U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM

11,943 posts, read 17,443,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I just find "Happy Holidays" to be rather tacky. For me, it is "Merry Christmas". Merry Christmas is more personable. Why say Happy Halloween but then not say Merry Christmas?
When I lived in New York City, my company had a good number of Jewish folks. I said Happy Holidays as it was easier to just say that rather than have to think about it each and every time I passed someone in the hallway. Maybe I was being silly, but it seemed the prudent thing to do, although I doubt anyone would have turned into a frog.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,581,115 times
Default I don't see a war.

I have never ran into someone who was offended by me saying "Merry Christmas". I really hate the Christmas season, so I personally do not care what greeting I get. People who use either greeting obviously meant no ill will towards me. I'm sure it's the same with others.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
It seems inevitable that the word "Christmas" will be a hot topic yet again this year as companies try to decide what their policy is, and people who aren't Christians attack the word Christmas, and people who are Christians think everyone should have to say it, even the Hindu guy from India at the gas station. It is the Politically Correct/Incorrect argument of choice in November and December it seems when I turn on the TV or look at news online.

With all of this nonsense going on, my question to Christians who are upset about Christmas being removed from greetings is this. Why is the word Christmas so important to defend? I'm personally much more offended by the massive marketing campaigns, the obligatory gift buying marketing that pounds you from all radios and every store sign, and the excessive food that starts on Thanksgiving and many people choose to pig out all the way through New Year's, especially leading up to Christmas with all the "Christmas treats".

During the time all this happens, a lot of people rack up debt they can barely afford to pay, and add pounds from overeating, all in the name of Christmas. Shouldn't this be more of a concern for Christians to tackle? I would think poor stewardship of money and junking up the body is a much bigger problem for Christians than whether or not the person selling them the excess gifts and food finishes the transaction with a Merry Christmas.

Maybe I'm missing something...
Christians ALLOW the left, the ACLU, and the atheists to run the show. We need an anti-defamation league for Christians in the USA.

One example is that lunatic editor from the Seattle Post "Intelligencer" (that is in quotes because that paper is anything BUT intelligent) who said she understands how the gay militant in San Francisco who tried to blow up a church because "churches are oppressors". This an exmaple of the culture war in the USA (this goes along with the war on Christmas).

The ACLU and the PC Police (a/k/a the Political Correctness Gestappo) has been attacking the word Christmas everywhere it can and it has been suing everyone thay can to remove Christmas decorations and etc.

Insanity has taken a hold of the USA. Now it is time we un-do the damages and try to fix things back up. People need to unite and FIGHT the SPs and the ACLU and preserve American culture.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,057,880 times
It seems inevitable that the word "Christmas" will be a hot topic yet again this year as companies try to decide what their policy is, and people who aren't Christians attack the word Christmas, and people who are Christians think everyone should have to say it, even the Hindu guy from India at the gas station. It is the Politically Correct/Incorrect argument of choice in November and December it seems when I turn on the TV or look at news online.

Can I ask who is attacking the word Christmas? Honestly. I have never read this or come across it, yet I always seem to read about it second hand. I understand businesses prohibit employees saying it, but that is a different issue.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM

223 posts, read 546,266 times
Say merry christmas if you want...if not then don't.

It really should be a non-issue, but the idiot Fox talking heads keep bringing it up so they can get the pea brains that watch their stupid shows riled up about something...O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity, all the resident right wing whores.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas and it is quite biased toward non-Chrisitans, so it really shouldn't be a national holiday...maybe they should call it like National Winter Day Off or something, but no one is telling Christians that they can't have their holiday or say merry christmas...its absurd to think otherwise.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:09 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,409,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Can I ask who is attacking the word Christmas? Honestly. I have never read this or come across it, yet I always seem to read about it second hand. I understand businesses prohibit employees saying it, but that is a different issue.
I think thats where the biggest problem comes from. People are arguing over whether or not businesses should tell there employees to say merry Christmas or not. Especially retail stores. I don't know how much actual argument is going on inside the businesses, but it has been a big topic the last 2 or 3 Christmas's in a row.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,057,880 times
Quote:
I think thats where the biggest problem comes from. People are arguing over whether or not businesses should tell there employees to say merry Christmas or not. Especially retail stores. I don't know how much actual argument is going on inside the businesses, but it has been a big topic the last 2 or 3 Christmas's in a row.
I get that...but that is separate from "People who aren't Christians attacking the word Christmas". It is not a discussion based on religious grounds...the business guys are the ones worried about offending their customers. I'll bet a lot of those guys are Christian, but making their Holiday benchmarks to get their annual bonus comes first. I have never read of Jews or Muslims or whoever demonstrating against the phrase "Merry Christmas."

Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM

5,138 posts, read 7,205,190 times
As far as I'm concerned this is another wedge issue probably orchestrated by Karl Rove and fed to Bill O'Reilly to divert attention from the major problems we have in this country like the Iraq War. O'Reilly's own website featured "Happy Holiday" items. Makes no difference to me as a secular person which greeting is used. Holidays are all about days off from work.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,409,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I get that...but that is separate from "People who aren't Christians attacking the word Christmas". It is not a discussion based on religious grounds...the business guys are the ones worried about offending their customers. I'll bet a lot of those guys are Christian, but making their Holiday benchmarks to get their annual bonus comes first. I have never read of Jews or Muslims or whoever demonstrating against the phrase "Merry Christmas."
Wasn't really trying to be exact on statements, since I don't really believe that non Christians in general are attacking the word Christmas, like I don't believe that all Christians in general really expect a Hindu cashier at a gas station to greet them with Merry Christmas. Sure there will be some exceptions, but the bigger point was that it has been a hot topic for 2-3 years now with typically the people on the farther ends of the spectrum getting the most attention on the topics, while those in the middle of the spectrum are heard a lot less often.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM

19,495 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
typically the people on the farther ends of the spectrum getting the most attention on the topics, while those in the middle of the spectrum are heard a lot less often.
Except at election time.

We hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies