit your political agenda.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Much better than that horrible argument you just tried to make.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Much better than that horrible argument you just tried to make.
How so?
A person or small minority cannot just change the meaning of a word for their convienence.
The dictionary, which is revised annually I believe, has the most current definition accepted by language scholars.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,262 times
Quote:
How so?
A person or small minority cannot just change the meaning of a word for their conviencence.
The dictionary, which is revised annually I believe, has the most current definition accepted by language scholars.
This really is hilarious. It isn't rocket science to understand that the meaning of words in day to day discussion depends on context. This is just the most basic common sense type of stuff here.

Your attempt to classify what are commonly referred to as "liberals" based on what the dictionary says under liberals is laughable and ridiculous.

I guess "conservatives" never want to change anything, ever. And I guess "liberals" are for freedom in all respects. Such as lax gun laws for example.

In Europe, "liberal" means what "fiscally conservative" means in the US. In other words, the polar opposite of American liberals on economic matters. I wonder how that fits into your theory.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
In the United States, there are 3 regions that are predominantly blue states at the local, state and national levels: 1) the Northeast from Maryland up to Maine including Pennsylvania, 2) the Industrial Middle around the Great Lakes and 3) the West Coast including more recently some interior western states like New Mexico.

How do these regions differ in their kind of liberalism? How are they similar? What is the opposition Republican party like in these regions?
Are you saying "progressive" didn't stick?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
This really is hilarious. It isn't rocket science to understand that the meaning of words in day to day discussion depends on context. This is just the most basic common sense type of stuff here.

Your attempt to classify what are commonly referred to as "liberals" based on what the dictionary says under liberals is laughable and ridiculous.

I guess "conservatives" never want to change anything, ever. And I guess "liberals" are for freedom in all respects. Such as lax gun laws for example.

In Europe, "liberal" means what "fiscally conservative" means in the US. In other words, the polar opposite of American liberals on economic matters. I wonder how that fits into your theory.
Ok, we just make up definitions as we go. Thanks. I will tell my first grade English teacher.

There is a big difference between context and definition. Do I need to define definition to you?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times
Quote:
Did you have someone in mind?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,778,510 times
A hundred years ago, "Liberal" meant "Supporting liberty".

Today, our modern liberals are the ones forcing us to buy health coverage in the qualities and amounts they dictate, whether we want it or not.

And forbidding us to drain swamps on our land, because they feel it's a bad idea to displace a snail darter fish.

And allowing our underage daughters to get abortions without telling us, their own parents.

And tearing down our military monuments in various parks and hilltops.

And forcing us to pay for their own sexual adventures and abortions, again whether we like it or not.

"Supporting liberty" is what they are NOT doing. Istead, they are destroying it... with considerable glee.

Quote:
Liberal is what it is.
That is becoming clearer every day.

Quote:
You cannot change it and make it some dirty word just to fit your political agenda.
I don't need to. they have done that themselves, in spades, with no help from anyone else.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
A hundred years ago, "Liberal" meant "Supporting liberty".

Today, our modern liberals are the ones forcing us to buy health coverage in the qualities and amounts they dictate, whether we want it or not.

And forbidding us to drain swamps on our land, because they feel it's a bad idea to displace a snail darter fish.

And allowing our underage daughters to get abortions without telling us, their own parents.

And tearing down our military monuments in various parks and hilltops.

And forcing us to pay for their own sexual adventures and abortions, again whether we like it or not.

"Supporting liberty" is what they are NOT doing. Istead, they are destroying it... with considerable glee.

That is becoming clearer every day.

I don't need to. they have done that themselves, in spades, with no help from anyone else.

So the people you describe are not liberal at all yet you call them liberals.
Ok got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies