U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Status: "Snow-laced trees - the beauty of serenity" (set 6 days ago)

3,617 posts, read 1,640,732 times
Lightbulb Fukushima - Radioactive Waste Into The Pacific Ocean - Have You Heard The Latest And What That Means

I watch and read news from other mainstream USA corporations and entities (e.g., CBS, Fox, NPR...).

Why is there NOT a conversation going on in the USA press about the ramifications of radioactive waste water from the Fukushima disaster?

Checkout the video:

NEWSLINE | NHK WORLD

For reading:
Fukushima Update | #Fukushima leaking radioactive water for

Fukushima Update | Pump and pray: #Tepco might have to pour water on #Fukushima wreckage forever

Fukushima Update | Nuclear News from Japan

Last edited by Naturen; 08-12-2013 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM

12,111 posts, read 5,968,790 times
don't worry the pacific ocean is a very big ocean!!! a few scoops of radioactive material wont hurt anything.. signed tepco..

Old 08-12-2013, 06:37 PM

8,463 posts, read 3,540,559 times
The U.S. Navy dumped barrels of radioactive waste right off the coast of Marin County for years. When they didn't sink, they'd shoot holes in them. As far as I know, there has been no massive outbreak of radiation poisoning in the ocean or the nearby coast -- apart from the occasional five-headed shark. (Just kidding -- there are no five-headed sharks.)

Old 08-12-2013, 07:04 PM

29,422 posts, read 7,998,394 times
Well the tree huggin liberals don't have anybody to scream about is the main problem. They can't wail about evil corporations who only care about money or some failing of the Bush administration for this happening so remain silent. Just like the anti war loons who all went away when Obama was elected. Where is Bob Barker? He hates those whalers from Japan but doesn't mind the whales getting poisoned by radiation I guess. Will make me easier to catch for those evil whalers if they are glowing.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM

1,313 posts, read 396,962 times
The public is more paranoid about radiation than what they should be. From what I've gathered, this poses no health risk.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,340,399 times
They'll have to keep a close eye on the fish population to see if there's been any contamination. The whole thing was pretty botched by Tokyo and TEPCO from the beginning, but a lot of it was a byproduct of freak circumstances. Also, the whole situation could have been handled a lot worse (this wasn't Chernobyl bad).

Still, living there at the time, there was a palpable frustration at the lack of information. The Western media exaggerated everything, though (I mean, there were reports of Tokyo being a ghost town).

Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM

5,863 posts, read 4,426,756 times
News Hour on PBS had a segment on it.

Japan May Create Frozen Ground Barrier to Stop Radioactive Leak in Fukushima | PBS NewsHour | Aug. 8, 2013 | PBS

Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM

19,115 posts, read 10,974,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
The U.S. Navy dumped barrels of radioactive waste right off the coast of Marin County for years. When they didn't sink, they'd shoot holes in them. As far as I know, there has been no massive outbreak of radiation poisoning in the ocean or the nearby coast -- apart from the occasional five-headed shark. (Just kidding -- there are no five-headed sharks.)
You Don't KNOW That

Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 AM

325 posts, read 124,483 times
From RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service this past week:

"Highly radioactive water was detected inside the No. 3 reactor building at the Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear plant, Tepco said. It is believed that the water may have leaked from within the reactor. The water was found to have high levels of radioactive cesium and cobalt, but Tepco claimed none of the water has leaked out of the building itself. A report in December suggested it would take five years to put an end to radioactive water leaks in and around the plant."

Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM

1,172 posts, read 678,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I watch and read news from other mainstream USA corporations and entities (e.g., CBS, Fox, NPR...).

Why is there NOT a conversation going on in the USA press about the ramifications of radioactive waste water from the Fukushima disaster?

Checkout the video:

NEWSLINE | NHK WORLD

For reading:
Fukushima Update | #Fukushima leaking radioactive water for

Fukushima Update | Pump and pray: #Tepco might have to pour water on #Fukushima wreckage forever

Fukushima Update | Nuclear News from Japan
What is that old expression? "That ain't a drop in the bucket"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies