Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It has more basis than you can fathom. Today the world glorifies evil .. look at the thug music with lyrics such as if you can't get a job go steal and rob.. go kill a cop. The world runs to the worst kind of evil and supports it. It is cool to be bad.

It was not like that in the years past because people had a moral God that directed them.. and it permeated into our culture..

good is bad,, and bad is good..liberals creed ..

today watching NBC's Matt Lauer was an example..as he watched a segment on legalizing pot and the cops giving the pot smokers munchies.. this is insane and the news people laugh because it is quite amusing what is happening to our culture as drugs will be glorified as the drugs are accepted. It is a slippery slope and no one is held accountable today. No morals on TV anymore.

There is nothing noted in the Bible regarding the use of pot to be immoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
It has more basis than you can fathom. Today the world glorifies evil .. look at the thug music with lyrics such as if you can't get a job go steal and rob.. go kill a cop. The world runs to the worst kind of evil and supports it. It is cool to be bad.

It was not like that in the years past because people had a moral God that directed them.. and it permeated into our culture..

good is bad,, and bad is good..liberals creed ..

today watching NBC's Matt Lauer was an example..as he watched a segment on legalizing pot and the cops giving the pot smokers munchies.. this is insane and the news people laugh because it is quite amusing what is happening to our culture as drugs will be glorified as the drugs are accepted. It is a slippery slope and no one is held accountable today. No morals on TV anymore.
Certainly a person's character or morality is a factor in whether that individual chooses to murder, but let's look at your claim in the context of history.

Murders are down from the relatively recent past. This is an objective fact.
1928: 399
1965: 395
1973: 864
1974: 970
1988: 660
1989: 742
1990: 851
1991: 927
1992: 943
1993: 855
1994: 931
1995: 828
1996: 796
1997: 761
1998: 704
1999: 643
2000: 633
2001: 667
2002: 656
2003: 601
2004: 453
2005: 451
2006: 471
2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 435
2012: 506

So in your opinion was morality higher in 2011(435) than in 1974(970)?

Heck look at the number of murders in 1928? It was very close to the number of murders in 2011. Although to be fair there were probably nearly a 300,000 more people in Chicago in 1928 than in 2011, but still the number of murders are not for off from one another.

So in your opinion was the level of morality in 2011 similar to what you perceive the level of morality in 1928?

Again when you look at the murder numbers historically it is very difficult to support your claims that morality or evil is the key to a lowering or increasing murder rate, because using that logic you'd have to say morality is getting better comparatively because the murders are far fewer.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
The bad guy just knows that, in any crowd, probably a few people are. And he won't know who, or where they are, until the bullet hits him.

It's enough to make a mugger or rapist, consider another line of work.
That doesn't seem to be the issue in Chicago. If it were, why is nearby Detroit three times as murderous despite having fairly relaxed concealed-carry laws?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
That doesn't seem to be the issue in Chicago. If it were, why is nearby Detroit three times as murderous despite having fairly relaxed concealed-carry laws?
Gary Indiana which borders Chicago has much less gun control and their violence is 3 times of Chicago

Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella2 View Post
Would stop and frisk work in Chicago? I know a judge recently ruled that it was racial profiling and unconstitutional. But something has to be done to remove weapons from the hands of juveniles, mentally ill and violent criminals. Choices: constitutional rights v safety and security.
Constitutional Rights..... every time.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty to gain safety deserve neither liberty or safety"

Ben Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I get the Obama thing.

I also get that NOLA is the poster child for gun violence and open carry is permitted.
You are obviously trying to make the connection between a high rate of gun ownership and the permitting of Open Carry to a higher rate of violence with a gun.

I live in small town Ohio where much of the population owns guns and Open Carry s also permitted.... Funny though, that the streets where I live are not running with blood.

You fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yeah, I followed your link. NOLA's murder rate by gun is much, much higher than any big city. It was nearly double the number 2 city.

The whole gun control nutters and their insistence that if more people have guns fewer people will die rhetoric is ignored.

I don't waste my time. There are very few people in the city or surrounding suburbs who think more guns in the hands of more people is the solution to gun violence. Again it is as they say crazy talk.

Of course we could end a lot of these debates or least some of it could be settled if the government was allowed to study gun violence in a more comprehensive manner and wasn't being blocked by the gun lobbyists and the politicians who support the gun lobby.
You mean the FREEDOM lobby, right? I guess you don't like freedom. We have the FREEDOM to own firearms, protected by the constitution, so if you don't like that, you are saying you don't like freedom.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Constitutional Rights..... every time.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty to gain safety deserve neither liberty or safety"

Ben Franklin

You are obviously trying to make the connection between a high rate of gun ownership and the permitting of Open Carry to a higher rate of violence with a gun.

I live in small town Ohio where much of the population owns guns and Open Carry s also permitted.... Funny though, that the streets where I live are not running with blood.

You fail.

You mean the FREEDOM lobby, right? I guess you don't like freedom. We have the FREEDOM to own firearms, protected by the constitution, so if you don't like that, you are saying you don't like freedom.
Gun nuts. Fewer and fewer American households are choosing to own a gun. Most of the people whom I know that do own a gun, own just one or maybe two.

It is coming, the cultural tide is turning. For gun nuts it is not sustainable long term that fewer and fewer gun owners will elect enough gun nut legislators to prevent the inevitable gun laws that will come.

I remember the anti-homosexual marriage wing of the conservative movement. They were convinced that a state would never support homosexual marriage. They used to boast how it had never passed, then it did and now it's passed in many states.

The gun lobby and gun nuts will suffer that same political fate. They will be certain they can't lose until they start losing.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city
August 14, 2013 7:44 PM
By Danielle Nottingham

(CBS News) CHICAGO -- The Leak and Sons funeral home has been on Chicago's South Side for 80 years. Spencer Leak Sr. arranges 2,000 funerals a year. More and more, they are for shooting victims.

Leak says he's arranged about 45 gun-violence-related funerals so far this year.

That's about the number of murders last year in Seattle and Tampa, combined.

"A significant portion of my day is spent trying to counsel with mothers who have lost sons through gun violence," Leak says. "I saw three mothers over the weekend. I'm waiting to see a mother today, possibly another."

"My heart goes out to her, because I know what's happening to her ... I just can't turn her down or away," he says.

Leak says the hardest part of his job is "the age of the young people."

"The fact that they are victims of just rage, rampant violence, not necessarily directed toward them," he says.
One was Jonylah Watkins. She was hit by a bullet meant for her father.

"I buried this little baby -- six months old -- the most beautiful baby you would ever see," Leak says. "A baby girl killed in her father's lap. That just goes all through me -- it makes my stomach turn to have to do that. I'm angry, I'm sad."

"I just worry about my grandchildren having to live in a city that's so divided that we're destroying ourselves," he says.

Funeral director says Chicago gun violence destroying city - CBS News
When will a politician have the strength to say what everyone already knows. It's not automatic weapons, extended clips, assault rifles or crazed religious nuts that are the problem. It's poor, inner-city black people with stolen handguns?

I'm not advocating this by any stretch but if gun control proponents were serious about making the streets safer they'd go Ross Perot style & cordon off the worst neighborhoods in Chicago/DC, et al & go door-to-door confiscating all the illegal guns. Gun violence would drop 95% immediately.

The problem is it's much easier for the PC crowd to make symbolic gestures like banning assault rifles (which account for only about 1% of gun violence) or take guns away from legal gun owners than to admit that it's the poor black people who are the problem & then fix it.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
How did you get that idea?

So we need to be unarmed because gang member don't value human life..yet the adds up.

as for gang members, if they were getting shot at by law abiding men and women, they would either be weeded out via attrition or would quit..

NYC is a police state safety at the cost of liberty is never a fair trade every.., and stop and frisk is over, lets watch the crime rate soar.
What do you think? That law abiding citizens will start hunting gang bangers for sport? What fantasy world do you live in?
You think people are going to stumble into gang shootouts and start taking them all out? (Do you know anything at all about gangs and how they operate? They don't generally line up in the street like it's the OK Corral)
If you, as a law abiding gun owner, see two parties exchanging fire, will you fire on them both? Or will you use your magical clairvoyant powers to determine who's a good guy and who's a bad guy?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Certainly a person's character or morality is a factor in whether that individual chooses to murder, but let's look at your claim in the context of history.

Murders are down from the relatively recent past. This is an objective fact.
1928: 399
1965: 395
1973: 864
1974: 970
1988: 660
1989: 742
1990: 851
1991: 927
1992: 943
1993: 855
1994: 931
1995: 828
1996: 796
1997: 761
1998: 704
1999: 643
2000: 633
2001: 667
2002: 656
2003: 601
2004: 453
2005: 451
2006: 471
2007: 448
2008: 513
2009: 459
2010: 436
2011: 435
2012: 506

So in your opinion was morality higher in 2011(435) than in 1974(970)?

Heck look at the number of murders in 1928? It was very close to the number of murders in 2011. Although to be fair there were probably nearly a 300,000 more people in Chicago in 1928 than in 2011, but still the number of murders are not for off from one another.

So in your opinion was the level of morality in 2011 similar to what you perceive the level of morality in 1928
Again when you look at the murder numbers historically it is very difficult to support your claims that morality or evil is the key to a lowering or increasing murder rate, because using that logic you'd have to say morality is getting better comparatively because the murders are far fewer.

Chicago is a morally corrupt city.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Chicago is a morally corrupt city.
Ok, but you said the murder rate reflective of immorality or evil and again from an objective standpoint, that has decreased a lot.

In the 1990's, there was an average of 824murders a year

From 2000-2009 there was an average of 532 murders a year a huge decline of nearly 300 fewer murders a year.

So far from 2010-2012 there has been an average of 459 murders a year.

Again using the criteria you laid out that must mean that in your opinion the morality of the city of Chicago is increasing and the corruption decreasing because murders have declined so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies