Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 03:51 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,241,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, you should be keeping christ in your hearts all year long, so why the pageantry? Keep it in the churches, in your hearts but not supported by my atheistic tax dollars.

Why do xians insist on the outward display anyway. Why not celebrate in your hearts and churches and homes?
I don't believe in organized religion...but...Christmas has been my culture since I was a child...and what makes America a free world and a great place is the fact that for a long long time, I could practice Chrstmas, anyway I wanted...but now...it's becoming very annoying....b/c there is always someone who wants to cry...and yanno what, it's all about people being happy, and Christmas trees and sharing gifts, food and stories and families seeing each other maybe only once a year...and it's festive and happy, and full of light...and fun...

and because people are happy, I think, others are hum bugs and want to destroy that....why don't you display your celebration of whatever in your own home....and I don't mean that as an insult, rather a point....

what is so bad about people celebrating Christmas...why do you hate it so much that you want to keep people from being happy on the outside. God, it's like I gotta run inside my home to be happy and Say Merry Christmas, ho, ho, ho....I don't understand it...

Old 11-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Who is doing that? 500 well publicized people of a population of a US population of 301,139,947, being dominated by the newertainment channels of Fox news, making it appear that this is some wide spread movement?

Who is doing that? Have you met anyone who is doing that?
Yes, please go back and read my posts.....they are doing that...in songs, at work, etc......

Old 11-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Ah....Let's not get rid of Christmas

Seems that a vast, vast majority of the entire world celebrate the holiday -

Suck it up and live with it

Yeah....I'm jumping up and down and dancing around my chair....hugs....and sloppy kisses....yeahhhhhhhh

What, you can see me, you've got a camera toooooo, ohhhh noahhhh....

I was in my almost birthday suit, and trust me, it's not a pretty sight.....

ok, I'll sit down now...

Old 11-25-2007, 03:55 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,598,674 times
Creme, have you joined the POOP club with us on the other forum?

Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,256,580 times
I think you may have hit on something in your post. I think people that resent us celebrating our faith and our Christain holiday, or as you said, your culture, may have a void in their lives and feel left out. . . what else could possible be the reason for such anger against our celebration? I don't understand how well wishing, the benign greeting; Merry Christmas" has spawned such controversy.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,753,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, please go back and read my posts.....they are doing that...in songs, at work, etc......
What percentage of the population? .000000001% of the population does not make a wide-scale attack on Christmas.

As someone who loves Xmas carols (and probably knows more of them then 99% of the population), and who has always celebrated Christmas I want to point out a few things:

1) you have a half a dozen holidays that fall between Halloween and New Years.

2) Christmas, despite contrary belief does not begin October 20th (days before Halloween.) [I tried to buy Thanksgiving napkins before Thanksgiving.... but gasp, could only find decorations for CHRISTMAS. WTF!]

3) Christmas and Christmas Eve, is at best two days. Not the entire month of December, extended to November, and NOW, even OCTOBER!

4) Happy Holidays is most appropriate in public venues because of all of the above.

5) Consumerism has gotten most disgusting and it has been ruining Christmas for the past decade.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I think you may have hit on something in your post. I think people that resent us celebrating our faith and our Christain holiday, or as you said, your culture, may have a void in their lives and feel left out. . . what else could possible be the reason for such anger against our celebration? I don't understand how well wishing, the benign greeting; Merry Christmas" has spawned such controversy.
You know, change just a word or two of that and it would fit perfectly coming out of the mouth of some KKK guy all put off over people complaining about these here cross-burnings...

Old 11-25-2007, 04:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
I was looking at my hometown newspaper online (Beaver County, Pa Times) on Halloween Day. There was a link to click to see the front page from Oct. 31, 1967 (forty years ago). There was a picture of downtown Beaver Falls, near Pittsburgh, with its Christmas decorations up and ready to go for Nov. 1. I also remember many discussions among my parents and their friends at church re: keeping Christ in Christmas, not starting too early (which for my family meant putting up the tree on Christmas Eve), etc. There would be signs in the stores and in the ads in the papers, "only X shopping days till Christmas", etc. (Back then most stores were closed in PA on Sundays.) This is nothing new! It may seem new to some of you young whippersnappers (LOL), but this rushing the season has been going on for forever! (FWIW)

Old 11-25-2007, 04:21 PM

8,894 posts, read 19,984,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Please provide examples of where this has ever occurred. No one cares what you say personally. Your rights stop where they trample on mine. I don't want to say xmas. I don't celebrate it. I go to a country that is not xian for the holiday. Yet, I'm bombarded with xmas songs that mean nothing in that culture. It is all about selling stuff to the tourists.

Let's just get rid of the national holiday for xmas.
Well please go to a country where it isn't celebrated - if you don't care about my opinion - then don't bother to respond to it. If we can discuss your religion or non-religion then it shouldn't stop people from discussing Christianity or Christmas - equal time.

Last edited by texas7; 11-25-2007 at 04:36 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM

8,894 posts, read 19,984,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Apparently some wish only those who celebrate Christmas to be merry during the holiday fortnight or so. Seemingly, those who do not see any actual significance in the concept of Christmas are not seen as members of the little club, and hence are not to be encouraged to experience any of the joy that might go with the season.

Perhaps these should just drop the whole Merry Chistmas thing and go with something that more precisely expresses their true feelings. How about Good Tidings and Best Wishes to You if You Happen to Be a Christian, Otherwise Buzz Off...
Nobody thinks you have to be a Christian to say Merry Christmas or to receive a Merry Christmas - and those who do say it to you are wishing you well and wishing you happiness. They just want to be able to say Merry Christmas without somebody being a whiny person saying that we shouldn't be allowed to say it for whatever reason. It's an act of kindness. It's always been Christmas...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.