Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

Lets cut off all Federal welfare, corporate and for the poor. It is all misguided and wastefull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I'm fine with temporary welfare to help people get back on their feet. I'm against long term/life time welfare (unless it's the severely handicapped) as it just breeds laziness and traps people into a vicious cycle of Government "entitlement" programs all the expense of the hard working tax payers.

The best way to help people is to help them become independent and able to support themselves. And that is impossible to do with these long term welfare programs. IMO the best way to help them is to take people on welfare, put them in job training so they can learn some skills, and then help them get better jobs so they can get off of welfare.

Unfortunatley the Democrats don't want this to happen. They will never allow it as that means they'll lose all their power. They have poor people brainwashed and they take advantage of them.
ok, but what about the welfare that farmers receive. This is my overall point about republicans. you only talk about welfare that deals with poor people, but say nothing about corporate welfare that farmers get.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
So much for that bull**** talk about small government that republicans claim they are. I see nobody railing against welfare to farmers and they are justifying it, yet they claim to be for free markets.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But at the same time, it's keeping the land available for future farming, rather than it being developed into shopping malls and housing developments. In the long run, the US will need this good farmland to be planted with crops as the human population on this planet keeps increasing.
You are correct. I do remember reading this in the links. It is a good thing, because we will need that farm land someday.

I was responding to the poster who said that the poor on welfare do nothing for that welfare. Some don't, but most work at low paying jobs. This is what most people want to ignore. Most families have a wage earner; and the biggest groups qualifying for welfare/foodstamps are children and the disabled.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:25 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Not a big fan of corporate welfare.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 28,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are also given to cover the premium for crop insurance which pays if the crop doesn't produce a harvest.

lol you have zero idea of what you're talking about.

Show me how farm subsidies cover the premium of crop insurance.

Do you understand what Prevented Planting is? Or the difference between MPCI insurance or Crop/Hail?

The only people getting subsidized are the crop/hail insurance companies who underwrite these policies so they can offer them at a halfway decent price. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer them.

We'd have a lot of issues if farmers decided the risk was just too high to grow crops

Old 10-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
So much for that bull**** talk about small government that republicans claim they are. I see nobody railing against welfare to farmers and they are justifying it, yet they claim to be for free markets.
What free market? It doesn't exist! It's amazing at how little economic sense the average American has.

I wonder what percent of America's exports are derived from Agriculture?

What is America's stake/control in the world Agriculture market?

Our government's farm/agricultural policy must be working because the US basically controls the world grain/agricultural products market

Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
There is very little profit (aside form SNAP) to be gained from agriculture. That industry requires subsidization or food would not be so affordable (and by food, I mean real food not processed scraps).

Also, American farms produce food for domestic and international use. Over 100 countries depend on American farms for their livelihood and if those subsidies end, many may starve or be broke simply by needing to eat.

So in essence it is not agri-welfare but agri-stabilization that those subsidies go toward. Unless you like the idea that ConAgra and Unilever along with Monsanto being the ones directly controlling a significant portion of the world's food supply?
Shhh don't tell these economic dunderheads on this board that. Their heads may explode!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
the farmers are usually big companies, most people think farmers are small properties with a few cows. most farmers are huge corporate conglomerates. these "farmers" give lots of money to political parties. all that is happening is the payback. it is the buddy system. loopholes they are working.
presidents, senators etc... gotta pay back they friends

Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
All is see on these threads is people talking the abuses of EBT cards for people on welfare, yet i never a see a republican whine about the massive subsidies given to farmers. Doesn't this sound a little hypocritical?
And CORPORATIONS. Do you have any idea how much? More than we want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies