Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Increasing Number Of Restaurants Ban Children During Dinner Rush « CBS New York

I hope this practice catches on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh most definitely. Their the ones looking down their noses at others, judging people's situations without an iota of understanding or compassion. They are usually the ones who think they know it all.
No - we're the ones who've been through it. We for the most part do know it all - as we've made the mistakes.

Unfortunately, the ones today that think they know it all are the young parents - who were given everything by mommy and daddy, the ones who were parented by the belief that you're your child's friend - not their parent, the ones who were always defended - not my child - as the parents never spent enough time actually knowing their child - I could go on.

Not all young adults are like this - but a good portion of those 23-35 are. I'm glad I actually parented my kids - they're are 29 and 31 now and are appalled when they see what parents let their kids get away with these days and the lack of responsibility that parents take for their child. You decided to have thi child - take responsibility for it and quit shifting the responsibility or fault to someone else.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
More restaurants starting to "ban kids" during certain hours due to customer complaints.
Can't say I blame them. These days when a toddler has a meltdown the parent does not take them outside to cool down.
I'm sure we've all been witness to that.

I don't put up with it. At the movies I ask for my money back. In restaurants I ask to be moved.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yes and if you work in a food establishment your job is to clean the floor when I leave.

Maybe some people have had it with other people not wanting to do their jobs. If you don't want to clean floors then don't work in a restaurant, not really rocket science. And if you don't like dealing with people then quit your job in retail or food service and be a garbage man.
Not that I disagree with your general point, but having worked as a garbage man when I was younger it isn't really a good job for those who don't like people. You'd be amazed how much customer interaction there actually is.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Oh most definitely. Their the ones looking down their noses at others, judging people's situations without an iota of understanding or compassion. They are usually the ones who think they know it all.
Judging situations?? Can you give a few examples of what kind of "situations" and why those situations should be of a concern to other people?

What understanding is required? What is there to be compassionate about? Do diners really have to sit around and consider: situation/understanding/compassion for the parents of children who are disruptive?

How about coming up with some solutions that allows everyone to enjoy their dining out experience? What should people do who find disruptive children annoying, and what should parents do who allow their children to be disruptive and annoying? How do you please both??

I don't think telling people who find disruptive children annoying should be denied the pleasure of eating out and told to stay home as was suggested. And I don't think families should be denied the pleasure of eating out either, but it is unfair to suggest that those who don't have children with them should be assess the family situation, be understanding and have compassion (whatever that means) towards parents of disruptive children. How about parents of disruptive children show a bit more respect to those diners who don't have children with them?

Should restaurants section off an area for family only the way the had sectioned off for "smokers"?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
did you ever notice, that those who are so incredibly intimidated or offended by these threads are the ones who allow they're kids to get away with this type of thing? They get so nasty and defensive, instead of discussing the thread and issue logically, then they start throwing insults, calling names....
Incredible...and
Funny isn't it...

Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
And in those cases the wait staff are informed part of their job is bussing. Sometimes, bussing is assigned to one particular staff member each shift. Either way, the expectation to clean up after diners is there.
I'm fully aware of that, tell the poster who thinks every restaurant hires bussers.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
LOL that's it some gdam crumbs on the floor? Don't they have a vacuum cleaner at that dump? Lord have mercy. Kids are kids. If somebody gets that bent out of shape about some crumbs on the floor they need to either cater to only adults who would never think of spilling anything or pipe down and do your job. Does this woman scream about having to wipe off the table for the next customer in line too?
Oh lordy. I agree with KUchief again. What is this world coming to??????

Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
doesn't matter, bad behavior is bad behavior and tinman is absolutely right!!!!!!!
and the crumbs on the floor are just the beginning, of how that child is left to do anything it wants....teaching a child manners, and respect for the property of others goes a long way.

Tinman, consistency is absolutely correct! When I was pregnant, I read a book which said, "if your child isn't under control by the time it's five, it never will be." So I started early with consistancy...
and glad I did, b/c I was very proud of my son, he was taught manners, to be polite, to not bud in when people are talking, and above all, when we were in a public place, he had to whisper and sit still in a chair with a book, which I read to him. My grand-daughter is the very same way, and I'm very happy, that I taught him at an early age. He would ask if he could be excused when he was done eating, take his dishes over to the sink, rinse them out and put them in the dishwasher. Nothing wrong with consistancy!!!!!
Unfortunately it appears that many children from an early age start training their parents.

Last edited by softblueyz; 08-09-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More restaurants starting to "ban kids" during certain hours due to customer complaints.
Can't say I blame them. These days when a toddler has a meltdown the parent does not take them outside to cool down.
I'm sure we've all been witness to that.

I don't put up with it. At the movies I ask for my money back. In restaurants I ask to be moved.

and I am so glad...we took our mom out to dinner, one evening, for her 90th. There was a family sitting near us, who were so loud, she could not hear what we were saying. We should have complained to the hostess, but she didn't want us to cause a fuss. However, now I wish I would have...so many people forget how to be polite and how not to invade the space of others...which also speaks volumns about their upbringing.

I'm so glad I was strict with my son, military strict actually, he turned out to be such a nice person, and his daughter is the same, very proud of they're parenting.

I remember waitressing and marveling at the behavior of some kids, how polite they were, quiet and thankful. Thinking, that is the way I'm going to teach my children. And I complimented the parents, feeling they should be proud, they were doing good by they're children for when they grew up, those kids would also carry on the discipline.

Nothing worse then a bratty screaming kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies