Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 02:56 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I think part of the problem with the rabid anti-gay people is their flawed thinking that being gay is a choice, or learned behavior.
I'm not sure. People like Joseph Nicolosi and Dr. Laura don't feel that it's either of those, I don't think--but that it's a psychological condition over which people have no control but need intensive therapy to fix. I think their views are just as dangerous.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm not sure. People like Joseph Nicolosi and Dr. Laura don't feel that it's either of those, I don't think--but that it's a psychological condition over which people have no control but need intensive therapy to fix. I think their views are just as dangerous.
They're not gay, so they couldn't know. There's plenty of information out there that shows you can't convert someone from homo to hetero. I'd like to see someone try to do the reverse to see if that would work!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM

229 posts, read 170,397 times
I'm not too concerned with ANYONE showing affection in public - it's the shooting, torture and hate-crime that I'm more concerned with.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM

365 posts, read 699,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
In public, what would you do? I was confronted with this very reality today at the grocery store and I was with my five year-old son. It was two men standing infront of us holding hands, and kissing eachother and laughing.

While I admit it made me a bit uncomfortable at first, I took it as the perfect opportunity to explain to my son what "gay" meant. I told him, those are two gay men, and that they are in love.

He said, "cool", like it was nothing and proceeded to tell me about a toy he wanted. I take pride in knowing that my son will grow up to be a level headed, non prejudiced young man. My only hope is that others are raising their kids to be the same way.

What have been your reactions in these sorts of situations?
I think it should be ok too, the kind of human behavior you cant explain to your kids is when couples are killing each other...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:05 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuAnn245 View Post
I think it should be ok too, the kind of human behavior you cant explain to your kids is when couples are killing each other...
You are correct, here is an example, in April 2003 the Tacoma, Washington, Police Chief shot and killed his wife and then killed himself, all in a public parking lot while their children were nearby in the car. The couple were going through a divorce.

If people think gay relationships are so dangerous and unnatural, then explain to me how natural and healthy this relationship was since they were heterosexuals, no better yet, explain it to a kid and try to end it with the “sanctity of marriage” conclusion.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times
I do not think it is good to label people whether they are bi, gay, straight. If you love someone then why does it matter?

I do not if you can convert a person from gay to straight or vise verse. But I've met a gay person who has turned bisexual and married a woman ( I mean I am sure there are still those feelings for the same sex,)

But never say never.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 PM

307 posts, read 521,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliy Plashik View Post
I do not think it is good to label people whether they are bi, gay, straight. If you love someone then why does it matter?

I do not if you can convert a person from gay to straight or vise verse. But I've met a gay person who has turned bisexual and married a woman ( I mean I am sure there are still those feelings for the same sex,)

But never say never.
From my personal experiences I find that many, Though by no means most people are what would be called Bi-sexual. Just that due to pressure from both the straight and to a lesser extent gay community they tend to stay in one of those to camps.

This explains in my opinion SOME of the "Straight people who get corrupted by those Evil Gays" and "Homosexuals who are brainwashed to being straight" incidents.

Random U

Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Unemployment going up.
Thousands of lost lives in the war in Irag.
Immigration problems.
Global warming.
The biggest deficit this country has ever had.
Recession, possibly even a depression coming.
Health Care < or lack of it for many.
We still haven't found Osama.

I don't give a darn who loves whom, who holds hands or who someone sleeps with.
I am thankful that there is still some love left in this world.
We have bigger problems than worrying about who is gay.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:59 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
They're not gay, so they couldn't know. There's plenty of information out there that shows you can't convert someone from homo to hetero. I'd like to see someone try to do the reverse to see if that would work!
So, you think that because of the lunacy of their claims, their views can't be dangerous? When's the last time you witnessed a homophobic person considering a logical argument rather than just irrationally despising homosexuality?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
So, you think that because of the lunacy of their claims, their views can't be dangerous? When's the last time you witnessed a homophobic person considering a logical argument rather than just irrationally despising homosexuality?
Oh, I agree that they're views are dangerous. A fine example is my parents - they're evangelical nut jobs who buy into the idea that if I just went to their church and prayed, then joined the church's homo conversion program, I'd turn straight and get married to a woman. Needless to say, my relationship with them is distant and strained. More "family values" at work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies