U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,169,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I agree, tempest in a teacup. And yes, it is to divide people. Unfortunately you have it backwards. Initiated by the left trying to be PC and not allow people to express their own greetings, as in Merry Christmas.
Frankly I don't give a crap how people express their holiday greetings, and I'm an atheist who normally votes Democrat. Express away; I'm not offended by any of it. I think political correctness is retarded...to use a NON-PC word.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,762,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Frankly I don't give a crap how people express their holiday greetings, and I'm an atheist who normally votes Democrat. Express away; I'm not offended by any of it. I think political correctness is retarded...to use a NON-PC word.
Ha ha. Now that's the way it's suppose to be. Thank you for your response.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,100,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
And yes Christmas is under attack. For example I belong to a moms club and we have to have a HOLIDAY PARTY even though we are all celebrating Christmas, for some reason we FEEL like we have to have a HOLIDAY party. And in schools they are making us have HOLIDAY parties no more CHRISTMAS parties(which was what we celebratedwhen I was growing up). Keep coming in, keep changing our beautiful country and running it to the ground! I wish I lived in a country were it was more defined, this crap the land of the free...I am not free, I am held down by all the religious minorities saying they are being surpressed. I could get so much deeper then this but I am off to see a HOLIDAY display...LOL!!!
I have to admit, before I started on CD forum here I rarely heard so much opposition to the Christmas holiday. I guess I never realized how many people out there did not like Christmas. Every once in a while I would hear something on the news ~ a quick story about nativity scenes at public buildings, etc. But nothing like I see on here. I personally don't know anyone who want's to stop celebrating Christmas or who hates it. I hear some people I know complain about the crowds and the malls or a few men here and there who shop on Chritmas Eve and complain about that, but never so much dislike for it as I've heard on the forum here. Now, I live in a small town right now, but I spent 36 years in the Detroit metropolitan area and never heard anyone complaining about it there either.

Anyway, in response to your post here about the holiday celebration. I've been paying alot more attention to the Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday thing lately. My kids school uses the term Merry Christmas. No one here has complained. All the paperwork that come home in their folder says Christmas, the flyer for the "Christmas" Party at school, the "Christmas" play and they want them to wear red or green to it or a "Christmas" themed sweater. The Santa shop they have this week for "Christmas" shopping. They also have Christmas grams on sale for the next two weeks. We had a "Christmas" parade in town last weekend, there was Santa, a manger, horses, etc. I'm having a "Christmas" party this weekend at my house for the cheerleading squad (36 girls - four squads - help me please ). At Halloween, same thing, all the paper work that came home said Halloween. And this was at their previous school in the Detroit area too.

I'm sure if someone was offended they would of said something by now??

What if five people at the school was offended out of 800 students. Should the school halt all activites for 5 and let 795 not be able to celebrate the holiday? Nobody has complained at all, I'm just wondering what would happen when and if someone does.

I don't have a problem saying Happy Holidays. I prefer to say Merry Christmas, I say both sometimes. If someone says Happy Holidays to me I say Happy Holidays back, same with Merry Christmas. Back in Detroit last year I heard Happy Kwaanza many times at my son's school. I said it back, I wasn't offended at the fact I didn't celebrate it. I just said it back and with warm wishes and a great big smile.

Where do we draw the line with all this.

Ok, just to add a note here. I'm only expressing my experiences and my thoughts, I'm not trying to start a fight.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:31 AM

16,495 posts, read 20,771,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Amen.

PvPonline » Archive » Fri Dec 16

Old 12-07-2007, 08:34 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,912,931 times
Good one, Mark S.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times
pluralism is not working too well.
i am not sure it ever did.
but persecution of christians is not new either
its just we have become very accustomed to not getting the lash.
for a long time christian meant acceptance and approval,
it does not work like that does it?
the world is not worse
its just that people feel safer coming out of the closet
with their worst.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 AM

143 posts, read 586,859 times
I am an Atheist also, but I accept the fact that I live in a country where the vast majority are Christian. I don't care about christmas trees or menorahs or even nativity scenes on dispaly. I celebrate christmas with my family as a time for us all to get together and be merry, even though I'm the only Atheist. I usually say merry christmas or happy chuanaka depending on who I'm addressing.

If people were really serious about the governments promotion of Christmas, they would challenege the fact that it is a national holiday.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM

658 posts, read 2,223,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
I don't see it as an attack. Some people want to be inclusive of people who don't celebrate a Christian holiday. What's wrong with that? No one is telling Christians not to say "Merry Christmas", yet it seems to be the case that Christians who are used to things being one way are reluctant to allow others to say whatever phrase they wish.
its not having things one way

[/quote]
If pagans/wiccans/whoever celebrates the winter solstice wants to call it a tree, leaving out the "christmas" part of it, why are you offended? [/quote]
im offended because its supposed to be called a christmas tree

[/quote]
If jewish people want to bring a little attention to their holidays, why are you offended? [/quote]thats fine and they have a right to do that but they dont have to change anything about there holiday calebrations ,or anything about there religion and beliefs but its always christians that do

[/quote]I don't understand this all or nothing attitude that many Christians seem to have. Leave others to live as they choose. No one is telling Christians they can't say this or that.[/quote]yes they are and its not an all or nothing attitude its taking offense to disrespect

Another point...look at this list of the top 100 songs downloaded on Itunes: click

[/quote]
There are many religious songs on this list, but there are also secular songs. Let it snow, Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman, Jingle Bell Rock, Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, etc. None of these have Christian references in them, or references to Christmas. Why haven't you been offended by this before now? [/quote]actually christians are the only ones that put bells up so in a way yes it does have to do with christmas & rudolph is a christmas song , it has references to christmas christians are the only ones that believe in santa
the other ones have no reference to any holiday just the season so thats why noones ever been offended before

[/quote]
Another song "Happy Holidays" has been around for a long time. Why haven't Christians been outraged about this song not making reference to Christmas before some loudmouthed pseudo-Christian talk show hosts declared the "war on Christmas"?[/quote]its funny how whenever a christian stands up for anything they believe in people like you automatically call them wackos

[/quote]
Stop jumping on this silly bandwagon. Don't let someone tell you that there's a war on Christmas. Look outside. That's clearly not the case, and it hasn't been the case for "generations", even though "happy holidays" has been used for a long time. They're just trying to get Christians riled up, thinking there's some unseen war going on. Utterly ridiculous.[/quote]im not jumping on any silly bandwagon plenty of people have felt this way for some time now and are finally standing up for there rights, i dont think its silly at all

Old 12-07-2007, 09:37 AM

19,520 posts, read 20,905,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
rudolph is a christmas song , it has references to christmas christians are the only ones that believe in santa
plenty of people have felt this way for some time now and are finally standing up for there rights, i dont think its silly at all[/b]
St. Rudolph of Red Nose?

Sheesh.

Happy Halfwits and Merry Malapropisms, Everyone!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM

658 posts, read 2,223,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
St. Rudolph of Red Nose?

Sheesh.

Happy Halfwits and Merry Malapropisms, Everyone!!!!
uhm....no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies