U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM

3,421 posts, read 934,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
There is very little profit (aside form SNAP) to be gained from agriculture. That industry requires subsidization or food would not be so affordable (and by food, I mean real food not processed scraps).

Also, American farms produce food for domestic and international use. Over 100 countries depend on American farms for their livelihood and if those subsidies end, many may starve or be broke simply by needing to eat.

So in essence it is not agri-welfare but agri-stabilization that those subsidies go toward. Unless you like the idea that ConAgra and Unilever along with Monsanto being the ones directly controlling a significant portion of the world's food supply?
I call BS, because even the heritage foundation, Freedomworks, and Americans for Prosperity, all right wing think tanks acknowledge that the subsidies going to farmers are people who make between 250K and 1M. explain to me how that is little profit. Also, according to republicans, government intervention into the market place is a huge no-no and that competition in a free market brings down prices. Why does the farm industry get exempt from this philosophy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM

I want somebody from the republican party to explain me why they think its ok for subsidies, but even right wing think tanks are upset over just the "farm portion" of the farm bill. They all say its just a massive give away to rich farmers.

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 832,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No. Why would we bite the hand that feeds us? Farmers are the backbone of this country. Of course we take care of them. Where would we be without the fruits of their labors? Those subsidies allow farmers to keep their farms while keeping food prices affordable. Why would we NOT take care of farmers?
The poor are the backbone of this country. Of course we take care of them. Where would we be without the fruits of their labors? Those foodstamps allow the poor to keep their jobs while keeping food prices affordable. Why should we NOT take care of the poor?

Unread 08-12-2013, 11:35 PM

wow, i post a few links from right wing think tanks that rail against the farm subsidies and all of a sudden, i get no republicans arguing anymore.

Unread 08-13-2013, 12:18 AM

6,871 posts, read 1,631,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
There is very little profit (aside form SNAP) to be gained from agriculture. That industry requires subsidization or food would not be so affordable (and by food, I mean real food not processed scraps).

Also, American farms produce food for domestic and international use. Over 100 countries depend on American farms for their livelihood and if those subsidies end, many may starve or be broke simply by needing to eat.

So in essence it is not agri-welfare but agri-stabilization that those subsidies go toward. Unless you like the idea that ConAgra and Unilever along with Monsanto being the ones directly controlling a significant portion of the world's food supply?
You are forgetting that subsidies distort the market and prevent people from going into farming that otherwise would. Mexican farmers can't compete with subsidized American farmers.

Unread 08-13-2013, 12:30 AM

14,966 posts, read 4,496,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
All is see on these threads is people talking the abuses of EBT cards for people on welfare, yet i never a see a republican whine about the massive subsidies given to farmers. Doesn't this sound a little hypocritical?
uhm

the so-called 'corporate welfare' is a TAX BREAK...for DOING A JOB and PRODUCING SOMETHING...99% doesn't even get anytype of check from the government

but regular welfare....is people sitting on their duffs collecting a check from the government for doing nothing

big difference between the two

thread fail

btw the so-called ''''farm bill''''.......80% of the money is for FOOD STAMPS......10% is for al gores biofuel.....5% is for GMO...and about 5% goes to the farmers...........in otherwords its another liberal porkulas bill

Unread 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 486,674 times
Quote:
wow, i post a few links from right wing think tanks that rail against the farm subsidies and all of a sudden, i get no republicans arguing anymore.

Well, if it seemed like you actually knew anything at all about agriculture, maybe you would get more takers. Like most things, there is a lot more to it than what can be gleaned from drive by article reading. First, there are two major types of farming operations. Private and corporate. Private are smaller, independent, family run farms. Corporate farms are large scale entities usually incorporating many smaller farms. For all of your talk of income versus profit margin, you don't seem to understand the costs of farming very well. You allege that "most farmers make between $250K-$1M", while that sounds well and good, and fits quite nicely with the typical leftist mantra of the "evil wealthy and corporations", it doesn't mean what you think it does. Are you even casually aware of the price of business for agriculture? Do you realize that things like combines/threshers/corn harvesters/tractors/grain trucks can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars each? Do you know what the annual maintenance bill is for farm equipment? Do you know how much farmers pay, by region, for things like water for irrigation, seed, hay, fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide, livestock feed, fuel, repair parts, utility bills, etc? Bottom line, while a farmer may make $250K and up, much of that perceived profit it reinvested right back into the operation. Again, it would seem that liberals oppose something just because conservatives seem to support it. They don't really know anything about it, but if Republicans are for it, well, then it must be evil, greedy, exploitative, etc. etc. etc.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever received growing up in the grain belt is "If you want to complain about farmers, it is best not to talk with your mouth full."

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

the so-called 'corporate welfare' is a TAX BREAK...for DOING A JOB and PRODUCING SOMETHING...99% doesn't even get anytype of check from the government

but regular welfare....is people sitting on their duffs collecting a check from the government for doing nothing

big difference between the two

thread fail

btw the so-called ''''farm bill''''.......80% of the money is for FOOD STAMPS......10% is for al gores biofuel.....5% is for GMO...and about 5% goes to the farmers...........in otherwords its another liberal porkulas bill
um excuse me, your own right wing think tanks even acknowledge its a massive give away to rich farmers. go take a look at the links I provided, they all say that the farm portion should be reformed. No where in their analysis do they justify the lame argument that because they produce something, they deserve government. BY the way, we're not talking about tax breaks, this is transfer payments. this is the government giving money to farmers, like it food stamps is money to poor people.

Unread 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM

694 posts, read 439,028 times
Quote:
All is see on these threads is people talking the abuses of EBT cards for people on welfare, yet i never a see a republican whine about the massive subsidies given to farmers. Doesn't this sound a little hypocritical?
Ok, this is my useless opinion...I have absolutely no issues with helping poor people. Poor people who are trying their best to help themselves. Able bodied people who work. I am more than happy to hand over what ever they need. It's the leeches on society that really chaps me.

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 2,046,346 times
Quote:
Because you are uninformed. That's not on the republicans, that's on you.
But keep making things up, it's good for a laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies