Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:22 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Harrier should take his own advice and not try to define others.
Liberals define themselves - Harrier only reports their definitions.

It is not Harrier's fault that liberals portray themselves negatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals define themselves - Harrier only reports their definitions.

It is not Harrier's fault that liberals portray themselves negatively.
I dont live inside your head, so i cant even presume to say you are lying because you may honestly see the world that way, But from others perspective you are wrong.

Liberals do not portray themselves negatively. Negativity is in the eye of the beholder.

You may think supporting the civil rights act is a negative, but a liberal that supports it does not, so that person isnt portraying themselves negatively. That is your own construct, not theirs. So you are indeed defining others.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
You may think supporting the civil rights act is a negative, but a liberal that supports it does not, so that person isnt portraying themselves negatively.
Democrats, who now call themselves either liberals or "progressives", since "liberal" has been rightfully maligned, opposed the Civil Rights Act and also opposed the abolition of slavery.

Harrier is sorry if you can't wrap your head around those facts.

Liberals also try to call themselves "progressives" now, because "liberal" has become tainted.

Those same people forget that the original Progressives were Republican and instituted good things like allowing women to vote(which Democrats opposed), setting aside National Parks, opposing Jim Crow Laws(which Democrats supported), and starting the FDA.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:39 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Democrats, who now call themselves either liberals or "progressives", since "liberal" has been rightfully maligned, opposed the Civil Rights Act and also opposed the abolition of slavery.

Liberals also try to call themselves "progressives" now, because "liberal" has become tainted.

Those same people forget that the original Progressives were Republican and instituted good things like allowing women to vote(which Democrats opposed), setting aside National Parks, opposing Jim Crow Laws(which Democrats supported), and starting the FDA.
So now your praising progressives and slamming conservative Democrats???

What the........

Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:

In the bold, you seem to be repeating yourself no matter how wrong you are. It is republicans who have called the word liberal into question, not liberals. My response to you is this simple for that.

Why is 'liberal' a bad word? - YouTube

Liberals also did not oppose any of the things you claimed. You are confusing Democrats with liberal when they are not one in the same, or atleast they were not when those things in question were passed.

I know you cant wrap your head around those facts, but you are just going to have to.

You ran Liberals and Progressives out of your party. In the South where those things like Jim Crow were suported , Both Democrats and Republicans formed a coalition in support of them, Thankfully Democrats were a majority in the North and eradicated them.

Democrats and Liberals passed the civil rights act, we have gone thought this argument before, I have even posed the vote count. You either have short term memory or you honestly dont care that you are wrong.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:

Progressives WERE Republicans is the key word. We progressives go with the party that fits us the best and the Republicans have failed at doing that for a long time now.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Not really sure what your point is here. Are you claiming Robert Byrd is a liberal ? Because he is not ?

Did i ever claim he was perfect ? No, i did not even mention him in this entire debate but last time i checked, he admitted his bigoted ways were wrong and worked to mend his image did he not ?

long story short, #YouFail

Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times
Quote:
Not really sure what your point is here. Are you claiming Robert Byrd is a liberal ? Because he is not ?

Did i ever claim he was perfect ? No, i did not even mention him in this entire debate but last time i checked, he admitted his bigoted ways were wrong and worked to mend his image did he not ?

He's trying to say that the KKK is liberal, because Byrd was in the KKK and Byrd was a Democrat.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,509 times
Quote:

You'll have to tell me how this "failure" thing works, since you're so familiar with it.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Yep, he was a conservative Democrat from West Virginia that supported the KKK. Is there a point you are trying to make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies