Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times

Advertisements

Movie to Movement

The real story is far more interesting and healing. A wonderful butler serves several presidents, decides to retire and is honored by being invited by President Reagan and his wife to a state dinner that he would normally serve at. He remarks to his wife that he got to enjoy the champagne he normally served to others. To take that story and inject it with racial animus by creating a fictitious backstory in which the butler quits because of Reagan's policies and is offended by being invited to the state dinner is shameful. Box office could have been doubled if the truthful version had been put on the big screen with a great story that could have united, not divided the races.
-Mark Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 03:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I have been there. His district was Hyde Park/Kenwood. Hyde Park has a large percentage of Whites. Is there any evidence that Obama only challenged voters of a particular race?

It doesn't matter that the other school in the area has only 200 voters. Sometime in the last 5 years they could have easily used the same procedure they used for Elizabeth City State, which was to request a list from the school of names and addresses for resident students. If their real concern is students fraudulently voting then Mid-Atlantic Christian has 200 potential fraudulent voters.
Obama's district was the 13th legislative district, which was at the time overwhelmingly black. Hyde Park was only a small section of the district (there has been redistricting since then). The evidence that Obama challenged voters of a particular race is the same as the evidence that Gilbert did.

MACC would have 200 (actually 178) fraudulent voters only if they had a 100% local reg. rate, which is highly unlikely. If 75% were registered, and of those half were registered locally, that's 67 voters. If one in 10 has a flawed registration (say non-citizen, or has moved out of the district), that's 6 voters.

But you obviously want to believe that this is a case of racism, much like many people believed w/ regard to George Zimmerman. Adam Smith said something along the lines of--(paraphrase) 'never try to persuade on the basis of reason, against beliefs that have been installed on the basis of emotion.'

Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Barack Hussein Obama - Discover the Networks

I ran across this long bio of Obama. Interestingly he once was involved in litigation that had to do with the racial makeup of districts. In the case he comes close to meeting your criterion of targeting "voters of a particular race"

Quote:
Originally Posted by discover the networks
In 1994 Obama worked for Davis Miner on a case titled Barnett v. Daley, where he was part of a legal team that challenged the racial makeup of Chicago’s voting districts. The Obama team sought to raise the number of black super-majority districts from 19 to 24. According to the judge in the case, Richard Posner, Obama and his fellow litigators held that “no black aldermanic candidate in Chicago has ever beaten a white in a ward that had a black majority of less than 62.6 percent, and it is emphatic that the ward in which the population is 55 percent black is not a black ward -- is indeed a white ward, even though only 42 percent of its population is white.”
But I don't suppose you regard that as racism...am I right?

Last edited by wutitiz; 08-20-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM

Getting back to the movie, why did Hollywood need to fabricate the story? I think we all know the answer.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obama's district was the 13th legislative district, which was at the time overwhelmingly black. Hyde Park was only a small section of the district (there has been redistricting since then). The evidence that Obama challenged voters of a particular race is the same as the evidence that Gilbert did.

MACC would have 200 (actually 178) fraudulent voters only if they had a 100% local reg. rate, which is highly unlikely. If 75% were registered, and of those half were registered locally, that's 67 voters. If one in 10 has a flawed registration (say non-citizen, or has moved out of the district), that's 6 voters.

But you obviously want to believe that this is a case of racism, much like many people believed w/ regard to George Zimmerman. Adam Smith said something along the lines of--(paraphrase) 'never try to persuade on the basis of reason, against beliefs that have been installed on the basis of emotion.'
I don't believe that I ever mentioned racism in regards to this issue. You have now mentioned it several times and placed that accusation in my mouth. I just went back and checked. I wrote, "Tell me more about how it is really the Republicans who are the great protectors of African-American civil rights and voting rights."

If the validity of the action is based on the results, then I don't think they should be going after ESCU either. First off the number challenged are a small percentage of registered voters. No where have I read where they were spurred by voter fraud (ie people voting who shouldn't have). Their sweep also picked up and challenged valid registrations, such as non-students who lived on campus, but were not students and therefore didn't show up on the College enrollment lists as students. Bottom line, a lot of headache and effort for valid voters to protect their registrations for very little improvement in the voting rolls. But then that is what they want. I hope it backfires on them big time. Only about half the school was registering. Hopefully, they can make that near 100% by the time 2014 rolls around.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I don't believe that I ever mentioned racism in regards to this issue. You have now mentioned it several times and placed that accusation in my mouth. I just went back and checked. I wrote, "Tell me more about how it is really the Republicans who are the great protectors of African-American civil rights and voting rights."

If the validity of the action is based on the results, then I don't think they should be going after ESCU either. First off the number challenged are a small percentage of registered voters. No where have I read where they were spurred by voter fraud (ie people voting who shouldn't have). Their sweep also picked up and challenged valid registrations, such as non-students who lived on campus, but were not students and therefore didn't show up on the College enrollment lists as students. Bottom line, a lot of headache and effort for valid voters to protect their registrations for very little improvement in the voting rolls. But then that is what they want. I hope it backfires on them big time. Only about half the school was registering. Hopefully, they can make that near 100% by the time 2014 rolls around.
The link you posted clearly implied that this was a case of racism, of a GOP county chair targeting black voters. Now you say you aren't alleging racism? Okaaayyy. Whatever.

There's still no evidence that he went after them on the basis of race. You say he should have gone after the other college too, but one more time, there could have been other reasons why he did not. Just look at the numbers: ESCU=2500 students. MACC=178 students. According to your link about 60 ESCU registrations were challenged or 4 percent. 4 percent of 178 is 7. Not worth the paperwork.

Interesting that of the 60 voters, only 3 showed up to challenge the challenge, and of those 3, 1 voluntarily un-registered herself, suggesting that there was a problem w/ her registration. I can guarantee that if my registration were challenged, I would do whatever necessary to keep it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Barack Hussein Obama - Discover the Networks

I ran across this long bio of Obama. Interestingly he once was involved in litigation that had to do with the racial makeup of districts. In the case he comes close to meeting your criterion of targeting "voters of a particular race"

But I don't suppose you regard that as racism...am I right?
So you are fishing now aren't you. Couldn't answer the original question so you shifted to a different question. I love how Discover the Networks ends up labeling the team that Obama played a minor role on as the Obama team.

I believe it is wrong for those in power to attempt to divide districts in a way that keeps their associates in power especially when it disadvantages a particular group. Chicago has a long history of ethnic and racial politics with the African-American community usually receiving the short stick. To the extent that the accusations in the complaint were true, I have no problem with legal challenges that attempt to rectify the situation.

Just as a have no problems with invalid voter registrations being scrubbed from the rolls. I do have a problem when the scrubbers only target a particular group that they believe would oppose them politically.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
The link you posted clearly implied that this was a case of racism, of a GOP county chair targeting black voters. Now you say you aren't alleging racism? Okaaayyy. Whatever.

There's still no evidence that he went after them on the basis of race. You say he should have gone after the other college too, but one more time, there could have been other reasons why he did not. Just look at the numbers: ESCU=2500 students. MACC=178 students. According to your link about 60 ESCU registrations were challenged or 4 percent. 4 percent of 178 is 7. Not worth the paperwork.

Interesting that of the 60 voters, only 3 showed up to challenge the challenge, and of those 3, 1 voluntarily un-registered herself, suggesting that there was a problem w/ her registration. I can guarantee that if my registration were challenged, I would do whatever necessary to keep it.
I am asserting that some in the Republican Party in NC appear to be specifically targeting Black students because they believe that those particular students would not support them politically. I'm not sure that meets the classical definition of racism, therefore I haven't used the term. It certainly won't help the Republican Parties latest outreach efforts to minority groups.

How many of those taken off the roles even know that they have been taken off the roles? Some will probably not even realize until they show up to vote. If I understand the current NC rules they will be denied the ability to vote because they would no longer be registered and they can't re-register on the day of the vote.

The Republican Chair is now saying that he is going to challenge more students at other schools around the state. It will be interesting to see which schools he targets.

What I hope is that these latest Republican efforts at voter disenfranchisement results in a movement that responds by getting more students then ever to register and that they turn out the polls.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You do realize that most movies are make believe, even ones based on historical events.

The "300" Spartans never fought against a 8 foot drag queen and masked ninjas who threw molotov cocktails.
Wait! What?!!!

Say it ain't so! Say it ain't so!!!

Next you're gonna tell me there is no galaxy far,far away....

Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM

Michael Reagan: 'The Butler' Disparages Memory of Ronald Reagan

Michael Reagan: 'The Butler' Disparages Memory of Ronald Reagan

You could've done a movie just about Eugene Allen and it would've been a great movie about somebody working at the White House. But, instead, Hollywood decided that they want to make this about Ronald Reagan and disparage Ronald Reagan and others and did the same thing to Eugene Allen's wife. To sit there and take his wife, make her an alcoholic, as Oprah Winfrey did, and have her have an affair with the neighbor is outrageous."

I wonder what the family of Eugene Allen thinks of making the mother an alcoholic and having an affair. They could sue the makers of the film. Politicians can't sue but private citizens could.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies