Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:46 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

Rufus Roosevelt, just another gentle prod: this is a highly moderated forum and personal attacks are taken seriously. I'm giving you some elbow room 'cuz you say you're older than me (respect) and new to the computer and this board. But, more fussin in bad words is going to get you an infraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Roosevelt View Post
Shoot man, I have a dream where my eleven little children will some day do that. Sounds like you may have hit a man or two with a bat noman. Are you a democrat? One of those people that talk about racial equality then pass out drugs. Vote for me I'll send your children to school and give you all kinds of free stuff if you'll just vote for me. Been votin for you for years and all I see is more people in prison, more people strugglin to find a job and more people strugglin to hold a job. Stickin your Jackson Sharpton cronies in my face and playin the minstrel fiddle. No thank you son, I may go to my grave votin for white men but I'll go votin for consrvative white men that still believe in God and treatin me with a little respect. May be a little but it is a little. Not paintin shoe polich on they faces and prtendin to give me a equal chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Let's all keep the argument impersonal, please.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 PM

36 posts, read 18,546 times
Thank you ma'am. Thank you ma'am. I don't won't to make no one mad. It is just that i am responding to the TONE of some very hateful sounding speech. Tomorrow I will be 82 years old. I can probalby still type faster than you and I only went to the 5th grade. But I raised elveven children to be honorable men and women without the help of a hand out that wasn't earned many times over by my contributin to the farm ands the good livlihood of Mr. Smithey. I told everyone I do not believe in special treatment. I believe in gettin yore ass outa bed in tha mornin, goin to work, payin the bills and supportin tha famly. If you wants to call me bad for that I can stand it. I'm soon goin to a good place where I don't have to listen to yore ugliness and racist stuff any more. One thing I knows they wont be know Jesse jacksons and Al Sharptons an Clitons an Gores where im goin. Would b nice if that nice young man Obama could win the president but if he cant i vote Mckain.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 PM

Happy birthday and many more to come.

I'm sure we all make some folks mad, as you call it, it's just how mad we make each other and how we say it that makes the difference.

So, talk away, but as we both know a sugar cube sure works better than a whip.

Quote:
Thank you ma'am. Thank you ma'am. I don't won't to make no one mad. It is just that i am responding to the TONE of some very hateful sounding speech. Tomorrow I will be 82 years old. I can probalby still type faster than you and I only went to the 5th grade. But I raised elveven children to be honorable men and women without the help of a hand out that wasn't earned many times over by my contributin to the farm ands the good livlihood of Mr. Smithey. I told everyone I do not believe in special treatment. I believe in gettin yore ass outa bed in tha mornin, goin to work, payin the bills and supportin tha famly. If you wants to call me bad for that I can stand it. I'm soon goin to a good place where I don't have to listen to yore ugliness and racist stuff any more. One thing I knows they wont be know Jesse jacksons and Al Sharptons an Clitons an Gores where im goin. Would b nice if that nice young man Obama could win the president but if he cant i vote Mckain.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM

149 posts, read 386,677 times
I think blacks who complain about getting unfair treatment bring it on themselves with the way they act and carry on. I mean, if you look like a thug, you're going to find that people are going to be suspicious of you.

Hell, I'm black and even am weary of some blacks I see. I don't think speaking English, wearing clothes the way they are meant to be worn, and accumulating wealth makes me "white". If blacks could realize you can still take pride in your heritage and successfully assimilate, than you can acheive prosperity.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:28 PM

36 posts, read 18,546 times
Yes ma'am, but to an old wise negro understand that even well meaning language can be offensive. Now I'm not tryin to say you menat nothin by it but a sugar cube is for a work horse and we al know why a whip was used. I'm sure you are a very nice person but just goes to show you.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Thing is, Rufus, many of the members here are not 82, not black and probably haven't had your experiences. That's why it is both challenging and frustrating to communicate. We are all different and see the world through our own eyes. And sorry if my sugar cube and whip didn't resonate well with you...cuz I sure mean well.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Yes ma'am, but to an old wise negro understand that even well meaning language can be offensive. Now I'm not tryin to say you menat nothin by it but a sugar cube is for a work horse and we al know why a whip was used. I'm sure you are a very nice person but just goes to show you.
You claim to understand racism and have lived it, then why is it you discredit or throw to the side those who have experienced it that aren't black? I have experienced it to the extreme level, yet it didn't happen as a rule. I will give you that in the past, public majority had an opinion that dictated this ideal, but that isn't today.

Today, every race deals with it in different forms at different times in different places. I have been called a cracker dirty white piece of trash by a group of black men and had my wife threatened to be raped in front of me by these same men, yet I do not attend that experience to all black people. I have experienced it. So why is your dealings with racial discrimination to be elevated above that of everyone else?

In your years of experience, it would seem that some wisdom of experience would have been afforded to you. That you might realize that the evils of racism is a individual affliction that effects all regardless of color, yet you seem to be living in the past pushing a past echo of the hatred you experienced. You even mention that those of today were not the perpetrators, yet in the same breath you condemn them of the same actions as a whole?

How is equality to be achieved if each race is nurturing wounds of racist experience and passing it on blaming the next unsuspecting person they meet? Either the buck stops, or the feud continues. Each person decides and their moral character is decided with the choice they make.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM

149 posts, read 386,677 times
Quote:
Sir, I'm 21 and black, and while our experiences are astoundingly different, I'm sure, I can still relate to you on a basic level. I realize for many older blacks, it's difficult to let go of the past extremely hurtful and negative experiences that were a shared commonality amongst many.

However, times have changed considerably, and I believe that most whites today, are not inherently racist. Today's black generation is doing nothing but insuring the black community will stay poverty stricken and in jail, by their pervasive attitudes, lack of motivation, and uninterest in higher education.

We have the power to change this.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
The reality is that while frusterating to whites, affirmative action just isn't going away. Learn to deal with it. The reality is that blacks just forty years ago gained fair and equal treatment in regards to the opportunities they were awarded.

That's why, the likes of Ken Chenault (CEO American Express), Charles Wilkins (high up ATT), Aylwin Lewis (CEO Kmart), Pamela Thomas Graham (CEO MSNBC), Richard Parsons (CEO Time Warner), and Stanley O'Neal (CEO Merrill Lynch), all of whom are black, are so amazing to me.

As a high income black individual, I can assure you these people did not get these jobs based off of needs to fill a "quota" - I find that assumption not only ignorant, but insulting, and quite frankly, racist. These people got their jobs because they were qualified, period.

While I admit blacks need to get their acts together, I think affirmative action needs to stay in place for the time being.
F355 I agree with you those individuals earned their positions. Just as Collen Powell did.I would never doubt their qualifications. Nor do I doubt that many people of minority status get overlooked because of their skin color or sex.
What I challenge is when a company like the one I work for use quota's as a priority for hireing. What happens is they will need say 20 females to make quota. They tend to not interview 50 to get the 20 best. They accept the first 20 to apply.... The same with other minorities. I know I was part of the tagging committee. We refused many outstanding people who were truely qualifed inorder to meet quota. I declined to be apart of this flawed system afterward. The argument that these people can be trained and one day become strong assets can not be denied. Many will. What common business sense would teach us is why extend a learning curve when you have experienced skilled qualified applicants? Because the law says so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies