U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,984,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
RGGR: It looks like everyother successful response to these sorts of situations...the ones that DON'T make the news. The vast majority of these situations occur without ever making the news, and do not end in someone's death. The police in most cases handle them exceptionally well considering the circumstances of working in this city. This case was one of the exceptions, and should be given the attention necessary to assure that the response was appropriate, and what improvements/adjustments, if any, can be made so that they can better handle this situation in the future.

Nobody is perfect..but we should question, learn, and hold accountable those for their actions, whether they are right or wrong.
I have no problem with questioning and learning etc. I think that should happen whether it was on the news or not. I would not be comfortable with making the news being the filter as to whether or not someone was wrong and needs to be held accountable. I think it's because the kid was not armed that it was on the news. However, they clearly had reason to believe he was, so I don't see the need (based on what I know) to say someone needs to be "held accountable." Also, the number of bullets makes it easy to sensationalize, but as discussed, it is easy to get to that number if you have several people responding instantly which is a necessity in situations like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:07 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,250,056 times
Yes it is making news because it can be sensationalized...not because any newscaster, the station, or anyone related to the making of this segment is interested in doing anything besides getting more people to watch their "news" show.

Being held accountable is not negative....it is providing the information and justification for their actions, whether it is right or wrong. I am acountable for whatever work I produce at my job....when it is good and bad. The Police should not get a free ticket just because of their line of work....or because they have such a tough job so we can let them slide...they should be held accountable also. When people die...there are 15 bullets flying around...and a lack of coordination....it is important, for the sake of the police and the public, to be sure that the right thing was done....and if not...why not? And how can we make things better in the future? That is the expectation...at least as far as I am concerned.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
PPG

508 posts, read 1,317,180 times
Cops are not smart enough to make good decisions. It's a low paying job, it should be expected.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:29 PM

937 posts, read 2,577,847 times
Quote:
Yes it is making news because it can be sensationalized...not because any newscaster, the station, or anyone related to the making of this segment is interested in doing anything besides getting more people to watch their "news" show.

Being held accountable is not negative....it is providing the information and justification for their actions, whether it is right or wrong. I am acountable for whatever work I produce at my job....when it is good and bad. The Police should not get a free ticket just because of their line of work....or because they have such a tough job so we can let them slide...they should be held accountable also. When people die...there are 15 bullets flying around...and a lack of coordination....it is important, for the sake of the police and the public, to be sure that the right thing was done....and if not...why not? And how can we make things better in the future? That is the expectation...at least as far as I am concerned.
But the thing is, you aren't the person to judge them. You can't say that anything lacked coordination, discipline, or anything else.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:30 PM

937 posts, read 2,577,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Cops are not smart enough to make good decisions. It's a low paying job, it should be expected.
Well we can already see what type of person you are!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:39 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,250,056 times
I am a resident of NYC, so they are in fact held accountable to the public..just as much as any other public servant. That being said..it will go through the proper channels..and whatever decision will be made. The will be held accountable, whether you like it or agree, whenever their guns are drawn...and especially when 15 bullets are fired and somebody is dead. It may be justifed...may not be...only time will tell.

But as it stands now...the right thing to do is to figure out who/what/where/why/how of what happened and see what went wrong, if anything did. 15 shots fired....you got alot of splainin to do Lucy!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:02 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,984,983 times
Quote:

I agree with you and apparently the police do too because they are held accountable in the ways you mention. They don't get to just shoot and go home with no questions asked. They fill out reports and have to explain their actions in all cases like this. The idea that they just shoot with impunity is not accurate.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,287,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown206 View Post
"Police told The New York Times they believed the teen, Khiel Coppin, had a gun, but after five officers fired 20 shots they realized he was holding only a hairbrush."

Police shoot, kill man holding hairbrush, witnesses say - CNN.com
This kid was an idiot. I'm an 19 yr old AA. All respect to the family but frankly, I cant make an excuse for this kid. Coppin should have known better with all the NYPD shootings of black males not to be foolin around and screaming "i got a gun".

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,945,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Well we can already see what type of person you are!

Don't give him a hard time. Afterall, he just got out of jail.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 AM

51,648 posts, read 41,606,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
This kid was an idiot. I'm an 19 yr old AA. All respect to the family but frankly, I cant make an excuse for this kid. Coppin should have known better with all the NYPD shootings of black males not to be foolin around and screaming "i got a gun".
How many white guys do you know that would do the same exact thing and feel like they wouldn't get shot? I think this was suicide by cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies