Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM

808 posts, read 662,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's not global warming anymore. It's now ""climate change." It will probably go back to "global cooling/the coming ice age" once the CC phrase gets worn out!
as was the scare ~ 25 years ago - it was the scare of new Ice Age

all, based on 50 years or less of temperature recordings LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
so do it PRIVATELY and don't impose it on everybody
Not an option for these folks.

Look at it from their perspective. They honestly believe (though some have ulterior motives) that we are responsible here. We are killing the planet and will be the cause of death to life as we know it. They believe this, they believe our lifestyles are not simply detrimental, but an attack on their ability to live.

There are obviously varying levels of belief ranging from the mildly involved to promote political change to the "kill all who disagree to save the planet", but they do believe they are right, that our current society is directly at fault and so the concept of individual liberty is dismissed (ends justifies the means) because they truly believe that they are doing us a favor by saving us from ourselves.

You can argue the sanity of such, legitimacy, etc... but that is why they have no problems disregarding liberties, freedom, etc... In their eyes, you should be thanking them for their concern. Problem is, there have been numerous movements with such belief throughout the worlds history which have resulted in atrocities.

If I had to wager,, I would say that only a small percent of the people are actually devious, lying, and cheating (ie honestly knowing they are not valid in their ideal), but those are the ones "motivating" and "driving" those who honestly believe.

Belief is a dangerous thing and deadly when someone believes their livelihood is on the line.

So, that is why they won't leave you be and why they will justify any infringement to obtain their goals. This isn't an issue that can be left to "you do your thing, I will do mine" as their entire belief involves you completely as you are the one that is the cause of their belief.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Not an option for these folks.

Look at it from their perspective. They honestly believe (though some have ulterior motives) that we are responsible here. We are killing the planet and will be the cause of death to life as we know it. They believe this, they believe our lifestyles are not simply detrimental, but an attack on their ability to live.

There are obviously varying levels of belief ranging from the mildly involved to promote political change to the "kill all who disagree to save the planet", but they do believe they are right, that our current society is directly at fault and so the concept of individual liberty is dismissed (ends justifies the means) because they truly believe that they are doing us a favor by saving us from ourselves.

You can argue the sanity of such, legitimacy, etc... but that is why they have no problems disregarding liberties, freedom, etc... In their eyes, you should be thanking them for their concern. Problem is, there have been numerous movements with such belief throughout the worlds history which have resulted in atrocities.

Yes. And that is why this fanaticism should be exposed and ridiculed.

If I had to wager,, I would say that only a small percent of the people are actually devious, lying, and cheating (ie honestly knowing they are not valid in their ideal), but those are the ones "motivating" and "driving" those who honestly believe.

Belief is a dangerous thing and deadly when someone believes their livelihood is on the line.

So, that is why they won't leave you be and why they will justify any infringement to obtain their goals. This isn't an issue that can be left to "you do your thing, I will do mine" as their entire belief involves you completely as you are the one that is the cause of their belief.

I can't. I am not a religious fanatic
They are.

And that is the whole problem with these folks. It is not only AGW, it is the whole bucket of issues which they consider to be religious truths and are fighting for them with the same animosity and hatred to anybody who does not share the dogma.

Thanks for your input.
It is a pleasure to read.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Surely global warming denialists live in daily fear of being forced to pay higher taxes and be forced to live with greater restrictions in their lives, if global warming if finally proven to be true, rather than a hoax.
Theory is not proof. No proof is in the offing. Still a hoax.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Looking at this thread and others like it, there are people who will believe anything on the Watts Up With That website.

It's used so often as a source of talking points about the "AGW conspiracy!".

Almost every link I see on these conspiracy threads is to that website. What's up with that?
It tells them what they want to hear. It didn't take me long to figure out the denialists here make up definitions for words. An expert is someone who says what denialists want to hear, and a fraud is a scientist whose findings contradict what Republicans are told to believe by the likes of Inhofe and Limbaugh and Bachmann and Perry and their ilk.

Well, what choice do they have? It's either that or face the fact that their leaders are fools, and I don't see that happening soon.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Fair enough and while Hansen has the credentials tell me why I should I trust someone to be present unbiased science wh has been arrested at environmental protests and once compared coal trains to the Nazi death trains of WW2?
Because he has the credentials and his findings stand up to scrutiny. That's all that matters. Sorry if he said something that hurt your feelings, but that doesn't change reality.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Because he has the credentials and his findings stand up to scrutiny. That's all that matters. Sorry if he said something that hurt your feelings, but that doesn't change reality.
He lost credibility by politicizing his beliefs.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
There you have it folks. Authority, that is all that matters. Authority, by name, by title, by position one is correct!

Kiss their feet folks, you accept without questions, peasants don't question, they aren't smart enough to. That is what these people think of you.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:

No, they don't.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He lost credibility by politicizing his beliefs.
With whom? People who say things like "no one has ever compared volcanic and anthropogenic CO2 emissions, but I know which is greater" and are wrong on both counts? Then when corrected, dismiss the facts as "junk science"?

I don't think having credibility among denialists such as yourself matters all that much. What matters is scientific credibility. I mean, of course the guy has no credibility with the likes of you; his findings contradict what Republicans have instructed you to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies