Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM

367 posts, read 959,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I never had those teachers in high school either.... Dang-it
This^ Seems like the boys talk too much and to the wrong people. In my day a guy would have banged her like a screen door in a hurricane, kept his mouth shut, and gone back for more. Show me a teenage boy who claims to have been damaged by banging an older woman and I'll show you a liar. Show me a teenage boy who realizes he is the luckiest kid in the world to have a sexual adventure not involving his own palm and I'll show you a normal kid.
Yes, there is a double standard and there are valid biological reasons for there to be one. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, this comment will probably go over like a lead balloon, but here goes. Whenever I hear about one of these female teachers seducing some 16 year old boy and the Parents are saying he will be "scarred for life" I have to laugh. Yes, if a young lady were seduced by a male teacher I could see that, but if a 16 year old boy has sex with an older female do you really think he is damaged in any way ?? Puleeze !!!! I was a young guy once and if that happened to me my buddies and I would all be high fiving each other ! In fact, those of us who were lucky enough to have a Mrs. Robinson in our past are probably very happy about that opportunity.

Maybe it isn't right, but scarred for life is a little dramatic, I think.

Don
The only people scarred for life are the parents. The dad is probably jealous and the mom is having difficulty with the idea that her little boy has grown up.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
Totally agree. I don't think it is as damaging as it's made out to be, especially when the student is a boy. Let's be honest, one doesn't "seduce" a hormonal teenage boy.

IDK, having a relationship with a student is definitely sketchy, but if its an actual relationship, not some sort of "if you do X I'll give you a good grade" I can't see it being too much worse than other relationships with age differences where one is a teenager. The only thing that makes it worse is the public shaming if it comes out, but inherently more damaging? I doubt it. Certainly there are exceptions where the relationshp is truly coercive, though, and that is why we need laws in place, cause it's a lot easier to just prove it happened than to prove why.

~Katy
I agree. For boys anyway, at that age many are having sex anyway, so to them it would not be scarring just because the person they are doing that with is 22 or 24 instead of 16 or 17. To the guy it's the same thing, it's not like he's really being coerced into doing something unknown and damaging. It's far different than someone messing with actual kids, who are like 10 or 12.
And for girls, I don't know. I mean they are also having these sexual relationships by that age, so maybe it's not scarring to them, either, if they happen to be doing this with a teacher- but I could see where there is a little more power or control there, maybe the female student getting seduced by the teacher's power, feeling she can't say no, who knows.

I'm not saying any of this is right, but without a doubt there is no way it's damaging to a boy- the boy is not a victim in these cases, the boys are probably the ones pushing for it to actually happen, hitting on the teacher, etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:58 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I say no, it was not always like that. The OP is talking about female teachers.
It was always like that with male teachers though. I think probably the permissiveness of society has allowed these female teachers to do things that teachers didn't used to do.

We had a male 8th grade English teacher who had an affair with one of his students. He was really in love with her and when she finally got him to go public with their "love" she dumped him! It was just a game to her.

I'm known of many instances of male teachers dating students--I used to be a teacher so I saw it. Not until the last twenty years or so did we start hearing about women teachers. Maybe there were a few that we never knew about but I never heard of any.
Yup. Women had a lot more to lose 20 years ago, especially teachers or any woman who held an important job.

It's all about the power, not the sex, most of the time, for both men and women. In occupations that don't deal with children, female bosses will go after young men who are legal adults, but get away with the abuse because everyone is of legal age. But the intimidation, threats, and consequences for the young guys are just as damaging emotionally as they are for kids.

I went to high school in the early 60's, and had a classmate who was caught fooling around with the wife of a locally prominent businessman's wife. She was the aggressor. The following scandal and divorce destroyed her family; her daughter was the same age as her underage lover, and she was forced to leave town. So was the boy. Neither ever came back.
I don't know if the boy bragged or not. But he sure paid a heavy price, whether he did or not. We were seniors, and he was on a fast track for several college scholarships that never happened. Another kid I knew got both, and I went to college with him.

No one was arrested, but the woman drank herself to death a few years later.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
By "new trend" I mean in the last 20 years.
This is the latest case:
Lawyer blasts teacher's sentence: 'They are boys and she is a woman' - latimes.com

It seems like only a month or two goes by before yet another story comes out about female teachers caught having sex with high school or even junior high students. The first famous case I remember was teacher Mary Kay Letourneau in 1994 have an affair with a 14 year old boy and having his child.

When I went to school in the 60s and 70s I never heard of this sort of thing happening. Is it a newer trend or has it always been there and just been covered up in previous generations? Some people say there is nothing really new, things just have different versions at different times, so maybe this isn't new, but just the latest version of things covered up in the past.

What do you think?
I am willing to guess; it is a little of both. Newt's first wife was one on his teachers and much older then him. I just think with 24/7 we are more aware of it and I think today's morals have gone down hill, so open sex is more common.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I'm guessing the boy had nothing to do with the law getting involved...the parents may go after the woman who's the mother of their grandchild, but they'll probably lose out on not only the grandchild, but their son as well. Bet you when he's of legal age he'll be outa there!!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
I went to school in he 70's and it's always been there.
Only reason why women are Being caught,is being because we are more aware of it now!
I can remember in 6th grade one of the school women counselors sleeping with multiply students.She even bought one her favorite kids a motorcycle.One trend i always notice,women teachers pick are troubled students from troubled background in the inter city. Nobody ever suspects a middle age women teacher helping a bunch of inter city youths after school at her house

Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Is there any evidence (other than ~2% that's statistically always part of any sampling) that high school boys really are "scarred" or "traumatized" or suffer ANY psychological consequences from these affairs with their teachers?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM

285 posts, read 426,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The only people scarred for life are the parents. The dad is probably jealous and the mom is having difficulty with the idea that her little boy has grown up.
LoL!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,398,394 times
The relationship between an adult and a minor is a very serious crime, no doubt there is the psychological manipulation, in the various crimes, committed by the teacher, I would know what kind of future will have the baby conceived in this immoral situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies