Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
TRANSCRIPT: President Obama’s August 9, 2013, news conference at the White House - The Washington Post

You might have to go to page 3,4, or 5 but it is there.

You guys are unbelievable with your "link please" nonsense.
Lol. You sound like a child ranting. Similar to being caught in a lie and stuttering trying to make it look like you aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM

234 posts, read 184,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Human rights do not change depending on the country.
Supposed inalienable human rights should not be made into a weapon to extort one culture's dominance over another, either. Have we learned nothing in our civics classes? Or is it okay to cherry-pick certain practices to foist our hedonisms upon everyone globally?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
Supposed inalienable human rights should not be made into a weapon to extort one culture's dominance over another, either. Have we learned nothing in our civics classes? Or is it okay to cherry-pick certain practices to foist our hedonisms upon everyone globally?
Again, this is NOT an issue of culture. This is an issue about HUMAN RIGHTS. What two consenting adults do in their bedroom is absolutely NO business of anyone else's. Gay people exist in every single society on this earth. They should not be persecuted for attractions and inner feelings that they have no control over.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why would anyone specifically "look forward" to a gay person winning a medal?

How odd.

What does a person's sexual preference have to do with their athletic accomplishment?
When it serves a political agenda.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,954,062 times
pg 4 I know that one question that's been raised is, how do we approach the Olympics? I want to just make very clear right now, I do not think it's appropriate to boycott the Olympics. We've got a bunch of Americans out there who are training hard, who are doing everything they can to succeed. Nobody's more offended than me by some of the anti-gay and lesbian legislation that you've been seeing in Russia, but as I said just this week, I've spoken out against that not just with respect to Russia, but a number of other countries where we continue to do work with them, but we have a strong disagreement on this issue.

And one of the things I'm really looking forward to is maybe some gay and lesbian athletes bringing home the gold or silver or bronze, which I think would go a long way in rejecting the kind of attitudes that we're seeing there. And if Russia doesn't have gay or lesbian athletes, then that would probably make their team weaker.

TRANSCRIPT: President Obama’s August 9, 2013, news conference at the White House - The Washington Post

Looked over the rest and i don't see all the stuttering he did. I watched him live. Someone cleaned that up well.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Russia discriminates against gays.
It would seem that it's an internal matter for Russia to decide then. How does this affect US citizens? How would we react to them, or China, or anyone else attempting to impose their values on the US?

Is this really even something which merits discussion?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,057 times
There needs to be limits on what people can make threads.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,227,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanetraveler View Post
lol. You sound like a child ranting. Similar to being caught in a lie and stuttering trying to make it look like you aren't.
LOL

Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Obama said something to the effect that an athletic team in which gays and lesbians are excluded might ake for a weaker team.

It's an overgeneralization, but in essence I agree that excluding people from being on a team of ahletes simply due to bigoted, discriminatory attitudes towards their gender preferences might result in not including the most effective, skillful athletes.

This isn't to say that homosexual athletes are more skilled than heterosexual athletes; it simply means if a team excludes, say, all left-handed people or all Asians or some other subset of humans for whatever reason, they may not put together the strongest team possible.

To me is seemed like not so much a stupid thing to say, but it was clumsily worded and sounded silly.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:20 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
...is it okay to cherry-pick certain practices to foist our hedonisms upon everyone globally?
How or why in any possible sense is homosexuality any more "hedonistic" than heterosexuality?

What is this, the Dark Ages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies