Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM

646 posts, read 1,787,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Are you arguing that no white men have the interests of other people in mind, and that races and genders should be represented in accordance with their proportion of the population?

And if not, what would you propose? A quota? Would a black female count as two votes? A black lesbian as three? A blind black lesbian as four?

Or are you just in favor of limiting the rights of white men to be elected to Congress?
Not at all. I'm simply pointing this out as an example of how things currently are. I'm not suggesting that there should be regulations around it, even though it seems like that's what almost always have to happen here in the US to get anything done, i.e. AA.

What do you think are the underlying reasons for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
As far as the Senate, if blacks constitute 13% of the population, shouldn't we expect there to be a similar number in the Senate? The odds for a black person to become a senator is surely since we currently have ONE and only five through all time.
By this you would expect over 50% of the Senate to be women as they make up the majority of the population....

Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Not at all. I'm simply pointing this out as an example of how things currently are. I'm not suggesting that there should be regulations around it, even though it seems like that's what almost always have to happen here in the US to get anything done, i.e. AA.

What do you think are the underlying reasons for this?
For the imbalance or the litigiousness?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
By this you would expect over 50% of the Senate to be women as they make up the majority of the population....
Exactly - sounds like a shocking idea huh? :-)
In many other developed countries this is true.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Actually, its the complete opposite. Blacks folks who strive to succeed are often derided by their own as "acting white" or "selling out." Unless they are trash talking athletes or entertainers. This is a well known problem in the slums and is frequently documented by Bill Cosby, Spike Lee, Henry Louis Gates and scores of others, both black and white.

Most black folks are middle class or above, so I would be curious as to who exactly is "astounded" by a succesfull black professional, of which there are legions. Where do you reside and who are you associating with?

Well, the area I live in has a lot of Middle-class to upper-class blacks, so it's not as much of an issue here, but somewhere where there are not many black people, let alone, well-to-do black people, people have these misconceptions and pre-conceived notions about what it is to "be black". I know someone from the Seattle-Tacoma area that moved down here to Atlanta, and she was genuinely shocked that black people down here went to college (and this was a black woman!) because "they didn't do that up in Tacoma."

So yeah, there are people who are still shocked in this day and age that there are well-to-do, upwardly mobile black people.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
For the imbalance or the litigiousness?
For the imbalance.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,861,563 times
But the 'blame' lies with the women themselves then,they CHOSE not to run or not to vote for another woman.

Personally I think it better to vote for the candidate that best fits your beliefs,but I am silll that way.

I should simply vote by color of the candidate.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Well, the area I live in has a lot of Middle-class to upper-class blacks, so it's not as much of an issue here, but somewhere where there are not many black people, let alone, well-to-do black people, people have these misconceptions and pre-conceived notions about what it is to "be black". I know someone from the Seattle-Tacoma area that moved down here to Atlanta, and she was genuinely shocked that black people down here went to college (and this was a black woman!) because "they didn't do that up in Tacoma."

So yeah, there are people who are still shocked in this day and age that there are well-to-do, upwardly mobile black people.
So true. I admit to being shocked myself, the first time I visited there, at the diversity -- the TRUE diversity, of race, status, rank, etc. -- of Atlanta. It was impressive and made me feel very hopeful. "The City Too Busy to Hate" -- isn't that the line?

Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
tinman: What I challenge is when a company like the one I work for use quota's as a priority for hireing. What happens is they will need say 20 females to make quota. They tend to not interview 50 to get the 20 best. They accept the first 20 to apply....

But that's not a problem with the system, it's a problem with the company implementing a program. I've seen some companies purposely select the least qualified to show that the system doesn't work.
Is it? What about civil service who would give additional points based on race and sex? If say an asian male who gets about the same points as a white male scores an 85% on the test. A hispanic male scores an 80%+ his 5 points its a tie. His race becomes the tie breaker. Did civil service get the most qualidied applicant? I think not.
Same on military advancement exams. Why because quota's must be filled regardless of qualification.
But for the sake of argument. we interviewed all 50 female applicants. None or only a few score as high as their male counter parts. We hire 20 females anyway.... How is this system even remotely just? Remember in our enviroment mechanical ability is required. The majority but not all females tend to have much less experience turning a wrench. LOL Not to say all men can. I have met more than a few who had no clue about hydr, or pnem. systems. Let alone know how to rebuild a simple gearbox.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
But the 'blame' lies with the women themselves then,they CHOSE not to run or not to vote for another woman.

Personally I think it better to vote for the candidate that best fits your beliefs,but I am silll that way.

I should simply vote by color of the candidate.
Maybe they choose not to run because things are stacked against them. Here in the US it's very expensive to run a campaign so that prohibits a lot of people from running who would otherwise be great candidates. Because of this, you may not get to hear all of the views. I agree with you that you should vote for the person with the views closest to yours, but also it almost sounds like the men's views will be more closely aligned with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies