Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 09:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You'd hate it if it was, wouldn't you, just like the other mean little things commenting here? Substantive? Who knows. Plausible? Maybe not? Inexplicable? Perhaps. Possible? Could be. You can no more disprove it with snide remarks than I can explain and prove it. You see, that's where faith comes in, or not.
Not too judgemental yourself...are you? You wear your "faith" very self-righteously while you sit on a high horse. Aren't ye of such endless faith taught to "turn the other cheek" and "judge not"??? Such hypocrsiy and that is what ignites the ire in many individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:24 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Why was Jesus crucified?

100% proof God is Catholic, a religion that let's you wear shorts to church and got the hottest women belonging to it. You have to be an idiot not to be Catholic.
If you take into account the word "Catholic" simply means "Church" when translated from Hebrew, all
Christian religion started out Catholic.

Jesus was crucified because he proclaimed he was "The Son of God" and the Jew's didn't buy it.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
You'd hate it if it was, wouldn't you, just like the other mean little things commenting here? Substantive? Who knows. Plausible? Maybe not? Inexplicable? Perhaps. Possible? Could be. You can no more disprove it with snide remarks than I can explain and prove it. You see, that's where faith comes in, or not.
Obviously nobody can "prove" this was a miracle involving an angel. Or disprove it, for that matter. I feel it is just being put forth that the miracle/angel conclusion might not be the first conclusion to reach and settle on as an "explanation.".

Is it within the realm of possibility? Given the perhaps infinite nature of the universe and the little we really know about it and reality, sure. Could be this was a miracle and an angel was involved.

Is there anything about the story that makes it reasonable to assume it was such a miraculous/angelic event?

Not to me, but I grant it could be.

By the same token, it could be just as well the alleged priest is a leprechaun. Equally possible when you get right down to it.

Quote:
Interesting. Says a lot about where lack of faith leads some people. To a place of accusation, belittlement and harsh judgment apparently.
I don't know what the source of your hostility is.

Throughout this thread, I have acknowledged we simply do not know if this was a miraculous happening or whether or not gods exist. Those are just plain facts.

For that, I and others have had derision heaped on us and have been called names, etc.

Seems quite obvious where the accusation and hypocrisy is coming from.

I can respect a person's beliefs and still question why they believe the things they claim to believe.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Jesus was crucified because he proclaimed he was "The Son of God" and the Jew's didn't buy it.
Not to get overly pedantic, but there are historians and biblical scholars who'd disagree with this assessment.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

Throughout this thread, I have acknowledged we simply do not know if
this was a miraculous happening or whether or not gods exist. Those are just
plain facts.
Yes we do know. It was a real flesh and blood priest, with a real name, driving by in a real car and allowed onto the site by a real sheriff. I see nothing miraculous about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/12...st-identified/

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Obviously nobody can "prove" this was a miracle involving an angel. Or disprove it, for that matter. I feel it is just being put forth that the miracle/angel conclusion might not be the first conclusion to reach and settle on as an "explanation.".

Is it within the realm of possibility? Given the perhaps infinite nature of the universe and the little we really know about it and reality, sure. Could be this was a miracle and an angel was involved.

Is there anything about the story that makes it reasonable to assume it was such a miraculous/angelic event?

Not to me, but I grant it could be.

By the same token, it could be just as well the alleged priest is a leprechaun. Equally possible when you get right down to it.

I don't know what the source of your hostility is.

Throughout this thread, I have acknowledged we simply do not know if this was a miraculous happening or whether or not gods exist. Those are just plain facts.

For that, I and others have had derision heaped on us and have been called names, etc.

Seems quite obvious where the accusation and hypocrisy is coming from.

I can respect a person's beliefs and still question why they believe the things they claim to believe.
My comment wasn't directed at you. As for your final sentence, who knows. Faith is faith and people either have it or they don't. Many who were raised "in" a faith leave it. Many who weren't find it somewhere. It truly is inexplicable. But having or not having it is very individual and should not be derided either way. It's that which makes me defensive.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Not too judgemental yourself...are you? You wear your "faith" very self-righteously while you sit on a high horse. Aren't ye of such endless faith taught to "turn the other cheek" and "judge not"??? Such hypocrsiy and that is what ignites the ire in many individuals.
Silly wabbit! I haven't declared either faith or lack thereof. I've simply decried the belittling comments. Assumptions can be tricky, ya know.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
If you take into account the word "Catholic" simply means "Church" when translated from Hebrew, all
Christian religion started out Catholic.

Catholic is a Greek word that means "universal." Ergo, the Catholic Church or sometimes called the Universal Church.

The term church can be roughly translated to mean "gathering community."

The New Testament was first composed in Greek. Paul like many Jews of his time were Hellenistic in culture. That's why in the book of John Jesus is referred to as "Logos." (In the original Greek that is.)

Hellenistic | Define Hellenistic at Dictionary.com

Logos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Under Hellenistic Judaism, Philo (ca. 20 BC–AD 50) adopted the term into Jewish philosophy.[6] The Gospel of John identifies the Logos, through which all things are made, as divine (theos),[7] and further identifies Jesus as the incarnate Logos.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Our local radio stations talk radio programs topic this morning was guardian angels. Caller after caller related their own experiences. Some were dreams of warning, mysterious strangers who prevented tragedy or injury, appearances of loved ones after death in times of crisis or just making their presence known, or just very odd coincidences that were harbingers of some event. It made you wonder and more inclined to believe when you just stop to think about all these occurrences happening to people that you never hear about.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
When you look at different religions, they usually contain "magic." For example:

The Mormon religion contains the magical golden plates, the magical angel, the magical seer stones, the magical ascension of the plates into heaven, etc.

The Muslim faith contains the magical angel, the magical flying horse, the magical voices, the magical prophet, etc.

The Christian faith contains the magical insemination, the magical star, the magical dreams, the magical miracles, the magical resurrection, the magical ascension and so on.

The presence of "magic" is a clear marker for "imaginary."

God is Imaginary - 50 simple proofs

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-12-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies