Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There's nothing wrong with saying that the majority of state legislators in Utah are devout Mormons that govern based on their values.
That is not what Mach50 said - that poster claimed that the state of Utah is run by a church.

It is not - as a perusal of the Utah state constitution will show.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Another ad hominem attack. Nice job
It's latin and you have not the faintest idea what it means apparently. Look it up.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
It's latin and you have not the faintest idea what it means apparently. Look it up.
I know exactly what it means:

"An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument."

You do realize that you look like a fool, right? And this statement would not be an ad hominem. Perhaps some remedial logic courses are in order for you.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
By your own biased and uninformed statement, if there are only "5" residents, what portion do you ascribe the title "liberal" to?

BTW, for all those that think Utah is only for Mormons, check out the actual percentage (which is increasing every year) of non-Mormons living in the state. Just might surprise your misconceptions.
To the 1 and a half people there.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,957 times
The Church of LDS has a lot to do with it. They also weren't hit very hard by American industry leaving.

Utah's success does not make conservatism more legitimate than liberalism any more than Minnesota's success makes liberalism more legitimate than conservatism.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Ivoc, sometimes the best strategy is just to quietly slip out and leave the talking to people who can actually add something of value to the discussion. If you were to do that now, most of us would probably forget everything you've said and you could move on to another thread and still manage to more or less save face.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Ivoc, sometimes the best strategy is just to quietly slip out and leave the talking to people who can actually add something of value to the discussion. If you were to do that now, most of us would probably forget everything you've said and you could move on to another thread and still manage to more or less save face.
I am sure you believe that. It is common on the right. A form of mental illness I suspect.

Luckily though those who read these threads lack your problem and will learn from my messages.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So population density is now a measurment of success. Good grief.
Yes...one of them. Vast open states with low populations are generally considered less desirable than the more densely populated ones. See housing values as an instance.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what it means:

"An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument."

You do realize that you look like a fool, right? And this statement would not be an ad hominem. Perhaps some remedial logic courses are in order for you.
Glad to see you can do a lookup...now all you have to do is figure out what it means.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 AM

just for the Readers who seek information the sequence...

Quote:
Indeed. Very self sufficient. Liberals hate that too.
Quote:
And trailing their nearby neighbors on major economic parameters.
Quote:
Then don't live there. Liberal ilk don't fit in there anyways.
Quote:
Had no intention. Why move to an inferior place.
Quote:
Having done a lot of business in Utah, I'm confident the good people of Utah feel likewise about Liberal ilk.
Quote:
Mormons take money from anyone. That is all it takes to be well received. Their Society however does not use it as well as they should because of the draw of the church.
Quote:
@Katz... The statement made was clearly made by one who has never spent a minute in SLC. And if they have, then they are a liar. Either way, their opinion is irrelevant. My guess is the individual dislikes Mormons because of their religiosity; Typical garden variety left-winger who espouses "diversity" and "tolerance" yet is the first to criticize others who are unlike them.
Quote:
And you appear to be the sort that spouts without thinking. I am well skilled in Mormons and their behavior. They are among my clients, my friends, and my neighbors.

You obviously have never dealt with them seriously. The view of the standard right wing lunk head loves them...but it is much more complicated than you understand.

Tithing appears to be a wonderful thing. But note it puts the standard middle class Mormon in a tax bracket exceeding 50%. Up there higher than NY or NJ. And it likely seriously impacts the economic performance of the mother ship in Utah.
Quote:
Indeed I am. The hypocrisy from the Left is deafening.
Quote:
Those defeated often resort to the juvenile. All they have left.
Quote:
Those who resort to ad hominems have already lost.
You decide who attempts to use irrelevant attacks to avoid the point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies