U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,731,930 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays is inclusive; Merry Christmas is exclusive. It appears to me that the christians want to be exclusive.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 AM

223 posts, read 545,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
If the Kwanzaa napkins were at a African-American celebration why would I have a problem with that?

On the other hand why should anyone have a problem with Red and Green napkins at a Christmas celebration.

The only problem I think the Christians have with this is, other people are trying to take away their right to celebrate Christmas as they wish. Maybe these people should show a little respect for their belief and wishes.
No one is trying to take away their right to celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They just want it equalized!!!!!!!!!!!

The point I was trying to make was missed (big surprise)

Reverse the roles...Christians are the minority...all the napkins say Happy Kwanzaa on them...Christians would be fighting it...end of story.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 AM

11,942 posts, read 17,417,047 times
Kwanzaa is an artificially created concept observed by almost nobody, yet containing just enough juice to refrain from being tossed into the dumpster of silly ideas.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 AM

223 posts, read 545,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Kwanzaa is an artificially created concept observed by almost nobody, yet containing just enough juice to refrain from being tossed into the dumpster of silly ideas.
The same could be said of Christianity (or any religion for that matter; except for the observed by almost nobody part); Followers of Kwanzaa haven't had 2000 years to force their beliefs on as much of the world as they could through warfare, torture and fear.....

but give them time BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 AM

4,425 posts, read 5,258,192 times
saying happy holidays does not take anything away from christmas... you as a christian have every right to say merry christmas... in fact.. I am not offended by someone saying happy hanukkah to me.. and my jewish grandmother is certainly NOT offended by someone saying merry christmas to her.... but from a marketing standpoint.. to appeal to everyone its good to say happy holidays.. because its all inclusive... not meant to take anything away from anyone.. but to appeal to everyone...
I think the whole war on christmas standpoint is a little childish and ridiculous.. the majority of people in america celebrate christmas.. but that does not mean that its christian or american to impose it on EVERYONE... let christmas be what it is.. its a fantastic holiday.. making it about a war...and pointing out who has a problem with it only makes you look as bad as they do... seriously.. chill out people...

economic figures surrounding christmas and the holiday season.. are VITAL to our economy.. its not going anywhere.. no matter how loud someone wants to b-tch about it... so let them look like jerks... don't let your brains spill out on the floor for the sake of engaging them...if you don't like christmas.. don't celebrate it... if you don't like people NOT celebrating christmas... feel sorry for them.. because they really are missing out.. it doesn't have to just be about jesus... it can be about family, friends, and giving... (lessons jesus taught.. but don't tell them that.. shhhh.. :P)

Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 PM

640 posts, read 356,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
1) Most celebrations of Christmas are ritual acts that have nothing to do with Christ and more to do with Pagan and local customs.

2) Happy Holidays (the season starting from Halloween through New Years), is something useful to marketers (who are looking for your $$$) and it is useful to everyone who sees this three months wirlwind a bit hard to keep up with. Hey, in my neck of the woods, we went from Pumpkins in the windows to Santa. (What happened to Thanksgiving? My favorite holiday)

What does Santa have to do with Christ anyway? Or colored lights?

Get a grip. The only people who are really politicizing this (on a national level) are Republicans who are trying to yet again, create another trivial wedge issue to distract voters from caring about issues that really matter.
You presume to know how most people celebrate Christmas. That's a little aggressive...

I celebrate Christmas. And I'll post it one more time....CHRISTMAS is a national holiday ~ HAPPY HOLIDAYS ain't.....and as long as CHRISTMAS is a holiday that I celebrate and enjoy with my family I'll say Merry Christmas. You, on the other hand, say whatever you like, celebrate or not ~ I don't care. But no one is going to stop me from my happiness of that season

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM

7,268 posts, read 13,477,590 times
Will someone please show me one person who has ever been successfully sued for saying "Merry Christmas"?

The "Happy Holidays" thing is all business driven.

This whole thing is a non-issue.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM

394 posts, read 204,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Christianity is the biggest fraud in the history of mankind, just look at this country and if that isnt the biggest proof I dont know what to tell you

Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,979,107 times
I know it is early but

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM

2,731 posts, read 2,822,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4"L's" View Post
I think the reason people get worked up is because in some work places, schools, etc. we are told NOT to use the word at all. We are told to use other words such as "Happy Holidays" so we don't offend anyone. That is what offends me, I want to be able say MERRY CHRISTMAS if I choose!
Who is "we". Does that mean you? Have you been told this? Has anyone you know been told this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies