Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You keep trying to prove something doesn't exist by continuing to post in this thread.

If you don't believe, why bother? Who are you trying to convince? Yourself?
I'm doing it for my own entertainment. That's really the only reason to post on this website at all. It's not as if anyone gets swayed by anyone here. And I'm not interested in 'converting' anyone anyway. In reality, don't really care what you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 AM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
You asked why God allowed this to happen. Someone said to read the Book of Job and that's a good place to start. I can not speak for God, nor do I understand the mysteries of God, but I might suggest God allowed this to happen to make His presence known. The young woman was praying and God sends an Angel to help. Perhaps God was trying to send a message of faith and hope. Perhaps God was trying to reach out to the unbelievers through the woman involved. Perhaps God was trying to teach he listens to His children and answers their prayers.

I don't truly know the answer, only God does, but those are some things you can think about.

For me I will accept God sending an Angel to help a woman in need. He answered her prayer and hopefully enlightened us all by this miracle.

I believe in miracles but most of all I believe in and love God.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You keep trying to prove something doesn't exist by continuing to post in this thread.
You need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills.

Neither the poster you were addressing nor myself are trying to prove something doesn't exist.

We, and others, are simply pointing out that it might be prudent to consider and exhaust other possibilities (i.e. "using the brain to engage in a thought process") before just checking off the box marked "The god named Yahweh sent an angel to perform a miracle."

No human knows whether or not a god or gods exist. It is simply more than we know.

Might be there is a god or gods; might be there isn't.

There is, however, no evidence for the existence of a god or gods.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:54 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

Of course there is evidence. Eyewitness testimonies, instances like this, holy books , etc. Now, how strong you believe the evidence is a matter of opinion.

Personally, I look for a rational explanation first. That way you do not look a bit foolish if the "priest" turns himself in. Now, if I was the priest I would let people continue to wonder.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM

551 posts, read 1,589,917 times
Quote:
You need to bone up on your reading comprehension skills.

Neither the poster you were addressing nor myself are trying to prove something doesn't exist.

We, and others, are simply pointing out that it might be prudent to consider and exhaust other possibilities (i.e. "using the brain to engage in a thought process") before just checking off the box marked "The god named Yahweh sent an angel to perform a miracle."

No human knows whether or not a god or gods exist. It is simply more than we know.

Might be there is a god or gods; might be there isn't.

I do believe there is evidence of God, and the hand of God, through the Big Bang theory. Everything had to come together just right in order to create our universe. I do believe God did this. That's evidence enough for me.

See: Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-11-2013, 11:58 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,315,598 times
Quote:
And yet, God, supposedly being omniscent and omnipotent, knows what all of our actions and all outcomes and consequences of those actions will be, before we are even born.

That is, literally, the definition of omniscience.

God, being omniscient, would know--before we are even born--what choices we will make, what actions we will take and the ultimate fate of our souls.

True enough.

Where does your "free will" come into play given that scenario?

God does know what choices you'll make and whether you'll be damned or saved from all eternity. But you don't. You have a range of choices everyday that you make and I doubt you feel coerced from any supernatural influence. Am I going to eat Chinese or Italian? Do I want Iced Tea or Sprite to drink? Will I go to the baseball game or the picnic Saturday? etc.. etc... All these choices are yours to make freely and yet God knows which choices you made from the foundation of the world. Because history in God's eyes is already completed. Like a finished Mona Lisa. Because we live in the temporal sphere in the year 2013 we only see part of the Mona Lisa completed. She still needs hair and eyes etc... But God sees the completed work. That's how prophesy works. In the Third Secret of Fatima the Blessed Mother warned about Vatican II and the destruction and apostasy of her Son's Church. She came to tell the world in 1917 and said the secret should be released in 1960. But God knew that the Council was going to happen as a punishment for the lax faith of the Church. And before the year 1960 came Pope Pius XII passed away and the election of Pope Gregory (Cardinal Siri) was suppressed by the masonic cardinals in the Vatican with various threats. They installed the freemason and apostate Angelo Roncalli as anti-pope and he suppressed the secret and called the abominable council from the pit of hell. And to this day the occupied Vatican is still hiding the Third Secret. Some say a priest with the gift of prophecy has predicted that the real Third Secret will be released in the midst of the Third World War. But people such as myself already know what the gist of it is. It's a condemnation of everything that has taken place in the Church since the death of Pope Pius XII.

Is it your assertion that a person can "surprise" God by their actions? That God is ignorant of the thoughts, motivations, deeds and fates of humans?

Not at all did I assert that.

If you wish to concede that your God is NOT omniscient, then free will can be discussed. But obviously not before then. It can't go both ways.

Yes it can.

Nonsense. Because you disagree with me and cannot discuss these things using actual logic does not in any way indicate you somehow have more understanding or insight than myself or anyone else. What utter BS.
I believe I just did.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Hindus believe in a One God, but a One God represented by many avatars. That's my understanding at least. Someone that is Hindu can correct me if I'm wrong.

There are only so-called "5 Great Religions" anyway: Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam. So, maybe 4 out of the 5 believe in a One God.

The Buddhist gods are more akin to Catholic saints (both of which are in heaven[s] and exhibit supernatural powers) as Buddhist gods are invariably humans and/or will be reincarnated as humans. They are not "gods" in the classical pagan sense.
Wrong.
Buddhism is not a religion and there is no god thingie.
Where are you getting your information about buddhism? Wiki or some such nonsense?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
I do believe there is evidence of God, and the hand of God, through the Big Bang theory. Everything had to come together just right in order to create our universe. I do believe God did this. That's evidence enough for me.

See: Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please provide this evidence of your god thing.
I don't care what you believe.
Show us the PROOF.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course there is evidence.
Of course there is not. You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Quote:
Eyewitness testimonies...
Really? People have actually seen gods? Where? When?

Quote:
...instances like this...
Umm...in what possible way is this event evidence for a god or gods? Because a woman wasn't killed in a car wreck and a man whom nobody can identify was on the scene for a time?

You have very, very low standards with regards to what constitutes evidence of gods.

Quote:
holy books, etc...
So, by that "reasoning" any god or gods ever written of in ancient texts or stories has as much evidence for their existence as any other. What about the Norse Epics? That must be real, actual evidence for the existence of Thor! What about ancient Greek mythology? Must mean Zeus is real! Not to mention the Hindu pantheon, and so on, and so on.

Holy books are by and large some philosophy wrapped up in myth and legend. They are no more evidence of the existence of gods than the works of Homer are evidence of the existence of sirens and the Cyclops.

Quote:
Now, how strong you believe the evidence is a matter of opinion.
Again, wrong. It is not "how strong you belive the evidence" but rather your understanding of what constitutes actual evidence and the standards you apply to the definition of "evidence." Nothing you mention woud hold any water in any court of law or under any scientific study, or be considered true evidence by most rational people. Well, eyewitness testimony could, but there aren't any actual eyewitnesses who've seen deities.

Quote:
Now this I can get behind a little more.

I have heard the argument (and made the argument myself) that the very fact of existence and the fact the universe of space, time and matter even exist could be reasonably seen as evidence for some creative force, power or intelligence. Some cause.

I don't necessarily believe this myself, but I can certainly understand why others might believe it.

I can make sense of someone looking at the diversity and complexity of life on Earth, the balance of things, the mysteries and wonders of reality and the cosmos, and concluding there must be some thing behind it.

It isn't really evidence of a god or gods, but I do comprehend that viewpoint.

I'd like to say again, I am not stating that there IS no god (or gods); I am merely stating there is no real evidence for them and I don't personally default to the belief in a god or gods. I could be wrong, but for me personally, I see no reason to believe in such things.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
You asked why God allowed this to happen. Someone said to read the Book of Job and that's a good place to start. I can not speak for God, nor do I understand the mysteries of God, but I might suggest God allowed this to happen to make His presence known. The young woman was praying and God sends an Angel to help. Perhaps God was trying to send a message of faith and hope. Perhaps God was trying to reach out to the unbelievers through the woman involved. Perhaps God was trying to teach he listens to His children and answers their prayers.

I don't truly know the answer, only God does, but those are some things you can think about.

For me I will accept God sending an Angel to help a woman in need. He answered her prayer and hopefully enlightened us all by this miracle.

I believe in miracles but most of all I believe in and love God.
.....and perhaps the "priest" was sleeping off a hangover in the back of the young woman's car, unbeknownst to her. It's as good an explanation as any as to why he appeared from nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies