U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,686,058 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, this is an interesting thread. I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I don't need a reason to respect Mother Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 PM

320 posts, read 212,519 times
What a silly thread.

Personally, I'm NOT on board with the global warming theory. The earth has natural cycles and of course we contribute, but the solution is simple to allow the earth to run a "normal" cycle without our assistance: continue converting power sources to solar panels, wind and hydrogen plants.

Do you know what I'm more concerned about? The chemicals we put in our water supplies, which eventually impacts our food. Has anyone ever visited Lake Charles, La., or Beaumont, TX? Those areas receive regular notices to boil water because it could cause illness, such as certain cancers. The Gulf Coast beaches are disgusting, especially in the southern Louisiana area. Try black sand for recreation and I'm sure you'll puke.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:44 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
What about the other six years?
What about them? What's your question?
As it says 4 of the 10 hottest years in the US were in the 1930's. The hottest recorded temperature was in 1934. This isn't that difficult to understand. Are you disputing it?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,831,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
What a silly thread.

Personally, I'm NOT on board with the global warming theory. The earth has natural cycles and of course we contribute, but the solution is simple to allow the earth to run a "normal" cycle without our assistance: continue converting power sources to solar panels, wind and hydrogen plants.

Do you know what I'm more concerned about? The chemicals we put in our water supplies, which eventually impacts our food. Has anyone ever visited Lake Charles, La., or Beaumont, TX? Those areas receive regular notices to boil water because it could cause illness, such as certain cancers. The Gulf Coast beaches are disgusting, especially in the southern Louisiana area. Try black sand for recreation and I'm sure you'll puke.
Exactly. It's logical though to choose renewable resources and resources that are from here at home for energy security. You can't argue against energy security.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,183,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
What about them? What's your question?
As it says 4 of the 10 hottest years in the US were in the 1930's. The hottest recorded temperature was in 1934. This isn't that difficult to understand. Are you disputing it?

I think he is referring to the other 6 hottest years being in the 1990's and 2000's as if that still validates alarmist like theories.

Once you factor in urban heat island effects, what I see is nothing more than a trend of cyclical warming. Man-made warming theories are not consistent with the rapid spike of temps in the first 3 decades of the 1900's, followed by a 50 year lull in which CO2 production absolutely skyrocketed yet, temps remained relatively stable until the 1990's.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I am not worried by global warming for a couple of reasons:

It cuts my heating bills.
It lets me get local peaches grown in New Hampshire!
It lets me read entertaining posts about its impossibility by ignorant fools.
And - I'll be dead from old age before it causes most of the littoral development to drown in the rising ocean and brutal tropical storms.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,217,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am not worried by global warming for a couple of reasons:

It cuts my heating bills.
It lets me get local peaches grown in New Hampshire!
It lets me read entertaining posts about its impossibility by ignorant fools.
And - I'll be dead from old age before it causes most of the littoral development to drown in the rising ocean and brutal tropical storms.
Also, you will be able to relax among the Palm Trees of New England!

Old 08-21-2007, 11:26 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
However much I would like to partake of the Methusela serum, I doubt if I'll live that long. However, I can show you where there are cactus growing on the coast of Connecticut.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,183,620 times
Canada was once tropical, just think of the tourism industry possibilities!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 PM

13,807 posts, read 25,843,414 times
I, for one, would love to see pictures of cacti thriving on the coast of anything... the cactus is a plant that thrives in arid regions and last I checked the beach isn't exactly arid..

BTW, it's currently 82 here (normal for this time of day is 95) and my A/C has only came on once in the 2+ hours I've been home. If this is global warming in southern Texas then I fully support it.. although our wild growing cacti may cease to exist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or