Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I'm unfamiliar with PA law, so I really can't comment. I would imagine that open carry is illegal there, but it is surprisingly legal to carry rifles and shotguns in quite a few cities. I would imagine she is going to lose big in civil court though.
I live north of Pgh and yes you can open carry, but not concealed in Pa even if you do not have an LTC, you cannot transport the gun in a vehicle unless you carry the gun and ammo in separate compartments. After you arrive at your destination in Pa, you may resume to carry. If you have a license to carry, you can carry either open or concealed with no problems anywhere you like except prohibited areas. And I do conceal carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:02 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I guess you missed the part of him carrying what appeared to be a sawed-off shotgun and the fact that police believe he was out to rob a store. My guess is the only part you read is that he had a gun and got run over.
So, the woman knew this? If I choose to open carry, which is perfectly legal, you are allowed to take the law into your own hands and run me over.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
George Zimmerman's defense was based on little more than his claim of fear. Perhaps we should, as a society, take a strong stand again such a claim being an excuse for attacking someone with a lethal weapon. Anyone who feels George Zimmerman's action was defensible reveals the abortion of logic that is their perspective by questioning this woman's action. Again, he who lives by the gun gets run over with the car.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
George Zimmerman's defense was based on little more than his claim of fear. Perhaps we should, as a society, take a strong stand again such a claim being an excuse for attacking someone with a lethal weapon. Anyone who feels George Zimmerman's action was defensible reveals the abortion of logic that is their perspective by questioning this woman's action. Again, he who lives by the gun gets run over with the car.
Zimmerman's claims were based on the fact he was getting his ass beat and had this occurred in a state without the SYG law the case would have been exactly the same with the exception that the prosecutor could have claimed Zimmerman could have retreated. There is plausible reason for him to be in fear for his life with or without the SYG law and that is the only thing that matters.

If what this woman claims is true she was absolutely justified becsue she had a reason to fear for her life, if on the other hand this person was simply walking down the street minding his own business there is no justification.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If what this woman claims is true she was absolutely justified
Thanks for presenting a consistent argument. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with it, but I can respect an argument that is consistent while there is no legitimate way to respect an argument that would have Zimmerman's action justifiable while the woman's action not justifiable.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 AM

945 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

It happened in the 2100 block of McMinn Street in Aliquippa. Aliquippa police say a witness saw Cameron White walking down a street carrying what appeared to be a sawed off shotgun. She called police, but noticed that White was heading in the direction of a group of children.

Police say she feared White was going to shoot the children, so she ran over him with her car.
White was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Police believe he was actually going to rob the Circle K mini-mart down the road and that she may have prevented the robbery.

They say White was carrying an airsoft pellet gun which had been sawed off to look like a shotgun, and the orange tip had been taken off.

The Beaver County District Attorney says they are not going to charge her with running White over.

If it was a shotgun and not an airgun he might have been able to defend himself. This is a classic example of why not having a real gun is pointless, an airgun does nothing.

If the man pumped 2-3 rounds of a steel shot into the windshield the woman would have been neutralized due to being attacked with a deadly weapon. If someone treats you in this manner (the driver), shoot-to-kill should be in order, the man should be protected by law and the police should condemn this mad-max approach to suspected crimes.

So just remember people, this woman is being exonerated for a crime that she only thought was going to happen. She is predicting the future and then using it as a defense! Unreal...

Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
... while the woman's action not justifiable.
She's claiming he pointed the gun at her, assuming that is true there is no argument whether it was justified. A claim of self defense or fear for your life couldn't be more clear cut.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
She is predicting the future and then using it as a defense! Unreal...
She is claiming the guy pointed it at her.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:45 AM

945 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
She is claiming the guy pointed it at her.
OK, so "standing your ground" seems to be overly acceptable in this thread. Let us remember, she was in a car that could have easily escaped the situation and she was within a steel car with doors and a roof.

She had the option of 'flight' but I assume everyone thinks the fact that children were in the vicinity this is enough to warrant the slaying.

This is very extreme, possibly justifiable but considering in the end she was wrong (it was only an airgun) she should be charge for her mistake.

Similar to all the GZ haters, why did she follow/ram the guy when she had the option to run via vehicle?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
She had the option of 'flight' but I assume everyone thinks the fact that children were in the vicinity this is enough to warrant the slaying.
It appears that you suffer from the same affliction that the OP does--not reading the story before posting. No one was "slayed." The guy had a few minor, non-life threatening injuries.

Quote:
So just remember people, this woman is being exonerated for a crime that she only thought was going to happen. She is predicting the future and then using it as a defense! Unreal...
That defense worked for George...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies