Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times

Advertisements

The issue about smoking is that second hand smoke impacts everyone AROUND you as well. I can make personal choices about not having risky sex, or watching my diet, but if there aren't regs about smoking in public places, it's pretty hard to stay away from second hand smoke. One smoker sitting near me in a restaurant impacts my health. No one is saying that smokers can't smoke--they just can't do it where it hurts other people. Why is a smokers rights more important than mine? It's an inconvenience to have to step outside to smoke at a restaurant, but I can't step outside to eat so I won't be exposed to second hand smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,454,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You have a valid point. The fish being caught off the west coast are showing radiation.
Those fish swam over from Japan.

What else ya got?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:28 AM

15,045 posts, read 8,616,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And that's just another reason why we need to get the government totally out of health care.
Yes, but it will never happen so long as people in large majority fail to understand the relationship between disease and the healthcare establishment.

We've been brainwashed and trained to accept whatever the man in the white coat tells us as the indisputable truth .... the reality is, so has the man in the white coat ... he ALSO believes that what he tells you is the indisputable truth. But he is no more immune to believing lies than you are. He's actually undergone much more "training" than you have. And the nature of this "training" is what people must recognize.

Everyone understands that we train dogs to sit and stay and roll over. We train soldiers to kill and sacrifice their lives. We train animals to do all sorts of tasks that offer no benefit to them, yet they do it, because we've trained them to do it. This works in the same way with doctors and nurses and patients. They are trained to be the "authority" on health matters, and we are trained to trust them. But neither the patient or the doctor questions the doctor's "training" ... yet he's only doing what others trained him to do. Do we know these others who trained him? Do we blindly trust these others have properly and accurately trained the doctor we blindly trust?

The bottom line is, doctors are just people like everyone else ... there is no magical quality that they possess that no one else possesses. They are neither immune to being deceived or told inaccurate or false "facts", nor are they immune to considering their own self interests, going along to get along, because it is in their best interests to obey the rules.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Simple. Control over others.
That's part of it ... but there is more to it than that ... I believe.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hilarious. An addiction is just about the most basic definition of control. An addiction controls you, not the government. And I'm a smoker.
You missed the point. The government is exploiting the addiction under the guise of caring. Every pack you and I buy is like paying a fine for our consumption. They've systematically started fining anyone that; drives, heats their homes, uses electricity, uses a phone, smokes, drinks...etc.

EXP: Here in Cali we are taxed nearly $1.2T each year... yet the politicians are still bankrupting us.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,780,655 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
You have a valid point. The fish being caught off the west coast are showing radiation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Those fish swam over from Japan.

What else ya got?
Holy crap that is an ignorant thing to say.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:
You missed the point. The government is exploiting the addiction under the guise of caring. Every pack you and I buy is like paying a fine for our consumption. They've systematically started fining anyone that; drives, heats their homes, uses electricity, uses a phone, smokes, drinks...etc.

EXP: Here in Cali we are taxed nearly $1.2T each year... yet the politicians are still bankrupting us.

Beat me to it.

And northnut, aren't we indeed arguing witht he prohibitionists on the marijuana thread about their incessant need to control others when they don't agree with their choices?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The issue about smoking is that second hand smoke impacts everyone AROUND you as well. I can make personal choices about not having risky sex, or watching my diet, but if there aren't regs about smoking in public places, it's pretty hard to stay away from second hand smoke. One smoker sitting near me in a restaurant impacts my health. No one is saying that smokers can't smoke--they just can't do it where it hurts other people. Why is a smokers rights more important than mine? It's an inconvenience to have to step outside to smoke at a restaurant, but I can't step outside to eat so I won't be exposed to second hand smoke.
No matter what the issue at hand is ... the tactic is always the same ... pit one against the other .. and it is so easy to do.

The entire premise of the danger of second hand smoke is yet another example that if you tell someone something often enough, they'll believe it is true, even if it makes absolutely no sense at all. Some will argue that 2nd hand smoke is even MORE dangerous than first hand smoke .... and people believe that nonsense too. This is not unlike the wacky tactic used by the vaccine proponents who will insist that everyone needs to take their vaccines in order not to endanger others. But if the vaccine works, then how can an unvaccinated person be any threat to the vaccinated person? The vaccinated person is supposed to be protected by the vaccine, right? But ... but ... but ....

This is the same basic theme and tactic .... they want the idiots who will take anything they are told to take, to put pressure on, and demand that the others who refuse to take the poison are forced to take it to safeguard everyone else ... just like they want the non smokers to pressure the smokers, claiming harm from 2nd hand smoke. It's a total fraud ... and it's painfully obvious.

But nothing illustrates the idiocy of leftist authoritarian mentalities like the vaccine debate, and how twisted the logic in insisting that vaccines absolutely protect you from the disease, only to turn right around and claim that the unvaccinated people are a threat to the vaccinated ones. Reconciling that contradiction is impossible ..... and the same bloody brain dead lack of logic permeates the entire premise of the dangers of 2nd hand smoke. It's just a lame excuse for the authoritarian to claim the right to tell others what they can and cannot do.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,164,804 times
Quote:

What's stopping you from just.....not paying that tax in the form of not buying cigarettes? It's your choice to smoke, it's your choice to continue an unhealthy habit. You could easily choose not to have the government control you with taxes yet you choose to let it continue. And then you complain about it. Who's fault exactly is it that you continue to smoke & fork over money? It's your fault, nobody else's. Take responsibility for it instead of blaming everyone else for your choices.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,164,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Beat me to it.

And northnut, aren't we indeed arguing witht he prohibitionists on the marijuana thread about their incessant need to control others when they don't agree with their choices?
Huh? How is this even the same thing? I'm not calling for cigs to be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies