U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 PM
 
1,408 posts, read 4,457,273 times
Reputation: 470

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Lancaster Native, I go into Lancaster a lot. Love that area.......Thanks
I LOVE this cute and catchy song. Wondering if it will wind up on the radio.
After it got going, I was just singing right along......
A wonderful story today to go along with this posting.........

One of our great states is sending 20,000 trees over to the servicemen in Iraq. I know from reading the things the soldiers have written here and elsewhere ,that these trees will be greatly received.
These trees were put on the truck already......and FED EX ( you sweethearts) is flying them over.
That is so cool y'all are doing that! Our guys & gals in uniform are the best, and they deserve our thanks, love and support.

A blessed Christmas season to you & yours!

Lanc

 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
1,105 posts, read 4,178,002 times
Reputation: 629
I think everyone needs to take a chill pill and think about things from the other person's point of view. Some Christians get in a huge uproar because some non-Christians get offended about Christmas. But then some Christians got all offended about Halloween so they had to take Halloween out of the schools. It is now fall festivals (which I don't have a problem with either). It isn't important to you until you are the one being offended. Wasn't there a big uproar recently about a book in schools that criticized Christians? And there was a huge uproar from some Christians about Harry Potter and didn't want those books in the school. Can you also imagine the uproar if (well probably a matter of when really) schools and retail establishments started really marketing the Jewish and Muslim holidays. I know they do some but it really is nothing like Christmas and Easter.

Is it really a big deal to hear Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Perhaps the person whose work establishment didn't want them saying Merry Christmas is a retail establishment. I sure don't blame them for not wanting to irritate any potential customers because that would be a loss of money.

Noone can ever stop you personally on your own time from wishing anyone you like Merry Christmas and Christmas can mean whatever you want it to in your own household. All is good!
 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,320 posts, read 20,157,812 times
Reputation: 11645
I know my daughters boss is Jewish and he gives her a wonderful gift.
My dentist who was Jewish, always said " Merry Christmas" to me, and he had a ton of
Christmas Cards hanging up. So did my regular doctor.
I'll tell you a very cute story.
My daughter had a Jewish friend. The young high school girl so much wanted to see what Christmas was like. She wanted also a Santa........LOL
They asked if she could stay over on Christmas Eve. I said sure if her parents were fine with it, I certainly was.
She stayed over, woke up to see what we did on Christmas..........and she got to open a box that had "Santa" inside. The smile on her face was worth more then money.
I could see that she was thrilled just to sit under the tree with us, and open a few special gifts.
Later that day we drove her home. I know the day was a fond memory for her.
It sure is a fond memory for our family.
Sharing ones faith and religion, without pushing what one thinks is wrong or right.......
always feels good to me.
 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
 
Location: OKC, OK
640 posts, read 359,504 times
Reputation: 133
Yes, it really is a big deal to hear "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Your argument can just as easily be "why can't non-Christians just say "Happy Holidays" and stop worrying about what Christians say....I mean, after all, the holiday IS Christmas.....

I'm fortunate enough to live and work in a conservative state / town where Christmas is still Christmas and we decorate with the manger scene as well as Christmas trees, wreaths, presents, icicles, etc.
 
Old 11-29-2007, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,320 posts, read 20,157,812 times
Reputation: 11645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Yes, it really is a big deal to hear "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Your argument can just as easily be "why can't non-Christians just say "Happy Holidays" and stop worrying about what Christians say....I mean, after all, the holiday IS Christmas.....

I'm fortunate enough to live and work in a conservative state / town where Christmas is still Christmas and we decorate with the manger scene as well as Christmas trees, wreaths, presents, icicles, etc.
Thank goodness for you Oklahoma.......( that is my favorite musical, I couldn't resist)
In New Jersey and PA we still had the kids in school with the Halloween costumes. Fun, Fun,.........I remember my days, when young ,looking forward to that day.
I think the song the Lancaster....wrote from UTube says it all, loud and clear.
I'm just not about going to change what has been in "our family "for 100 years, because someone now decides it all of a sudden, its "wrong".......
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Reputation: 11319
Greatday, post 360,

Then please provide some respect for others who do not believe as you do.

Unfortunately, it's a hallmark of many christians to disrespect others. I liken this to the door christians who won't give up even after you say no thanks.

Why do you insist on offending me when you complain that your christmas is not respected? Again, I ask you, what would Jesus do? Purposely offend people in his own name? I don't think so.
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
 
2,967 posts, read 1,766,138 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Thank goodness for you Oklahoma.......( that is my favorite musical, I couldn't resist)
In New Jersey and PA we still had the kids in school with the Halloween costumes. Fun, Fun,.........I remember my days, when young ,looking forward to that day.
I think the song the Lancaster....wrote from UTube says it all, loud and clear.
I'm just not about going to change what has been in "our family "for 100 years, because someone now decides it all of a sudden, its "wrong".......
Well said.
 
Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Greatday, post 360,

Then please provide some respect for others who do not believe as you do.

Unfortunately, it's a hallmark of many christians to disrespect others. I liken this to the door christians who won't give up even after you say no thanks.
Why do you insist on offending me when you complain that your christmas is not respected? Again, I ask you, what would Jesus do? Purposely offend people in his own name? I don't think so.
I'm going to paraphrase Roseba and say that it is probably a very small minority of the Christians who do this, not "many".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-29-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: change some wording
 
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 17,109,463 times
Reputation: 12328
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Greatday, post 360,

Then please provide some respect for others who do not believe as you do.

Unfortunately, it's a hallmark of many christians to disrespect others. I liken this to the door christians who won't give up even after you say no thanks.

Why do you insist on offending me when you complain that your christmas is not respected? Again, I ask you, what would Jesus do? Purposely offend people in his own name? I don't think so.
You asked the question, that's the ONLY reason I'm answering to you and in this manner. What would Jesus do? He would probably say "Bless You" to you, yes to you Chielgirl, because in his eyes, he would see you as someone who should be a follower. What would Chielgirl do?
 
Old 11-29-2007, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Reputation: 11319
chielgirl would allow people to believe what they want without demanding that they adhere to something they don't believe. This is particularly true for those who are very clear about not wanting to be bothered.

I don't want anyone to follow me, I would graciously accept differences and debate them but not insist that people are wrong or lesser because they don't believe (or not) as I do. I would not make comments to purposely offend people who believe other than I do.

Unfortunately, that's not occurring on this thread.

What would be the response to a comment to christians of satan bless you or some other comment that I knew would offend you? I don't say that because it would offend you. Yet, some of the christians on this board choose to offend.

Pittnurse, if I know someone's religion, it's usually the christians, and most of them (the ones whose religious beliefs I do know) do behave in that manner. I'm sure there are many christians who do not foist their religion on others but the self-professed ones seem to enjoy the baiting and superiority. You're probably right about the "some christians" but they are the vocal ones that the entire belief system is judged on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top