U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:54 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You ought to be able to say "Merry Christmas" without feeling guilty.
You can certainly say it. Whether you feel guilty about it is up to you. But the gobbledygook War on Christmas isn't about the right to say Merry Christmas at all. It's about denial of the right to say anything else.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 AM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You can certainly say it. Whether you feel guilty about it is up to you. But the gobbledygook War on Christmas isn't about the right to say Merry Christmas at all. It's about denial of the right to say anything else.
Whaaaa? When did I, or anyone else, say that?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,313,751 times
Listen to Bill O'Reilly. Well, no, that's a little harsh. Read his transcripts. NOT saying Merry Christmas is the problem here, and if you engage in such a practice, or even believe that collectively we might want to be a little more inclusive than that, you are designated as an enemy combattant in the imaginary War on Christmas and are quite evidently engaging in discrimination and are an active part of a conspiracy to deprive Christians of their Constitutional rights...

Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 PM

8,653 posts, read 16,790,426 times
Christmas is a Chistian holiday and this country was founded on Christianity and also religious freedom - hence, your right to believe differently. However, why should anyone have to walk on pins and needles and avoid anything that makes non-believers and other religions uncomfortable - yet their religion or lack of it can be thrown in faces everyday. Removing the word Christmas tramples on my religious freedom. Those who oppose certainly don't mind taking the day off and having the holidays regardless of what they are called so if you don't like the word Chistmas then why don't you just go ahead and forego the holiday and go to work like any other day if you believe the word Christmas should be avoided.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:54 PM

19,495 posts, read 20,835,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Listen to Bill O'Reilly. Well, no, that's a little harsh. Read his transcripts. NOT saying Merry Christmas is the problem here, and if you engage in such a practice, or even believe that collectively we might want to be a little more inclusive than that, you are designated as an enemy combattant in the imaginary War on Christmas and are quite evidently engaging in discrimination and are an active part of a conspiracy to deprive Christians of their Constitutional rights...
So now our freedom of silence is being stolen from us?

The poor Trappists. They'll never know what him 'em.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,756,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
To the contrary - we like to think we celebrate the true meaning of Christmas all year long -

Then why the whiney "poor me, I'm an xian and you guys don't celebrate only my holiday" every year?

Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 PM

2,967 posts, read 1,751,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, Merry Christmas to you as well
Merry Christmas to you!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,756,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Christmas is a Chistian holiday and this country was founded on Christianity and also religious freedom - hence, your right to believe differently. However, why should anyone have to walk on pins and needles and avoid anything that makes non-believers and other religions uncomfortable - yet their religion or lack of it can be thrown in faces everyday. Removing the word Christmas tramples on my religious freedom. Those who oppose certainly don't mind taking the day off and having the holidays regardless of what they are called so if you don't like the word Chistmas then why don't you just go ahead and forego the holiday and go to work like any other day if you believe the word Christmas should be avoided.
Please provide examples of where this has ever occurred. No one cares what you say personally. Your rights stop where they trample on mine. I don't want to say xmas. I don't celebrate it. I go to a country that is not xian for the holiday. Yet, I'm bombarded with xmas songs that mean nothing in that culture. It is all about selling stuff to the tourists.

Let's just get rid of the national holiday for xmas.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Everyone knows O'Reilly is nuts. I was discussing this issue with my daughter (a little flaming radical college student). I said "The holiday is Christmas. There would be no decorations of any kind, etc, etc, if it weren't for Christmas. Chanukah is not a 'Jewish Christmas'. Kwaanza is a latter-day holiday for African-Americans, most of whom celebrate Christmas as well. There would be no 'Parades of Light', 'holiday' parties, any of it, if it weren't for Christmas." (Can you tell our family has discussed this before?) She reluctantly agreed. She does feel there should be no nativity scenes on public property. The Democratic Catholic mayor of Denver disagreed some years back. The nativity story IS the story of Christmas. You don't have to believe it, any more than you have to support the CU Buffaloes b/c there is a sign on the highway that says "Go Buffs"! As for the clerks in the stores, I would be happy with a "thank you", which you don't always get.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:16 PM

26,314 posts, read 24,409,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
Say merry christmas if you want...if not then don't.

It really should be a non-issue, but the idiot Fox talking heads keep bringing it up so they can get the pea brains that watch their stupid shows riled up about something...O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity, all the resident right wing whores.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas and it is quite biased toward non-Chrisitans, so it really shouldn't be a national holiday...maybe they should call it like National Winter Day Off or something, but no one is telling Christians that they can't have their holiday or say merry christmas...its absurd to think otherwise.
sorry, I disagree, as they are no longer allowed to play any religious christmas carols in schools or sing them in pagents any longer...it must be Frosty the snowman kinda stuff, but they "ARE" allowed to sing any other religious songs?

They've also taken many Christmas Carols off the radios....and there really are people who are offended to the point that at work I was told I must say Happy Holidays, which I won't, but it was whispered to me, that "I" was being politically incorrect...like I said a swear word or something...sheesh...and that offended me, so I'm gonna sue....

Not really, but you see how ridiculous it CAN be?

Creme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies