Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 06:21 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
True, but Texans loved him and reelected him over and over. He always brought home the bacon. His legacy in and for Texas, far outstrips his championship of the great society, which so many conservatives and libertarians hate.
Not all Texans loved LBJ. He did the typical Democrat Dead man voting and won / stole many of his early elections.

It's like saying all Illinoians love Obama... No just the big city dishonest money people.

I see Harry Reid as the same out of Nevada. I'd guess the pork and the Union keeps Harry in charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Thanks for the thread.

I wasn't going to see this movie, but now I wanna see it and make up my own mind!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Umm, its not supposed to be a documentary.
No, but it's not supposed to be a propaganda piece. I guess it's to be expected from Hollywood these days.

And they wonder why folks aren't going to the movies as much these days.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How is that an inaccuracy? Is the film "The Butler" or not? Lots of films change their names by the time of final release. Doesn't make them inaccurate.
Holy cow!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
ummm....cite please?
I guess you slept through the Reagan administration?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, but it's not supposed to be a propaganda piece. I guess it's to be expected from Hollywood these days.

And they wonder why folks aren't going to the movies as much these days.
1. Why can't a movie be a propaganda piece? The concept of "freedom of speech" doesn't apply to movies? What about that movie last year "2016: Obama's America"?

2. People aren't going to the movies much these days? You mean the film industry isn't grossing billions of dollars? Didn't Forbes Magazine just report that 2013 film industry profits have already exceeded 2012. How many hundreds of millions of dollars did Despicable Me 2 earn so far?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Umm, its not supposed to be a documentary.
"Lee Daniels' The Butler is a 2013 American historical drama film directed by Lee Daniels, written by Danny Strong, and featuring an ensemble cast.[2] Based on the real-life account of Eugene Allen, the film stars Forest Whitaker as Cecil Gaines, an African-American who eyewitnesses notable events of the 20th century during his 34-year tenure serving as a White House butler.[3][4] It was the last film produced by Laura Ziskin,[5][6] who died in 2011."

A movie based on "the real life account" of someones life should not be altered to fit one's agenda.

Many low information people thing that what they see in a movie are actual historical facts.

You know that.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The lies lie with you. Reagan was never a racist. This is a guy who, as a college football player, refused to go into restaurants where his black teammates were prohibited from accompanying him. And that would have been in the 1930's, long before standing up to discrimination was cool. Also total BS regarding the speech in MS. The below article eviscerates your lies.

Reagan, No Racist | National Review Online
You must be aware of the concept of a non-denial denial. That's what msot of the NRO whitewash is. For instance, the fact that he signed the Voting Rights extension and the MLK holiday bill tells us nothing about the fact that he tried to weaken the Voting Rights Act and opposed the MLK holiday.

They also conspicuously ignore his support for the apartheid regime in South Africa and for the racist policies of Bob Jones "University".

I found it particularly amusing that they mention his appointment of Samuel Pierce to be HUD Secretary. You may also have slept through the Reagan administration, so maybe you don't remember when Reagan was at a gathering of black mayors in Washington and called Pierce "Mr. Mayor". Does that tell you anything about how important Pierce was in Reagan's thinking?

Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 AM

9 posts, read 11,738 times
never could get to grips with those things.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thanks for the thread.

I wasn't going to see this movie, but now I wanna see it and make up my own mind!
You won't be sorry. I saw it with my movie and lunch club and we all loved it. It dominated the conversation at lunch and most movies don't do that with our group.

Lee Daniels' The Butler - Official Trailer - The Weinstein Company - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies