Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place is a better place to live?
Europe 61 37.20%
America 103 62.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I find it quite interesting how ungrateful most Europeans are, acting like Americans are just dirt beneath their feet. I just wish that Europeans would remember all the things we did for them, we fund pretty much their entire militaries, and we gave billions of dollars to rebuild Europe after WW2 to prevent communism. If it weren't for the US, Europe would be a communist wasteland. As for the people who say China will become better than the US in 10 years, I think you better rethink that. China will have a huge elder population soon and their young will be mostly men. Also, west China is very unhappy with communism, whereas east China is much more okay with it. I think it is only a matter of time before west China rebels. And the American dream is not dead, it's just different than what it used to be, that doesn't mean the sky is falling. The US will continue to be the world super power because it is the only nation with the resources to support superpower status.
Huh? Judging from this thread its Americans who are acting like Europeans are dirt beneath their Feet.

And on a side note, there wouldn't be America as we know it today without Europeans. Why don't Americans remember all the great things Europeans did for them? Say the role France played in the American Revolutionary War.
I would also like to mention that America didn't give money away after WW2 but gave out loans which were paid back. Prevent Europe becoming communist was a vital interest of National Security of the United States after WW2.

Add to that America is essential begging Europe to fund their Millitaries, it would be nonsense for Europe to reject those offers. Afterall the U.S. Military is a very good tenant. Last but not least European Countries have sizable Millitaries themselves and can protect themselves from any outside threat. Europe just doesn't engage in being empires anymore like 200 years ago. The U.S. has gratefully filled that gap, though. Now it has to live with the consequences.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I think regarding the things that really matter, Europe is ahead, though far from perfect. Sure, we don't have a giant military, but then again, unlike the US we are not imperialists anymore. We were like that in the past, going to other places where we did not belong, sticking our noses in other people's affairs, taking their stuff, killing them, etc.

We are not as brainwashed or patriotic as Americans. I don't know many people in Europe saying we are the number one, as if the world were some stupid sports match. Most Europeans don't care if we are number one, we just are what we are, and I am quite happy we are not as obsessed with business and certain other things as most Americans are. Americans always say we are the best, the richest, we have the biggest this and that, bla bla bla. And they don't realize how meaningless those things are to ordinary people.

I live in one of the poorest European countries, but I am content here, I have everything I need, like healthy food, my rented 300 square foot apartment with water and electricity, nice people and weather, safety, freedom, what more can a human ask for? Why would I pick the stress of living in the US instead? I don't like guns, GM food, cars, suburbs, all things military, patriotism, hierarchies, productivity, luxury, etc. When I was younger I thought differently about the US, but I guess it simply takes time to grow up and learn to appreciate what one has and no longer take a good life for granted, even being willing to give it up for an illusion.

I guess it is tough for people from both continents to adapt to the other. Our continents are quite different today, although it might not look that way at first glance, the differences are in the mindset. We humans like and expect what we know. Thus often what one continent thinks is great about it is considered awful on the other and vice versa. Being European, of course I find Europe more appealing. And most Americans will find the US to be more appealing, which will show in the poll of course as there are far more Americans on this board

Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think regarding the things that really matter, Europe is ahead, though far from perfect. Sure, we don't have a giant military, but then again, unlike the US we are not imperialists anymore. We were like that in the past, going to other places where we did not belong, sticking our noses in other people's affairs, taking their stuff, killing them, etc.
"You" are still imperialists, and you still do stick your noses in other places.

The only difference is, the United States does the dirty work with the explicit or implicit approval of "Europe." This especially is true with respect to securing the resources, oil, etc.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I do not understand how some can simply group "Europeans" as if they are one and the same. The French are very different from the English who are different from the Germans. And so on. Switzerland is almost like three countries of its own - the German side, the French side, and the Italian side.

Europeans are not per se any more tolerant than anyone else. There is strong anti-Muslim sentiment in many countries. The French are famous (if exaggerated a bit) for their intolerance for things not French. Many European countries have big issues with gender equality.

But in my mind "Europe" vs. USA is different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"You" are still imperialists, and you still do stick your noses in other places.

The only difference is, the United States does the dirty work with the explicit or implicit approval of "Europe." This especially is true with respect to securing the resources, oil, etc.
Most of our oil, gas, coal etc. comes from Russia, but also South Africa, Qatar, etc., and of course from within Europe, especially Norway. If the US ceased to exist all of a sudden, there would not be any change in our oil, gas, and other supply.

European countries still have their own foreign policies, yes, but much less intrusive ones than the US, though Britain, France and Germany are not exactly neutral, either. The rest is focused mainly on themselves.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:

We are not as brainwashed or patriotic as Americans. I don't know many people in Europe saying we are the number one, as if the world were some stupid sports match. Most Europeans don't care if we are number one, we just are what we are, and I am quite happy we are not as obsessed with business and certain other things as most Americans are. Americans always say we are the best, the richest, we have the biggest this and that, bla bla bla. And they don't realize how meaningless those things are to ordinary people.

I live in one of the poorest European countries, but I am content here, I have everything I need, like healthy food, my rented 300 square foot apartment with water and electricity, nice people and weather, safety, freedom, what more can a human ask for? Why would I pick the stress of living in the US instead? I don't like guns, GM food, cars, suburbs, all things military, patriotism, hierarchies, productivity, luxury, etc. When I was younger I thought differently about the US, but I guess it simply takes time to grow up and learn to appreciate what one has and no longer take a good life for granted, even being willing to give it up for an illusion.

I guess it is tough for people from both continents to adapt to the other. Our continents are quite different today, although it might not look that way at first glance, the differences are in the mindset. We humans like and expect what we know. Thus often what one continent thinks is great about it is considered awful on the other and vice versa. Being European, of course I find Europe more appealing. And most Americans will find the US to be more appealing, which will show in the poll of course as there are far more Americans on this board
I don't know what you are talking about, there are some European countries that still have territories overseas (France, Britain, Spain) it's hard to say the US is imperialist when we never went to another continent that was already controlled by a civilization and decided to claim it for ourselves. The only territories that the US has were won through war, the territories that didn't want to be territories left, the only territories we have are choosing to be with us. The only place I could think of that the US took, was Hawaii, but that is kind of a stretch because it was businessmen in Hawaii who over through the monarchy, not the US government.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Imperialism is not just about land, it is about interference, being a bully, etc.
Any of Europe's overseas territories are free to end their affiliation with Europe, all they need to do is vote accordingly, but they don't seem to want to.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Huh? Judging from this thread its Americans who are acting like Europeans are dirt beneath their Feet.

And on a side note, there wouldn't be America as we know it today without Europeans. Why don't Americans remember all the great things Europeans did for them? Say the role France played in the American Revolutionary War.
I would also like to mention that America didn't give money away after WW2 but gave out loans which were paid back. Prevent Europe becoming communist was a vital interest of National Security of the United States after WW2.

Add to that America is essential begging Europe to fund their Millitaries, it would be nonsense for Europe to reject those offers. Afterall the U.S. Military is a very good tenant. Last but not least European Countries have sizable Millitaries themselves and can protect themselves from any outside threat. Europe just doesn't engage in being empires anymore like 200 years ago. The U.S. has gratefully filled that gap, though. Now it has to live with the consequences.
There wouldn't be the US today without Europe? Seriously? The original settlers of America were exiles back in Europe, they didn't consider themselves European anymore, that's why they came to America, for a fresh start. It was only around 1730 when the British government started to realize the importance of the colonies and began to take control. They taxed Americans to pay for a war that Americans were told they would never pay for, Americans weren't represented in parliament, Americans were forced to house British soldiers. I guess I should be thankful that the Europeans tried to suppress Americans or else we would never have rebelled. The only country that I am thankful for is France for helping in the revolutionary war, but then our revolution became the basis for their revolution and we bailed them out in world war 2 and the Cold War era, so I think our debt is paid off. The US is not begging Europe to let us fund their militaries, we are doing it because Europe can't, Americans are tired of paying for Europe especially when the US has no money. The only thing that keeps us paying for you is that we are afraid of a European collapse if we stop funding your governments. Imagine Europe without American capitalism, tourism, funding, where would Europe be?

Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Imperialism is not just about land, it is about interference, being a bully, etc.
Any of Europe's overseas territories are free to end their affiliation with Europe, all they need to do is vote accordingly, but they don't seem to want to.
Same with the US

Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Lol yea we run around town every day with our American flags chanting "USA! USA! We're number one!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies