Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The government likes to regulate its regulations on previous regulations that they've already regulated.

Makes sense, no?

Absolutely! And if you google "Department of Redundancy Department" you will find a list of all those regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 01:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Did YOU pay the full price for the construction and maintenance of the roads etc in YOUR area - or did your neighborhood/town get Federal or State funds for that?
If not - then by your definition YOU are a leech.
How about the internet you are currently using - did YOU pay the full cost of it's development?
If not - then by your definition YOU are a leech.

EVERYONE uses government subsidized services to some degree or another - even YOU.

Ken
Water and sewer are huge public services. Water and sewer bills, as high as they are in many areas, represents a fraction of the cost to produce, repair and when necessary replace systems for clean and dirty water. Most states rely on the federal government for handouts instead of taxing their occupants the true cost. And in some cases those states who consistently receive more than they contribute to federal government, tend to elect reps who whine the most about budget deficits and debt.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Urinalysis is stupidto stop drug use. Marijuana is the only drug that stays I yiur system for more then three days with urine. Meth, cocaine, heroine, crack, mushrooms, every ither drug is out if yiur system in three days. THC is fat soluble. It takes 30 to 45 days for your body to process fat. And thats one joint. Now if you smoked two a month, now you're really screwed.

Urine drug testing is pointless
Absolutely. It's also easy to game.

Hair follicle testing has a three month look back for most substances. It also costs multiples of a pee test.
The pee test thingy is a relatively cheap way for states to create the perception they are doing something.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Huh? Fascism dates back to the 19th century, long before there were any Nazis.
Anyway, such a step targeting a specific group is indeed reminiscent for instance of Jews that had to wear a badge.
Like many of my relatives had to which might be why I find the cavalier, indiscriminant and inappropriate use of the term offensive.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

My township is responsible for its own secondary roads.

The system was never set up for my tax dollars to pay for street repairs in any other township.

Federal highways and bridges are different. It's part of infrastructure and one of the responsibilities of the federal government. I pay a road tax with every fill up and every toll. So no, I'm not a leech.
This is true of most secondary roads ( side streets). Townships receive state and federal grants and stimulus funding all the time. Then there are county and state roads.

The taxes we pay on gas are a fraction of the cost to maintain, repair and replace roads, no different than the tolls paid, where applicable. Several states have sold lease rights to their toll roads , bridges and tunnels to foreign investors to raise money to balance their budgets. Fees have one through the roof because that's what it takes to maintain, repair and replace these infrastructures and create an adequate profit to interest investors.

Back in 2005-6ish , the Bush Admin planned to permit outsourcing management of 22 key U.S. ports to a holding company owned by the UAE. The strangest partisan bedfellow on both sides of the issue formed. Eventually, it did not go over well with Congress. The UAE eventually sold their interests to a subsidiary of AIG ( yes, that AIG) the money fronted by global investors. I digress and this is way OT.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
All valid points. I however disagree with you when it comes to the major parties. The Party selects who will be made available for the voter to vote for. If the party doesn't want you to win they make sure that you know your place. I find it amusing that anyone thinks that there is any difference other than rhetoric between the 2 major parties.
Taxes. At some point in our history pork became acceptable. That was the beginning of the end of responsible Gov spending.
The party picks the person most likely to raise the most funding for himself and the party. The pacs and super pacs select the candidate of their choice.

I agree about the pork which is as old as the U.S.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Like many of my relatives had to which might be why I find the cavalier, indiscriminant and inappropriate use of the term offensive.
That's the point, wehret den Anfängen, as they say in German (something like watch out for the beginnings). Jews did not expect they would be killed just because they had to wear a badge initially.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The party picks the person most likely to raise the most funding for himself and the party.

I agree about the pork which is as old as the U.S.
Pork is a very necessary process in the American political process. The legislature on both sides are discussing easing up on the restrictions currently in place for earmarks. A politician's constituents expect them to "bring home the bacon" to their districts no matter how much they carry banners and chant slogans about overspending and deficit reduction. To the average citizen, a good politician cuts expenses in someone else's district, never their own.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I think this is mostly true in NYC, excluding seniors.

This was not the case in all public housing projects in all cities.
Agreed.
NYC is very special case because the population density is so great and thus the demand for space enormous and thus prices are sky-high. In NYC there are lots and lots of middle-class folks in public-subsidized housing.

Ken

Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Pork is a very necessary process in the American political process. The legislature on both sides are discussing easing up on the restrictions currently in place for earmarks. A politician's constituents expect them to "bring home the bacon" to their districts no matter how much they carry banners and chant slogans about overspending and deficit reduction. To the average citizen, a good politician cuts expenses in someone else's district, never their own.

Yes sir. We are in agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies