U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 07:00 AM

26,315 posts, read 24,413,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I play viola (as well as other instruments), which is always in big demand around the holidays - and the rest of the year, LOL. I also dislike the butchering of certain songs, but the Messiah is thankfully left alone most of the time... beautiful piece of music, even though I'm getting a little sick of playing it!
woah, I love violin....there is a gentleman and his daughter that comes around the neighborhood during the Christmas Holidays and they both play violin, while stanging in front of your home...it's spectacular!!!!! Your very lucky!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,099,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
This is a direct quote from Summering. It implies that a) only "good people" believe in xmas and b) if you don't believe in xmas, you are not "good".

I don't want to go to your church or any church. I don't want xians telling me anything that I must do or calling me names or playing any of their other games with me.

Do as you want, but leave the rest of us out of it.
The only xians I have animosity towards are the door xians who won't read, listen or look and insist that they want to save me.

I will challenge the EXclusiveness of xianity, the EXclusiveness of sharing the winter solstice with others and the faux insult they feel that the holiday is their holiday alone.
I think you took it all to seriously, and in the wrong context, of what I meant.
I adore all religions. I respect their seperate beliefs, and gladly listen to what their religion means to them.
I sit with friends often who are Mormon, Catholic, Lutheran,Baptist, Methodist, Protestant, Jewish, amongst others............
I certainly "honor" their thoughts and how they feel about their religion.
My personal thoughts on Christmas is that it now should not change to be PC. It should remain, as it always has been in ours, and our grandparents lifetimes. It is too meaningful to change, or exchange for "something else".
I have no qualms about others having a holiday they love, in a way that history has celebrated it........not at all.
In all fairness, I just don't want to see changes to what memories come about, from a history of our own.
Hopefully you will enjoy your religion with the vigor and gladness it deserves.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,068,981 times
Quote:
Okay, but what if I (a Jew) walk into that same store, and buy some Chanukah cards and supplies? I've done just that at Target, WalMart, Safeway, Hallmark, and many other retail chains... so wouldn't it be hypocritical and linguistically incorrect NOT to call it "Holiday shopping?" Supplies for non-Christmas holidays don't just magically appear, so obviously we buy them somewhere. So here's what I've always believed - if a store, show, etc. is only focused on Christmas, call it Christmas; if any other holidays are represented, call it Holiday. Makes perfect sense to me! It's also just smart business, since I would bypass a store that specifically said "Christmas supplies," as I would assume they had nothing for Chanukah.

P.S. Chanukah starts next week, whereas Christmas is still a month away... thanks to everyone for ignoring us as usual, and dominating even the week before OUR holiday - LOL.

I agree with Gizmo here. I do love Christmas, but it does dominate the month, I have no problem with other celebrations at all. Gizmo, I bought my kids a movie a few years back called Arthur's Christmas, in the cartoon, each kid celebrated a different holiday during the month of December, Chanukah, Christmas and Kwaanza. It was a great learning experience for my kids. I'm sorry that I was unable to teach them, but I didn't know much about Chanukah and Kwaanza, and now I do.

Hopefully with more discussion about this issue ~ in a few years, maybe even sooner ~ all three "holidays" Chanukah, Christmas and Kwaanza will dominate the whole month of December. I have no problem with that, what a wonderful and happy time of the year it would be if we could all celebrate together. Any others I left out that we can add to the holiday cheer?

Last edited by MonaLisaVito; 11-27-2007 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Add paragraph

Old 11-27-2007, 08:39 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,180,629 times
Quote:
P.S. Chanukah starts next week, whereas Christmas is still a month away... thanks to everyone for ignoring us as usual, and dominating even the week before OUR holiday - LOL.
This is just why I have that particular issue with the retailers. They start beating C'mas to death by -- I see the wreaths and lights up in the aisles before Halloween stuff ..hear Bing Crosby & Bearl Ives caroling on TV (commercials) in August. Then they don't wish it to the people buying the stuff.
That's why I used birthday as my example, didn't lump Kwanza & Chanukah with C'mas because they haven't killed and distorted the meaning of these sacred times to such a downright crazy extreme.

The most happy, healthy Chanukah to you, and all. Your Sacred Time is still that. Sacred. C'mas is a big commercial blitz which is way crazy & distorted because of them. At least they could wish it to the people in line with their money. The hipocrytes. (Hope I spelled that right :>)

Last edited by Travel'r; 11-27-2007 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,068,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
This is just why I have that particular issue with the retailers. They start beating C'mas to death by -- I see the wreaths and lights up in the aisles before Halloween stuff
Why let them bother you? I don't. These are the same people(retailers) that sell summer clothes in the winter and winter clothes in the summer

Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,180,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Why let them bother you? I don't. These are the same people(retailers) that sell summer clothes in the winter and winter clothes in the summer
It's all good. The reason I only shop on line now.

I had just read about one store selling their "Family" trees, wouldn't use the C-word. If I see a person in December buying a triangle shaped tree, and a bunch of lights to go on it, it's safe to assume what they're celebrating. If a place is going to sell the thing, why not refer to it as what the people who are buying it call it? They wouldn't be there in the store buying the thing in the first place if it wasn't what it was.

Last edited by Travel'r; 11-27-2007 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,960,993 times
You mean the war on materialism? I support that.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 AM

19,495 posts, read 20,840,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
They also sell Size 6 which everybody knows is really Size 10.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
It's all good. The reason I only shop on line now.

I had just read about one store selling their "Family" trees, wouldn't use the C-word. If I see a person in December buying a triangle shaped tree, and a bunch of lights to go on it, it's safe to assume what they're celebrating. If a place is going to sell the thing, why not refer to it as what the people who are buying it call it? They wouldn't be there in the store buying the thing in the first place if it wasn't what it was.
Yes, I agree! Like I said, if something is obviously for Christmas, call it Christmas... I have no need for a triangle-shaped pine tree, especially since I'm horribly allergic, so I couldn't care less what they're called. But when a store is selling items for multiple holidays, it simply makes more sense to use the dreaded "Holiday" word. And on the flip-side, please (retailers) don't call it Holiday, if you're ONLY covering Christmas!! I hate that, because it wastes my time... I go in expecting to find a Chanukah card or two, and only see red & green, Santa, crosses, etc. False advertising, I tell ya.

P.S. I do buy some Christmas stuff for non-Jewish friends, but hopefully you get my point - LOL.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:34 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
woah, I love violin....there is a gentleman and his daughter that comes around the neighborhood during the Christmas Holidays and they both play violin, while stanging in front of your home...it's spectacular!!!!! Your very lucky!
Thanks! I've been studying violin and viola since age 7... so it's more hard work and practice than luck, LOL. I play with a local symphony regularly, and take a few extra gigs around the holidays. I also do a yearly "Winterfest" in March, at a nearby Seventh-Day Adventist church... they write a new original concert every year, to celebrate the time between Christmas and Easter (usually focusing on the resurrection). It's almost like Christian Rock, and I actually LOVE the music!! Regardless of the words and message, any musician can appreciate a good piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies