Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times

Advertisements

By "new trend" I mean in the last 20 years.
This is the latest case:
Lawyer blasts teacher's sentence: 'They are boys and she is a woman' - latimes.com

It seems like only a month or two goes by before yet another story comes out about female teachers caught having sex with high school or even junior high students. The first famous case I remember was teacher Mary Kay Letourneau in 1994 have an affair with a 14 year old boy and having his child.

When I went to school in the 60s and 70s I never heard of this sort of thing happening. Is it a newer trend or has it always been there and just been covered up in previous generations? Some people say there is nothing really new, things just have different versions at different times, so maybe this isn't new, but just the latest version of things covered up in the past.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,830 times
I never had those teachers in high school either.... Dang-it

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Probably always there.

I was never one of those lucky guys.

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher (HQ music video) - YouTube

Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
It was always there, we had one who taught 8th grade science. It's just no one used to care, the boys saw it as a notch on his belt and if their dads found out they were proud of their boy.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
Always there. I know of one which went the other way (older male teacher with female student); they couldn't even do anything official to him because she was above age of consent, though he did resign.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I say no, it was not always like that. The OP is talking about female teachers.
It was always like that with male teachers though. I think probably the permissiveness of society has allowed these female teachers to do things that teachers didn't used to do.

We had a male 8th grade English teacher who had an affair with one of his students. He was really in love with her and when she finally got him to go public with their "love" she dumped him! It was just a game to her.

I'm known of many instances of male teachers dating students--I used to be a teacher so I saw it. Not until the last twenty years or so did we start hearing about women teachers. Maybe there were a few that we never knew about but I never heard of any.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
By "new trend" I mean in the last 20 years.
This is the latest case:
Lawyer blasts teacher's sentence: 'They are boys and she is a woman' - latimes.com

It seems like only a month or two goes by before yet another story comes out about female teachers caught having sex with high school or even junior high students. The first famous case I remember was teacher Mary Kay Letourneau in 1994 have an affair with a 14 year old boy and having his child.

When I went to school in the 60s and 70s I never heard of this sort of thing happening. Is it a newer trend or has it always been there and just been covered up in previous generations? Some people say there is nothing really new, things just have different versions at different times, so maybe this isn't new, but just the latest version of things covered up in the past.

What do you think?
The media pick up on this stuff more than they used to. But probably in the 50's and earlier there wasn't as much of it. I don't know. I guess it was a more conservative time. The 60's loosened things up to set the stage for women teachers following in the men teachers' footsteps.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Ok, this comment will probably go over like a lead balloon, but here goes. Whenever I hear about one of these female teachers seducing some 16 year old boy and the Parents are saying he will be "scarred for life" I have to laugh. Yes, if a young lady were seduced by a male teacher I could see that, but if a 16 year old boy has sex with an older female do you really think he is damaged in any way ?? Puleeze !!!! I was a young guy once and if that happened to me my buddies and I would all be high fiving each other ! In fact, those of us who were lucky enough to have a Mrs. Robinson in our past are probably very happy about that opportunity.

Maybe it isn't right, but scarred for life is a little dramatic, I think.

Don

Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
I went to my high school 50 year class reunion some years ago. It happened back then. The teacher just went to another school. I know of a teacher who married his student the week after graduation. They had been a couple since she was a sophomore. They were married over 50 years. Both have passed away now.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM

258 posts, read 421,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, this comment will probably go over like a lead balloon, but here goes. Whenever I hear about one of these female teachers seducing some 16 year old boy and the Parents are saying he will be "scarred for life" I have to laugh. Yes, if a young lady were seduced by a male teacher I could see that, but if a 16 year old boy has sex with an older female do you really think he is damaged in any way ?? Puleeze !!!! I was a young guy once and if that happened to me my buddies and I would all be high fiving each other ! In fact, those of us who were lucky enough to have a Mrs. Robinson in our past are probably very happy about that opportunity.

Maybe it isn't right, but scarred for life is a little dramatic, I think.

Don
Totally agree. I don't think it is as damaging as it's made out to be, especially when the student is a boy. Let's be honest, one doesn't "seduce" a hormonal teenage boy.

IDK, having a relationship with a student is definitely sketchy, but if its an actual relationship, not some sort of "if you do X I'll give you a good grade" I can't see it being too much worse than other relationships with age differences where one is a teenager. The only thing that makes it worse is the public shaming if it comes out, but inherently more damaging? I doubt it. Certainly there are exceptions where the relationshp is truly coercive, though, and that is why we need laws in place, cause it's a lot easier to just prove it happened than to prove why.

~Katy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies