Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:06 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...I understand that you didn't. I'm just saying that you have to be hip to the game that's being played here.

They can LOVE their demagogues, but demand that we denounce all the black ones. It's horseshyt. I'm not about to denounce or disavow anyone. If they don't like Sharpton, that's their problem.

But we have no duty as black people to reassure them that we don't like Sharpton or Jackson...it ain't their damn business anyway who individual blacks like or don't like. And I reject the notion that they're in some self exalted position of being our inquisitors or rightful judges of who we should either follow or even like.

Don't play into their hands.
The way I see it, people who complain about Al Sharpton are under no moral condition to do so if they are listening to the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity. They have no room to complain. It's utter hypocrisy on so many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obviously there is no obligation on anyone to speak out or denounce anyone, regardless of race, gender, or whatever. Freedom of speech includes the freedom to remain silent, after all. I'm not sure that there is anyone claiming that there is a such an obligation, or demanding that certain people issue denunciations.

But if you believe that Sharpton is a demagogue, race-baiter, and damaging influence, as (for example) Juan Williams believes, it is certainly not a bad idea to speak up about it.
This is the thing. It makes no sense to complain about Al Sharpton if one won't call out the likes of Ann Coulter or Glenn Beck. It makes no sense.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. It makes no sense to complain about Al Sharpton if one won't call out the likes of Ann Coulter or Glenn Beck. It makes no sense.
Why? I don't listen to nor pay attention to Glenn Beck, so why would I be required to "call him out?" I like a lot of what Ann Coulter says, so I probably wouldn't be calling her out in any case. These are all individuals with individual histories.

I don't see why registering a complaint about any one of them would mean that the complaining person should be required to complain about all.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
The way I see it, people who complain about Al Sharpton are under no moral condition to do so if they are listening to the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity. They have no room to complain. It's utter hypocrisy on so many levels.
Absolutely. But in their minds, they aren't required to do any denunciations...but we are.

That's why no matter how I might feel about Jackson or Sharpton, there aren't gonna be any repudiating going on.

I'll repudiate certain opinions they have that I disagree with, but that's all.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why? I don't listen to nor pay attention to Glenn Beck, so why would I be required to "call him out?" I like a lot of what Ann Coulter says, so I probably wouldn't be calling her out in any case. These are all individuals with individual histories.

I don't see why registering a complaint about any one of them would mean that the complaining person should be required to complain about all.
If you are going to listen to Ann Coulter, then you can't expect anyone to denounce Al Sharpton. I see her as pretty much a demagogue. For that reason, I see big hypocrisies taking place. If Black people is expected to repudiate Al Sharpton, then how come the same isn't expected when it comes to these far-right persons?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Absolutely. But in their minds, they aren't required to do any denunciations...but we are.

That's why no matter how I might feel about Jackson or Sharpton, there aren't gonna be any repudiating going on.

I'll repudiate certain opinions they have that I disagree with, but that's all.
It is about double standards. I haven't really listened to either side, Sharpton or Coulter(and the like), I do my own thing. I just feel like alot of people are pointing to Al Sharpton as if he's "Black America's King".

Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I see his show on MSNBC when I get home early from work sometimes.

The man has a great sense of humor. Give him that. I like him. If I was black, I'd probably really like him.
LMAO the beauty of subtle racism.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Nonsense, although I like 0 of 3, only Sharpton has to answer for Freddy's Fashion Mart.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I would like to hear from someone who thinks Al Sharpton has done great things. If so, what has he done to earn your praise?
Anyone that's a ranting, raving racist would support ole AL. I think his barber died about 10 years ago though.......

Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Nonsense, although I like 0 of 3, only Sharpton has to answer for Freddy's Fashion Mart.
What is Freddy's Fashion Mart, and what does that have to do with anything I said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies