U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 03:30 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,152,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post

I think it's stupid that you think it's stupid. Guess we'll both have to let it stop at "stupid"...
I don't care what you think.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:35 PM

11,981 posts, read 16,706,768 times
So just because a country has the fallacy of making one religious celebration an official holiday while excluding others, we should ignore others? Geeze, I'm glad my religion isn't that intolerant!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,058,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Are we gonna change all the songs too? Imagine the time and all the re-rhyming that has to be done. Throw out your old LP's and 8 tracks!!

Blue Christmas – Blue Holiday?

White Christmas – White Holiday?

Rockin’ Around the Holiday Tree?

I’ll be home for Holiday?

Have yourself a Merry Little Holiday?

Holly Jolly Holiday?

The 12 Days of Holiday?

It’s beginning to look a lot like Holiday?

Even Wham’s song Last Christmas ~ ruh roh shaggy!! - Last Holiday?

I saw mommy kissing the man in the red suit?

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
the man (or woman) in the red suit is coming to town
This is funny...but what does a fat guy in a red suit bringing presents with flying reindeer from the North Pole have a thing to do with the birth of Jesus Christ, anyway?

Never got that one.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:39 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,990,928 times
Why should we have to give up our beliefs!!!!!!!! At what point do Americans get to keep things they have had all their lives?!?! Now this Ho Ho Ho nonsense! it never even occured to me it would offend a woman (which I am) this PC crap is getting out of hand. I would never take away anothers persons belief or joyin their holiday and what goes with it. I am not offened by other Holidays I dont celebrate!! Why should I be? Good grief!!!!. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Old 11-18-2007, 03:39 PM

19,498 posts, read 20,844,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So just because a country has the fallacy of making one religious celebration an official holiday while excluding others, we should ignore others? Geeze, I'm glad my religion isn't that intolerant!
Quite. But put some teeth into it. Everyone who thinks Christmas is just the fruit of religious intolerance ought to forego the holiday and show up at work anyway.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Quite. But put some teeth into it. Everyone who thinks Christmas is just the fruit of religious intolerance ought to forego the holiday and show up at work anyway.
I get Hannukah break off. Ditto for Passover.

And I don't go to work or school on my religion's holy days and have suffered repercussions for it. Just because we all don't get the holiday off nationally doesn't mean the holiday has no meaning.

Like I said before, I have no problem with people saying Merry Christmas. But having had some complete whackjobs reprimand me for saying Happy Holidays or Happy Hanukkah, I now have a very real problem saying it myself.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,765,932 times
but anyone who says I can't say the word Christmas b/c it has Christ in it, well, there is something wrong.

Once again, you're missing the point. There are other holidays at the same time of the year. I understand that a growing number of christians want to exclude others from the holiday, but they can't. There are other religions or non-religions in the world who have holidays at the same time of the year. Happy Holidays is simply a means to be more inclusive for all people.

Why would your christ even care about this?

If we continue to allow people to slowly chip away at things such as this, before long, it will be something else, and/or another book, or poem, or children's story, b/c it offends someone.

It's the christians who are censoring books, like Harry Potter and others because they don't like the message.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:47 PM

19,498 posts, read 20,844,629 times
Quote:

And I don't go to work or school on my religion's holy days and have suffered repercussions for it. Just because we all don't get the holiday off nationally doesn't mean the holiday has no meaning.

Like I said before, I have no problem with people saying Merry Christmas. But having had some complete whackjobs reprimand me for saying Happy Holidays or Happy Hanukkah, I now have a very real problem saying it myself.
Perhaps you should relax and consider the possibility that Christmas is a secular, rather than a religious, hoilday. If you still have a problem with it, do as I suggested and eschew it.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Perhaps you should relax and consider the possibility that Christmas is a secular, rather than a religious, hoilday.
Then why make a fuss about the use of the word? It is not my secular holiday, I do not celebrate it. If it's secular, then why do people have such a problem wishing Happy Holidays? This is truly what I don't get.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:50 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,990,928 times
Quote:

I have had people say Happy Hanukkah to me, I dont celebrate it but I appreciate it. I will say it back or Merry Christmas. Now I am not religious, I dont do church, Christmas has a different meaning to me and I dont appreciate people making light of it or saying it is rude to say Merry Christmas just as I would never downplay another holiday. People should be thankful other people are wishing them happiness rather than concentrating on if we mentioned the right holiday. I tell ya we will have to start wearing badges declaring what holiday we celebrate if the PC crowd has a say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies