Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Compressed Natural Gas = A Bomb Waiting to Happen.

Anyone who is opposed to consuming oil for fuel, should be even more concerned with consuming natural gas for fuel. Using natural gas as a combustible would release large amounts of methane into the atmosphere, which is 25 times worse than CO2 as a "greenhouse gas."
WHAT???
Natural gas, when burned (oxidized) becomes METHANE??
Please give a reference for that astonishing statement.
Actually, if I had a gas line to my house, so that I could install a CNG pumping station to refuel vehicles, I would really like to convert them to run on CNG.
Actually, I would like them to be dual fuel, to run on CNG or gasoline. The gasoline is more practical for long trips.

When they build an electric vehicle that will travel 200 miles without recharging, even when it is 20 below zero and the heater/defroster is required, AND it will recharge overnight from any 20 amp 110VAC outlet, AND it will travel 200 miles in 100 degree heat, with the AC going, THEN I will be interested.
For "town use", a 50 mile range under the listed conditions would be adequate, IF the initial cost was reasonable (as in less than $20K).
It will never happen at the present level of technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
what conservatives have problem with hybrids and electric cars?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No pollution... ZERO.
The by product of burnt NG, is H2O
Not true.

Burning hydrogen produces H2O as a waste product. Burning natural gas produces 30% less CO2 than burning gasoline, but it still produces CO2. Furthermore, increasing production of natural gas will release significantly more methane into the atmosphere, which is far worse than CO2.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Oil still holds a near monopoly on the transportation fuel market, but as soon as electric vehicles started coming out, there was a lot of complaint from the right. But there is a new threat to the oil monopoly, Natural Gas. Natural gas vehicle sales tiny, but picking up they may become a bigger force than electric. Will oil-loving right wingers start attacking NG cars?
I don't see why a conservative would have a problem with it, but many republicans sure do. They have been told to support oil, and ignore the problems arising from being dependent on foreign oil.

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Oil still holds a near monopoly on the transportation fuel market, but as soon as electric vehicles started coming out, there was a lot of complaint from the right. But there is a new threat to the oil monopoly, Natural Gas. Natural gas vehicle sales tiny, but picking up they may become a bigger force than electric. Will oil-loving right wingers start attacking NG cars?
That is because electrical power isn't any cleaner for cars. The power plants are as dirty and the battery's are even worse. Looks all clean from a non - tech point of view but it isn't.

Human fat turned into diesel has a promising look. We can have Fat Farms! serious

There will always be a need for oil for lubrication. No lube and nothing moves. We can get that from Fat farms too.

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I can't recall exactly who, but many have called the Volt a "failed" car, another asked whether you would stop and help a motorist in a stalled EV.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
I do, for one. The electricity required to power hybrid and electric vehicles produces more CO2 in its generation than burning gasoline. Particularly if that electricity is coming from coal power plants.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,750,974 times
Quote:
I can't recall exactly who, but many have called the Volt a "failed" car, another asked whether you would stop and help a motorist in a stalled EV.
most people wouldn't stop a motorist stalled in any car. what are you going to do? stare at the engine together and not know what to do? the volt has been a failure for the most part when you look at the expectations. I don't think it's a bad car. I am considering buying a prius, as long as the noise level inside the car isn't too loud. that tends to get on my nerves, but I like the idea of getting 50mpg. conserving gas=conservative philosophy.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Oil tycoons and the government that taxes fuels to maintain roads, maybe, but not Conservatives. Look at the progressive mileage tax they want to put on these vehicles.

This conservative thinks they are over priced and the main part is, they are subsidized with my tax dollars.
That is my problem with them.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
You are hoping and guessing and looking for trouble,natural gas cars have been around for a long time way before electric wich plug into coal fired powerplants or nuclear plants. So forget your oil loving right winger BS and buy a natural gas car and help create the demand.I drove a 75 f150 outfitted with NG 20 years ago.what in heck have you done except whine and acuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies