Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 PM

120 posts, read 193,697 times

Advertisements

It's so funny because I'm friends on Facebook with all my Christian friends from my high school, and even they have their profile pics changed to the equals sign.

Most of them are idiots and I can see why they're easily swayed by liberals, who frame the gay marriage argument as "We're expanding a right to a group from which it was previously withheld", as if there's always been an inherent definition of marriage that it's "two consenting adults" and throughout history there's been a bigoted conspiracy to disenfranchise gays. It's like the new cool thing for people my age to be pro-gay marriage. Everyone thinks they're part of some "civil rights" movement when really they're just trying to change a definition.

By the way, I'm not religious, so I don't think that some supernatural bearded guy instituted marriage. I just think it's funny how the liberals think they're less stupid by defining marriage with a definition they pulled out of their ass.

Oh, and this perfectly summarizes my opinion on gay adoption:

Adam Carolla on Gay Parents vs Straight Parents - YouTube

Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Yes, it is cool to be supportive of the dignity and equality of LGBT citizens.

The majority of Americans are now in favor of marriage equality. To quote conservative author and commentator George Will: "The opposition to gay marriage is literally dying off."

It has nothing to do with being "swayed by liberals" or "changing a definition."

Recognition of the relationships in the LGBT community is an international movement, not some local partisan political campaign.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,710 times
I assume someone was asking the same questions about women rights, children's rights, black rights, and employers rights. I guess to want human rights is just a cultural fad.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Nah, it's just that the principle of equality has taken a firm hold on the younger generation's value system. For some older folks like you, equality remains a dirty word and a principle that is applied sporadically and only if convenient.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
It's so funny because I'm friends on Facebook with all my Christian friends from my high school, and even they have their profile pics changed to the equals sign.

Most of them are idiots and I can see why they're easily swayed by liberals, who frame the gay marriage argument as "We're expanding a right to a group from which it was previously withheld", as if there's always been an inherent definition of marriage that it's "two consenting adults" and throughout history there's been a bigoted conspiracy to disenfranchise gays. It's like the new cool thing for people my age to be pro-gay marriage. Everyone thinks they're part of some "civil rights" movement when really they're just trying to change a definition.

By the way, I'm not religious, so I don't think that some supernatural bearded guy instituted marriage. I just think it's funny how the liberals think they're less stupid by defining marriage with a definition they pulled out of their ass.

Oh, and this perfectly summarizes my opinion on gay adoption:

Adam Carolla on Gay Parents vs Straight Parents - YouTube
Maybe they don't think it's 'cool' to be an ignorant bigot?

Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Yes, equal rights is pretty cool

Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
No. I believe in freedom. Less government.

No gay man or woman has a right to be married in your church, in front of your god. They have the right, as do all americans to be married to the one person they live in a legal way. That has nothing to do with your God.

its not about being cool, its about understanding freedom

Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Maybe they don't think it's 'cool' to be an ignorant bigot?
'Yes, because not thinking the government should get involved in marriage is clearly being an ignorant bigot. lols.

You should really look in the mirror.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:42 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
It isn't "cool" in the sense that you are thinking. It is "cool" in that it feels right. There is a letting go of the fear that people who live their lives differently than you do will somehow take something away from you. For many of us, that fear never existed.

Millions of young adults were raised without the level of indoctrination that their parents had experienced in their formative years. If no one tells you as a toddler that boys aren't allowed to love other boys, and society in general is pushing equality... you aren't going to automatically embrace this idea that only one combination of consenting adults are allowed to formalize it. Some older folks are bewildered and disgusted that their offspring's generation feels differently than they do, but they are the ones who raised us all secularly!

ETA: This isn't strictly liberalism/conservativism. I hold very fiscally conservative views, and socially liberal ones.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
I am not gay, nor would I ever be, but I do have gay friends....

yanno, if your Christian, you would realize, what people do with they're lives is none of my business...and, they are just as equal as you or I.
regardless, get your own house in order, before going out and judging the homes of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies