Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Think it'll be that way forever? I thought you liberals believed in giving people chances.
Not too many people accuse me of being liberal - lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

Is this charity or is this control?
It isn't a charity because that is what private groups and individuals do. Programs is what government entities do to provide the same function. The government wants the baby, who has no control of the situation whatsoever, to be properly nourished. So yes, this particular program is about control.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Goat’s milk is

not recommended for infants.

Goat’s milk contains inadequate quantities of

iron, folate, vitamins C and D, thiamin, niacin,

vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid to meet an

infant’s nutritional needs. Some brands of goat’s

milk are fortified with vitamin D and folate, but

other brands may not be fortified. This milk also

has a higher renal solute load compared to cow’s

milk and can place stress on an infant’s kidneys.

This milk has been found to cause a dangerous

condition called metabolic acidosis
http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Top...ulaFeeding.pdf

Couple the goats milk with celery juice, which is a diuretic, and you've got trouble.

I was about to post this link. Goats milk is NOT good for newborns. It contains many bacteria that a newborn's stomach cannot fight and enzymes that cannot be processed.

a good substitution is Almond or Soy Milk. Even imitation milk is better than goats milk.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Goat’s milk is
not recommended for infants. Goat’s milk contains inadequate quantities of iron, folate, vitamins C and D, thiamin, niacin,
vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid to meet an infant’s nutritional needs. Some brands of goat’s milk are fortified with vitamin D and folate, but other brands may not be fortified. This milk also has a higher renal solute load compared to cow’s milk and can place stress on an infant’s kidneys. This milk has been found to cause a dangerous condition called metabolic acidosis.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Top...ulaFeeding.pdf
Couple the goats milk with celery juice, which is a diuretic, and you've got trouble.
The article said she is "feeding him fresh goat milk fortified with healthy oils like flax and coconut, and liquid infant multivitamins."
Sounds good to me.

Sorry, the baby formula industry is out to sell very, very expensive formula. WIC clients might get it free, but someone pays for it. Therefore, it is in WIC's best interests to tell mothers they can either breast feed or use the formula that THEY choose.

The article you linked to even mentioned that preemies might need a "special formula". This young mother found that her preemie was not thriving with conventional methods, so she chose an alternate "special formula" for her son that seems to be working.

The article also mentioned how other milk is not good for babies, but formula is. Funny how for eons infants survived on cow, goat, sheep, camel, etc. milk if mom could not breastfeed and no wet nurse was available. Moms did not let their infants go without milk of some sort.

My mom used the mentioned evaporated milk for 7 children - each of us thrived and grew to adulthood with no problems... no allergies, nothing. Ok, so it is a small sample of 7, but moms everywhere used something other than formula when there was no formula to be had and people survived just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They take it from me and give it to her. I want her to properly feed her child and want to ensure her child is healthy, that's what I ask for that raping of my wallet that pays for her.
You have no say in how she feeds her child. You only get that choice with your own child/children.

Who's to say that this mother is not feeding her child properly? WIC? They want to push formula and breastfeeding.
This mom said she tried to breast feed without luck and then she tried various formulas. Why is it so wrong that she feed her child goat's milk, especially if the baby is thriving? It's not Pepsi in a bottle. It's not straight up apple juice. It's milk.

Until I see studies that prove that ALL babies who drink goat's milk get sick, then I will have to side with this mother and every other mother that has goat's milk on baby's menu.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Meh.... it's getting harder and harder to separate the crazies from the sane people. If a person had their kid taken away because that person tried to pray away some easily curable yet life-threatening disease, I would applaud the state. At the same time, the state is influenced by big money, big pharma and often times bases decisions on "studies" and other nonsense that is pure propaganda. I don't know enough about this situation to comment on the specifics, but I do know, for a fact, that many things adjudicated "safe" are far from it. Does that mean a parent has the right to put a child in danger because of extreme beliefs? I don't think so. But what I don't know is whether those beliefs, in every case, are justified. I think it is all very fact-sensitive, and something most people don't want to go through the rigor of analyzing.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Does that mean a parent has the right to put a child in danger because of extreme beliefs? I don't think so.
So then it's okay for the government to do it, right? I mean, the government is big, so it must be right.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I don't know what could be wrong with goat's milk.

One of my brothers was allergic to cow's milk after he was born and had to be fed goat's milk.

OTOH, I have no idea what 'super foods' are...
Super foods = marketing scam

Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
My own mom made 'formula' with kyro syrup, evaporated milk and water... sounds
positively yummy. (NOT!)
So did mine. Unfortunately I was/am allergic to corn and nobody knew that, so I had a hell of a time my whole life.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
So then it's okay for the government to do it, right? I mean, the government is big, so it must be right.
Again, it's fact-sensitive. The government, IMO, has some extreme beliefs and not so extreme beliefs. If a kid is bleeding to death and a transfusion can easily save his or her life but the family doesn't believe in it for "religious" reasons, then transfuse. If, on the other hand, some big phrama company says it's just great and dandy to give boy a vaccine against German Measles that doesn't even harm him then, then no, I would disagree.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:05 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Again, it's fact-sensitive. The government, IMO, has some extreme beliefs and not so extreme beliefs. If a kid is bleeding to death and a transfusion can easily save his or her life but the family doesn't believe in it for "religious" reasons, then transfuse. If, on the other hand, some big phrama company says it's just great and dandy to give boy a vaccine against German Measles that doesn't even harm him then, then no, I would disagree.
So it's all subjective then. Who makes the decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies