Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:03 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

I've noticed it's common on this forum to completely ignore something based on it's merits, and just turn it into a way to moan about your political opponents.

I do not like conservative policies a lot of the time, but if they come up with something good then I will let it be known. Seems on here it is completely impossible to acknowledge someone with a different viewpoint having any positive traits at all....is that just normal in American politics?

Back on topic, I don't see a problem with people signing up on a one way trip to Mars. We will need to venture out to other planets eventually and most space agencies are seriously under-funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I've noticed it's common on this forum to completely ignore something based on it's merits, and just turn it into a way to moan about your political opponents.
You have been reading a lot of posts by liberals, Harrier notes.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You have been reading a lot of posts by liberals, Harrier notes.
Exactly my point. You just dismiss it as 'liberal', rather than taking each point on individual merit. What's wrong with taking the best points of liberalism and conservatism and combining them, instead of having two sides pointlessly bickering at each other and trying to block acts just because the other side thought of them?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point. You just dismiss it as 'liberal', rather than taking each point on individual merit. What's wrong with taking the best points of liberalism and conservatism and combining them, instead of having two sides pointlessly bickering at each other and trying to block acts just because the other side thought of them?
Such things exist?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:34 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Normal for this forum.

After all, you have a bunch of phoney 'conservatives' herein who are horrified at the thought of leaving their computer and stepping foot outside of their house and getting a job, much less going to Mars (those who average 10,000 postings or so a year, on this one forum alone, obviously do not work).

I can confidently predict that none of those that apply for a mission to 'go where no Man has gone before' will be a CD 'conservative'.
i wont sign up because by the time 2022 rolls around i will be 64 years old, which will likely be too old to go. were i a younger man, i just might sign up for the adventure of a lifetime.

Quote:

I do not like conservative policies a lot of the time, but if they come up with something good then I will let it be known. Seems on here it is completely impossible to acknowledge someone with a different viewpoint having any positive traits at all....is that just normal in American politics?

Back on topic, I don't see a problem with people signing up on a one way trip to Mars. We will need to venture out to other planets eventually and most space agencies are seriously under-funded.
american politics runs in cycles, from liberal to conservative. and if you think it gets contentious from time to time now, look back in history when there would be fist fights in congress, duels, etc. and there have been times when both sides compromised and go things done, though it usually happened when both side were willing to compromise. what usually happens though is that one side comes in willing to compromise, and the other stands firm regardless of the consequences. that usually leads to further contention by both sides until conservatives get accused of everything from trying to ruin the economy to racism, to wanting to eat babies and destroy the environment, all of which are just not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why did people come as explorers and early setters to this country, knowing they'd probably never return home again? It's all about wanderlust and adventure...and what an adventure Mars would be.
very true. it would be tough going for a generation or two though, and things like good medical care would not be readily available. but perhaps that is what is needed as it would toughen up the colonists.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
very true. it would be tough going for a generation or two though, and things like good medical care would not be readily available. but perhaps that is what is needed as it would toughen up the colonists.
If liberals went to Mars, perhaps they would become conservatives out of necessity.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
Maybe if it looked nice and I didn't need a space suit.

I predict raped women, maybe even cannibalism. No police, so, feminist will learn Darwinian reality when some guy compliments their rear end and they have no court to go to with armed cops and prisons with a big military with guns to back it all up when they want to sue for sexual harassment.

And the potential for human violence is a real concern--for me--but then I've always lived in the inner-cities and not nice suburbs.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Jesus Christ...

It'd be refreshing to go to Mars, just to get away from the type of BS heard in some of these forums.

Rule # 1 when living on Mars: Anyone - and I mean ANYONE - who uses the words "liberal', "conservative", "RWNJ", "LWNJ", any derivation thereof and/or anything political will be the first person put on the menu when the food runs out.

It might be fun living each and every day as if I could die very soon, knowing that food and water must be conserved, resources had damn well better be found quickly and efficiently, etc. Because knowing my death could be slow and painful would be a relief simply because I wouldn't have to hear the political trash being slung around daily in our media.

Some of you people could politicize paint drying. Give it a damn rest, would ya?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I predict raped women, maybe even cannibalism. No police, so, feminist will learn Darwinian reality when some guy compliments their rear end and they have no court to go to with armed cops and prisons with a big military with guns to back it all up when they want to sue for sexual harassment.

And the potential for human violence is a real concern--for me--but then I've always lived in the inner-cities and not nice suburbs.
Mars will be colonized by Occupy Wall Street protestors?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Jesus Christ...

It'd be refreshing to go to Mars, just to get away from the type of BS heard in some of these forums.

Rule # 1 when living on Mars: Anyone - and I mean ANYONE - who uses the words "liberal', "conservative", "RWNJ", "LWNJ", any derivation thereof and/or anything political will be the first person put on the menu when the food runs out.

It might be fun living each and every day as if I could die very soon, knowing that food and water must be conserved, resources had damn well better be found quickly and efficiently, etc. Because knowing my death could be slow and painful would be a relief simply because I wouldn't have to hear the political trash being slung around daily in our media.

Some of you people could politicize paint drying. Give it a damn rest, would ya?
in all honesty, there wont be time for politics, and all the garbage that would be thrown around. the first year is going to be the toughest as the first thing that would have to happen is an enclosed are would need to be built that would handle the growing of food for the colonists. and since the soil needed would not be available, it would have to be a hydroponics farm. once the food supply was secured, only then could the colonists start to deal with the politics of the new colony, and since cooperation would be required in the beginning, the early political efforts would be fairly easy. it wouldnt be until generation four or five that we would start to see the petty bickering on a large scale that we do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies