U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,224,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Or call the ACLU.
They support the constitution for everyone, even Larry Craig.
Yeah - and NAMBLA also

Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,065,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yeah - and NAMBLA also
They support anyone whose civil rights are being violated... isn't that the purpose of a legal team, to defend the law without judgment or bias?
You might want to read this: American Civil Liberties Union : ACLU Statement on Defending Free Speech of Unpopular Organizations

Old 11-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They support anyone whose civil rights are being violated... isn't that the purpose of a legal team, to defend the law without judgment or bias?
You might want to read this: American Civil Liberties Union : ACLU Statement on Defending Free Speech of Unpopular Organizations
Thank you - I am quite familiar with the ACLU - hence the reason I no longer support, financially or physically, their actions / agenda.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,847,271 times
How did I know that response was coming? I must be Karnac.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
How did I know that response was coming? I must be Karnac.
You ever work for the ACLU????

Old 11-26-2007, 02:53 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,538,196 times
This thread isn't about the ACLU. The ACLU pisses me off often, but they perform a valuable service by making sure that everyone stands a chance, whether or not you think they "deserve" it.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,154,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo08 View Post
Simple explanation! Merry Christmas was passed down thru the generations in the USA. We were taught push your chair in when you get up, close the door behind you or always hold the door for the person behind. Don't shout across a room. Say thank you, say please and your welcome. Merry Christmas was taught the same way which was out of respect for others.
It is simple, it started many years ago and now it is being challenged. It makes sense from both sides. Using common sense makes you understand how the phrase has been passed on for genrations to be used as respecting others. Who knew it would lead to all this hub bub.
I agree with what you are saying Bingo.......
Its the generations of Christmas that brings thoughts and fond memories back.
I looked recently at a black and white photo of a straggly Christmas tree with all the tinsel. It bought feelings back of our parents childhood, of the songs sung in church, of being an angel at the manger myself.
I know the history of the tree.........but that was way before all of us were here on the earth. From "our times on....it has been a family day, loved by all.
I know, no pagan ,in walking through the woods with my children, and finding the perfect tree. Singing along the way. Watching the wagon, bring the tree for baleing.
Nor is there pagan in now, walking with their children in that same spirit.
In New York yesterday, I missed hearing the Carols in the department store.
I missed hearing it by the ice rinks.
The only place Christmas was alive was at the Pizza Restaurant........and the one single man singing on the city bus.
I was glad for that man on the city bus. For what joy is not found in singing?
A big, huge, Thank You to that Caroler.
I don't like this change. I don't mind singing others holiday music.........but I want to hear mine too.
Its Christmas..........a time for joy and laughter, fun and festive, greetings to all.
Gosh, even the bus driver coming into the city had no CD's because now he has to be "so correct"
I really hope the local Mall has Christmas music, or I know of one that does.
As it has been through the ages, so it should still be.........
It is magic in the air, glistening lights, kids glowing eyes........
I love, love this season.........I so do.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,847,271 times
I don't mind singing others holiday music.........but I want to hear mine too.
Its Christmas..........a time for joy and laughter, fun and festive, greetings to all.
Gosh, even the bus driver coming into the city had no CD's because now he has to be "so correct"

Oh please.
They still play carols everywhere I go, ad naseum, I might add.
Play your carols at home if that's your desire. No one is stopping you. Get an MP3 player, take control of your own life.

Doesn't sound like you love the season, sounds like you want the Rockwell painting that never existed. Or to control the world around you.
You have the power to make your own holiday and reality, whatever that is. At the same time, others can be respected for their beliefs that may differ from yours.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,921,577 times
Quote:
I don't mind singing others holiday music.........but I want to hear mine too.

Oh please.
Play your carols at home if that's your desire. No one is stopping you. Get an MP3 player, take control of your own life.

Doesn't sound like you love the season, sounds like you want the Rockwell painting that never existed. Or to control the world around you.
You have the power to make your own holiday and reality, whatever that is. At the same time, others can be respected for their beliefs that may differ from yours.
When I lived in Asia, Christmas was indeed pretty nutty. All the decorations and commericalism had a frenzied side to them, because they were relatively alien to most folks, and involved traditions that the people had made up as they went along (Christmas Cakes, Kentucky Fried Chicken for the holiday feast, and all those slender Santas!) I especially remember one year in Tokyo when all the (previously unknown, at least to me) church bells in our area started pealing away like mad at about six o'clock in the evening on Christmas Day. Then I remembered that it had just passed midnight on Christmas eve back in North America...and darn if a light snowfall didn't start up just as I went out on our tiny balcony...

I always felt a tug of homesickness and remembered joy when I was abroad at Christmas.

Sorry it makes you unhappy.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM

2,744 posts, read 2,843,351 times
Quote:
Oh please.
When NY was mentioned, I almost spilled coffee all over my keyboard. NYC of all places! That is when I know the story was a fabrication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies