Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
anyone care to explain this phrase thrown around by LWNJ's? what does it even mean? no country has this.
Most countries have this. But only those that have made the moral choice that healthcare is a right.

"Universal health care" is a set of minimum standards for preventive, acute and chronic healthcare services that are available to all persons, funded by a common mechanism either public or private. Beyond that description they are as varied as the nations that have implemented them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
To me, "Universal Health Care" means ZERO interference by government in the performance and trade of health care.
Anyone can treat anyone, without threat of prosecution.
No licenses. No permission slips (prescriptions).

The only function for government is to offer a public database where skilled practitioners can record their credentials.

Customers can sign waivers regarding criminal liability. And instead of malpractice lawsuits, institute "Satisfaction guaranteed, or your money back!"
And nothing more.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
A wish-list item among leftist fanatics, where government takes money from those who earn it and either spends it directly on various govt-approved health insurance programs, or gives it in subsidies to people who did not earn it, ostensibly for them to purchase various govt-approved health insurance programs.
Gong.

About half of all the Universal Healthcare Systems in the world are privately run and funded.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
smacking yourself in the eye is not covered under "universal health care."
Sure it is.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
To me, "Universal Health Care" means ZERO interference by government in the performance and trade of health care.
Since healthcare as an industry is impervious to market forces, this is a prescription for a completely broken healthcare system that will quickly price many of not most people out of any access to healthcare services whatsoever.

Kind of like the one we have now. Except worse.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The very definition of "universal" as in "universal healthcare" is that everyone has access to care.

What that means is that basic health care needs are met - vaccines, annual exams, dental work, etc.
No one is left at the mercy of an ER and the accompanying bills that will most likely get paid by those who are paying for insurance.

Is having access to the basics better or worse than having no access at all?

Or are you arguing that everyone should have access to Morton's Steak house?
Actually, dental work is not covered. Not here, anyway. It is only covered for kids, and not for things like braces.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
We already have Universal Health Care... its through private and non-private insurance... however what we have is people who buy and people who don't... when liberals talk about Universal Health Care, what they really mean is for people who don't buy AND buy, SPECIFIC other people will be force to buy for them...
And then there are the folk with preexisting conditions who do not have access to a group policy and are unable to acquire private insurance.

Many people seem to understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch or healthcare. The cost of healthcare today is, in part, what it is because the cost of uninsured and unable to pay, is baked into the cost.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
I'm mixed on this but I still have some questions. See, nothing is free and it seems those country's offering "universal" health care also have at least 15 to 20% more in tax. So based on a 50000 year income that is an extra 7500 to 10000 a year payed in taxes to cover that "free" health care. My premiums come to about 2000/year. why would I want to spend an extra 5500 to 7000 for the same coverage basically. So what if I have to pay a deductible. Most years I don't have to pay anything but premiums so I'll only be paying my 2000/year. Even with the issues I had this year with a heart attack and dialysis the most I'm paying this year is about 6000 incl my deductibles.

Now if our government would cut some spending, such as aid and weapons to country's that hate us and stop offering welfare for illegals perhaps that money could go into a version of universal health care such as a raise in income requirements for medicaid. As of now there is medicaid for the poor so the poor should not be whining. I was poor when I had cancer 15 years ago and with a little bit of WORK (something many don't want to do), the papers were filled out and all my operations at a first rate hospital and a years worth of chemo from a first rate cancer center was covered. It just took a little searching and a few phone calls. Not that hard.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Actually, dental work is not covered. Not here, anyway. It is only covered for kids, and not for things like braces.
Still better than nothing.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Now if our government would cut some spending, such as aid and weapons to country's that hate us and stop offering welfare for illegals perhaps that money could go into a version of universal health care such as a raise in income requirements for medicaid. As of now there is medicaid for the poor so the poor should not be whining. I was poor when I had cancer 15 years ago and with a little bit of WORK (something many don't want to do), the papers were filled out and all my operations at a first rate hospital and a years worth of chemo from a first rate cancer center was covered. It just took a little searching and a few phone calls. Not that hard.
UK total healthcare spending per person - $3480
Public - $2919
Private - $561
Doctors per 10000 - 27.43
Life expectancy - 81.05

Australia total healthcare spending per person - $3441
Public - $2340
Private - $1101
Doctors per 10000 - 29.91
Life expectancy - 81.81

USA total healthcare spending per person - $8362
Public - $4437
Private - $3925
Doctors per 10000 - 24.22
Life expectancy - 78.37

The UK and Australia both have universal healthcare, and still manage to spend less on health than the US does (while both having better outcomes in most cases).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies