U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 05:05 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,101,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I'm an equal-opportunity-offender. If you want me to say "Merry Christmas", then I will say "Happy Holidays". If you want me to say "Happy Holidays", then I will say "Merry Christmas." Whatever ticks people off the most, you can count on me to say it.

So have a very pleasant Winter Solstice and bugger off!
Well Buon Natale to you!!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,145,813 times
Glitch you are funny..........
You want to do the opposite........Alright.........I'm Kool
Hey any celebrations up there in Wasilla, Alaska.
Ice Carving contests, or Polar Bear watching?........What a great place to live!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:54 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,230,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Glitch you are funny..........
You want to do the opposite........Alright.........I'm Kool
Hey any celebrations up there in Wasilla, Alaska.
Ice Carving contests, or Polar Bear watching?........What a great place to live!
Our biggest winter festival in Anchorage is called "Fur Rendezvous (broken link)" (or just "Fur Rondy" for short). Ice carvings, dog sled races, parades, arts & crafts, and of course the Iditarod begins in Anchorage at the same time. Bears are all hybernating this time of year.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,145,813 times
Quote:
Our biggest winter festival in Anchorage is called "Fur Rendezvous (broken link)" (or just "Fur Rondy" for short). Ice carvings, dog sled races, parades, arts & crafts, and of course the Iditarod begins in Anchorage at the same time. Bears are all hybernating this time of year.
Oh funny, yes our bears are too. ( asleep, or I am hoping.....because bear season was just a bit ago)
I have had a few biggies at our old home. One right by my back door that was huge, huge........
Another huge one was roaming around, as we sat in our cars......one man almost joined my two dogs, because the bear was heading our way.
One stopped my daughter from going to work, it was by her driver side door....and she almost walked out and into it.
I love Ice Carvings..........we do all kinds of wood carving.......its fun.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM

394 posts, read 205,564 times
this is such a silly argument, why dont we all agree to say Happy Holidays and that will be the end of it

There are Muslims Jews Blacks Pagans and Christians who are all celebrating something around this time of year

Instead of trying to figure out which one is celebrating which, just say Happy Holidays and everyone will be happy

Old 11-27-2007, 06:56 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,039,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Is it in the back of the throat, like a sound used a lot in German?
Yup... just pretend you're an old smoker, clearing your throat.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Oh funny, yes our bears are too. ( asleep, or I am hoping.....because bear season was just a bit ago)
I have had a few biggies at our old home. One right by my back door that was huge, huge........
Another huge one was roaming around, as we sat in our cars......one man almost joined my two dogs, because the bear was heading our way.
One stopped my daughter from going to work, it was by her driver side door....and she almost walked out and into it.
I love Ice Carvings..........we do all kinds of wood carving.......its fun.
Our brown bears (grizzlies that live within 50 miles of the coast that feed primarily on salmon) tend to be a bit larger than anything you will find in the lower-48. They are 8 to 10 feet long, from tail to nose (much taller when standing), and weighing in anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200 pounds. They like to take their 6" long claws and pop the windshields out of vehicles so they can rummage around inside the vehicle for food.

If you would like to wish one of them a Merry Christmas I could probably arrange it for you. After all, I don't want to stray too far off the thread topic.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM

87,013 posts, read 102,621,396 times
I think they celebrate the solstice in Sweden. I would have no problem with someone wishing me a happy solstice, and not because of that. I am not Swedish.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I think they celebrate the solstice in Sweden. I would have no problem with someone wishing me a happy solstice, and not because of that. I am not Swedish.
I celebrate Winter Solstice and mourn Summer Solstice. This far north it really makes a difference. After six months of losing daylight, the day we finally begin gaining daylight again is a day worthy of celebration.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 PM

788 posts, read 1,903,130 times
Quote:
I'd like to see the snowshoe softball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies