U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 02:24 PM

658 posts, read 2,220,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
It seems inevitable that the word "Christmas" will be a hot topic yet again this year as companies try to decide what their policy is, and people who aren't Christians attack the word Christmas, and people who are Christians think everyone should have to say it, even the Hindu guy from India at the gas station. It is the Politically Correct/Incorrect argument of choice in November and December it seems when I turn on the TV or look at news online.

With all of this nonsense going on, my question to Christians who are upset about Christmas being removed from greetings is this. Why is the word Christmas so important to defend? I'm personally much more offended by the massive marketing campaigns, the obligatory gift buying marketing that pounds you from all radios and every store sign, and the excessive food that starts on Thanksgiving and many people choose to pig out all the way through New Year's, especially leading up to Christmas with all the "Christmas treats".

During the time all this happens, a lot of people rack up debt they can barely afford to pay, and add pounds from overeating, all in the name of Christmas. Shouldn't this be more of a concern for Christians to tackle? I would think poor stewardship of money and junking up the body is a much bigger problem for Christians than whether or not the person selling them the excess gifts and food finishes the transaction with a Merry Christmas.

Maybe I'm missing something...
why is it only christian holidays are being attacked ?like the "holiday tree"instead of christmas tree or "the bunny" instead of the easter bunny it seems like us christians have to water everything down so noone will be offended if thats true how about calling the menorah a holiday candleabra

Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 PM

788 posts, read 1,899,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
why is it only christian holidays are being attacked ?like the "holiday tree"instead of christmas tree or "the bunny" instead of the easter bunny it seems like us christians have to water everything down so noone will be offended if thats true how about calling the menorah a holiday candleabra
I don't see it as an attack. Some people want to be inclusive of people who don't celebrate a Christian holiday. What's wrong with that? No one is telling Christians not to say "Merry Christmas", yet it seems to be the case that Christians who are used to things being one way are reluctant to allow others to say whatever phrase they wish.

If pagans/wiccans/whoever celebrates the winter solstice wants to call it a tree, leaving out the "christmas" part of it, why are you offended? If jewish people want to bring a little attention to their holidays, why are you offended? I don't understand this all or nothing attitude that many Christians seem to have. Leave others to live as they choose. No one is telling Christians they can't say this or that. The only exception is when Christians try to bring Christianity into tax funded establishments. If the whole town agrees, then fine, but if one person disagrees, it's their right to get their way (strictly talking about publicly funded establishments here, not private businesses, etc). What each of us practices by our own choice is just that. Why be offended because others don't believe what you believe? I just don't understand that.

Another point...look at this list of the top 100 songs downloaded on Itunes: click

There are many religious songs on this list, but there are also secular songs. Let it snow, Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, etc. None of these have Christian references in them, or references to Christmas. Why haven't you been offended by this before now?

Another song "Happy Holidays" has been around for a long time. Why haven't Christians been outraged about this song not making reference to Christmas before some loudmouthed pseudo-Christian talk show hosts declared the "war on Christmas"?

Stop jumping on this silly bandwagon. Don't let someone tell you that there's a war on Christmas. Look outside. That's clearly not the case, and it hasn't been the case for "generations", even though "happy holidays" has been used for a long time. They're just trying to get Christians riled up, thinking there's some unseen war going on. Utterly ridiculous.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 PM

770 posts, read 3,398,028 times
I don't think you non Christians WANT to understand. The stores PROMOTE shopping for CHRISTMAS, not the other holidays because they want to make money which in returns HELPS our economy. So when I walk in Walmart to buy gifts for CHRISTMAS for my family if I tell the clerk Merry CHristmas, and the clerk WANTS to say it back, let her, dont tell her she can not say Merry Christmas to the customers! If there is a tree decorated between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is a Christmas tree, what else would it be? President Bush is Christian, he lives in the White house, yet the Christmas tree is now called the holiday tree. I remember growing up and having our CHristmas party in school, something we all looked forward to, now you can not have a Christmas party, because a small handful of kids don't celebrate Christmas. Over 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas, 90%! I know Jews that celebrate Christmas and people from all religions. What are they doing? They are not celebrating Jesus, they just like the gifts that come along with it. So leave Santa alone, leave our Christmas tree alone and leave our presents alone too! Stop taking away all of our values, it is not our fault we are the majority...we are one of the oldest immigrants to come to this nation, it is the new immigration wave that is attacking this countries values and rights...and you are changing us, WE are not asking for change...we were perfectly happy before!O and to the person upset because they have to fight for their religious days off...Easter people usually have off because it is a holiday, BUT if people have Christmas and Easter off it is not because it is a CHristian holiday, it is because the vast MAJORITY of Americans celebrate these holidays therefore, businesses would lose money opening up on those days.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 PM

636 posts, read 2,090,267 times
Happy Yule!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:13 AM

788 posts, read 1,899,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I don't think you non Christians WANT to understand. The stores PROMOTE shopping for CHRISTMAS, not the other holidays because they want to make money which in returns HELPS our economy. So when I walk in Walmart to buy gifts for CHRISTMAS for my family if I tell the clerk Merry CHristmas, and the clerk WANTS to say it back, let her, dont tell her she can not say Merry Christmas to the customers! If there is a tree decorated between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is a Christmas tree, what else would it be? President Bush is Christian, he lives in the White house, yet the Christmas tree is now called the holiday tree. I remember growing up and having our CHristmas party in school, something we all looked forward to, now you can not have a Christmas party, because a small handful of kids don't celebrate Christmas. Over 90% of Americans celebrate Christmas, 90%! I know Jews that celebrate Christmas and people from all religions. What are they doing? They are not celebrating Jesus, they just like the gifts that come along with it. So leave Santa alone, leave our Christmas tree alone and leave our presents alone too! Stop taking away all of our values, it is not our fault we are the majority...we are one of the oldest immigrants to come to this nation, it is the new immigration wave that is attacking this countries values and rights...and you are changing us, WE are not asking for change...we were perfectly happy before!O and to the person upset because they have to fight for their religious days off...Easter people usually have off because it is a holiday, BUT if people have Christmas and Easter off it is not because it is a CHristian holiday, it is because the vast MAJORITY of Americans celebrate these holidays therefore, businesses would lose money opening up on those days.
Such hysterics!

Who says you can't have a Christmas party? I haven't seen anyone say that on here. Sorry everyone who isn't Christian is destroying your memories, but then, I believe that life is what you make of it and that a person's beliefs shouldn't be forced on others.

And expecting the Walmart clerk to say "Merry Christmas" to you is a little arrogant, no? You expect a lot from people who may be, dare I say, different from you. You can believe that this nation is meant to be a theocracy, but that would be so unamerican.

Many of our founders were deists. They didn't believe in the Christian God that today's Christians believe in. They also set this country up to be welcoming to people of all faiths. That's why we have separation of church and state. "In God We Trust" and "Under God" weren't added to money and the pledge of allegiance until the 20th century.

Believe what you will, and those of us who don't will continue to say "Happy Holidays" to you. Be angry about that if you want, but only you are responsible for your emotions, no one else.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,755,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Such hysterics!

Who says you can't have a Christmas party? I haven't seen anyone say that on here. Sorry everyone who isn't Christian is destroying your memories, but then, I believe that life is what you make of it and that a person's beliefs shouldn't be forced on others.

And expecting the Walmart clerk to say "Merry Christmas" to you is a little arrogant, no?
I think you misunderstand Artliquide. No one expects the Walmart clerk to say Merry Christmas to us. . .

If a person isn't Christian, or doesn't want to offer this greeting, well, great.

The issue is the people that do want to say Merry Christmas want to be able to. . . The corporations were banning employees from saying this, and instead mandating, "Happy Holidays."

Let's not distort this. . . And no it is not " a little arrogant."

It is more than arrogant when a company wants to dictates one's greeting, ones freedom of speech

Old 12-07-2007, 06:49 AM

4,429 posts, read 5,659,515 times
Default a bit much

Yahoo!

Now I like Christmas time and everything. But do you find this type of decorating a bit much.
BTW might have to go through a 30 sec commercial.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:11 AM

770 posts, read 3,398,028 times
Art before you start attacking people you need to READ the entire post. I said that if I say Merry Christmas to a clerk at Walmart and they WANT to say it back they should be able to...I even capitalized WANT for you in the post, reread post before coming back at me.

And yes Christmas is under attack. For example I belong to a moms club and we have to have a HOLIDAY PARTY even though we are all celebrating Christmas, for some reason we FEEL like we have to have a HOLIDAY party. And in schools they are making us have HOLIDAY parties no more CHRISTMAS parties(which was what we celebratedwhen I was growing up). Keep coming in, keep changing our beautiful country and running it to the ground! I wish I lived in a country were it was more defined, this crap the land of the free...I am not free, I am held down by all the religious minorities saying they are being surpressed. I could get so much deeper then this but I am off to see a HOLIDAY display...LOL!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,156,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
And yes Christmas is under attack. For example I belong to a moms club and we have to have a HOLIDAY PARTY even though we are all celebrating Christmas, for some reason we FEEL like we have to have a HOLIDAY party. And in schools they are making us have HOLIDAY parties no more CHRISTMAS parties(which was what we celebratedwhen I was growing up). Keep coming in, keep changing our beautiful country and running it to the ground! I wish I lived in a country were it was more defined, this crap the land of the free...I am not free, I am held down by all the religious minorities saying they are being surpressed. I could get so much deeper then this but I am off to see a HOLIDAY display...LOL!!!
We never had Christmas parties in school when I was little, and I grew up in a VERY red state. We had Halloween and Valentine's Day parties instead; it was easier than arguing and us kids didn't really care either way as long as we got parties period.

A lot of this is a tempest in a teacup; it's a made-up issue to divide people, courtesy of the Christian right wing.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,755,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
A lot of this is a tempest in a teacup; it's a made-up issue to divide people, courtesy of the Christian right wing.
I agree, tempest in a teacup. And yes, it is to divide people. Unfortunately you have it backwards. Initiated by the left trying to be PC and not allow people to express their own greetings, as in Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies