U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,279,211 times

Advertisements

Even though I was raised Christian, I have always thought of Christmas itself as a secular holiday. I remember thinking as a kid that no real 'religious' holiday could be so crassly commercialized, and so it must be fundamentally secular.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
Simple explanation! Merry Christmas was passed down thru the generations in the USA. We were taught push your chair in when you get up, close the door behind you or always hold the door for the person behind. Don't shout across a room. Say thank you, say please and your welcome. Merry Christmas was taught the same way which was out of respect for others.
It is simple, it started many years ago and now it is being challenged. It makes sense from both sides. Using common sense makes you understand how the phrase has been passed on for genrations to be used as respecting others. Who knew it would lead to all this hub bub.
LOL... I know, it is a tad ridiculous. Like I've said, I don't care what people say, as long as their intentions are good. And for those who keep talking about freedom, we have the freedom to say "Happy Holidays" just as you can say "Merry Christmas" - so let's just leave each other alone, and concentrate on our own families & celebrations!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
I take you just want something to argue about. Does not matter what subject, you just want to carry on and on. lol
Well, it's a Forum with Topics, and the whole purpose does seem to be discussion. If discussion gets into an area where I have some relevant information, I'm likely to offer that, particularly if a misunderstanding or misstatement were involved. In this case, an interpretation of biblical text that was important in the development of Protestantism was characterized as being the key to the Christian faith. That isn't the case. As the point arose in the context of a church that has adapted to changes in the society around it, I connected the dots to that as well. Discussion or carrying on and on? Might depend on one's level of interest in discussion...

Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 AM

86,888 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
But if there were other holidays around Halloween, which were widely celebrated, maybe we WOULD say Happy Holidays? That's what you're all missing - the phrase is to include other Holidays occurring in late fall-winter, which just happens to be a busy time! On December 24th & 25th, of course we should be saying Merry Christmas to most people... but considering the "Holiday season" now starts the day after Halloween, it's only logical to come up with a phrase to include Christmas, Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Veteran's Day, New Year's, and everything else that happens. Or do you think YOUR one holiday should trump all others in that 2-month period?? Seems a tad selfish to me, if that is the case.
No, not at all, but thanks for calling me selfish before you had my answer! As I posted earlier, and will post again, many Christians lament the hype as well. It is the merchants who started this 6 week shopping frenzy, and they are of all faiths and no faith. They are just trying to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Even though I was raised Christian, I have always thought of Christmas itself as a secular holiday. I remember thinking as a kid that no real 'religious' holiday could be so crassly commercialized, and so it must be fundamentally secular.
This is what I said to my daughter yesterday. The US is trying to make it two holidays, a secular one with white lights, Santa Claus (some of the more tolerant of them, as he has Christian roots as well), penguins, driniking parties, etc, and the religious one. You just can't do that.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,890,031 times
As I said before but it just seems to go over many heads.

Most people have no problem if you don't want to say Merry Christmas or celebrate the holiday.
Of course there will be a few zealots that have a problem if you don't.

The problem is schools and some government offices that want to be so PC that they will teach our children about Kwanzaa but will not mention Christmas or put up Kwanzaa and Chaunakka displays but not Christmas displays for fear of alienating someone.

There were some that have mentioned that Christmas has been so prominently displayed in the past that the the other holidays deserve the time now.

Why? So we can further push each side apart from each other?

Screw it, Joyous Festivus all, now go out and get your Festivus Pole and lets have the Airing of Grievances.
And don't forget the Feats of Strength.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:15 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,320,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
The problem is schools and some government offices that want to be so PC that they will teach our children about Kwanzaa but will not mention Christmas or put up Kwanzaa and Chaunakka displays but not Christmas displays for fear of alienating someone.
Agents and agencies of the state have no proper role in the endorsement of any religion. Simply teaching the fact that various religions and similar traditions exist is fine, but the state has no business showing a preference for any of them. If you are aware of an actual school that is recognizing Kwanzaa or Chanukah in the way you suggest, they have crossed the line, whether they have included Christmas or not. Call them and remind them of their obligation to religious neutrality.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,759,886 times
Or call the ACLU.
They support the constitution for everyone, even Larry Craig.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:23 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,068,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Agents and agencies of the state have no proper role in the endorsement of any religion. Simply teaching the fact that various religions and similar traditions exist is fine, but the state has no business showing a preference for any of them. If you are aware of an actual school that is recognizing Kwanzaa or Chanukah in the way you suggest, they have crossed the line, whether they have included Christmas or not. Call them and remind them of their obligation to religious neutrality.
They celebrate all the holidays at my children's school, or at least some mention of it with some sort of craft they make or a discussion about the day. My kid's school, which is a public school, also has a bible in the office area with the reading material.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM

19,498 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Or call the ACLU.
They support the constitution for everyone, even Larry Craig.
But not Santa Claus. Go figure.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:13 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, the Christian church
There is no "Christian Church"

There ARE churchs that are Christian however -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies