U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,434,520 times

Advertisements

It seems inevitable that the word "Christmas" will be a hot topic yet again this year as companies try to decide what their policy is, and people who aren't Christians attack the word Christmas, and people who are Christians think everyone should have to say it, even the Hindu guy from India at the gas station. It is the Politically Correct/Incorrect argument of choice in November and December it seems when I turn on the TV or look at news online.

With all of this nonsense going on, my question to Christians who are upset about Christmas being removed from greetings is this. Why is the word Christmas so important to defend? I'm personally much more offended by the massive marketing campaigns, the obligatory gift buying marketing that pounds you from all radios and every store sign, and the excessive food that starts on Thanksgiving and many people choose to pig out all the way through New Year's, especially leading up to Christmas with all the "Christmas treats".

During the time all this happens, a lot of people rack up debt they can barely afford to pay, and add pounds from overeating, all in the name of Christmas. Shouldn't this be more of a concern for Christians to tackle? I would think poor stewardship of money and junking up the body is a much bigger problem for Christians than whether or not the person selling them the excess gifts and food finishes the transaction with a Merry Christmas.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 AM

640 posts, read 359,056 times
Christmas is a national holiday. "Happy Holidays" isn't a national holiday.

Christmas is the birthday of Christ ~ thus, Christmas.

So, you tell me why "Merry Christmas" is so rabidly fought over by non-believers...oh, and I bet these people who scream to have "Christmas" removed from EVERYTHING have no problem enjoying the day off....

Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM

Just from my experience, I rarely get a "Happy Memorial Day" or a "Happy Labor Day" even though they are national holidays. I get a handful of "Happy Thanksgiving" greetings, usually at the grocery store, but I also get a lot of "Happy Turkey Day" greetings as well. I've not heard anyone up in arms about using turkey instead of thanksgiving.

I am a Christian, so yes its nice when I hear a Merry Christmas, but I certainly don't mind a Happy Holidays, or even just a standard Thank You.

I just think its odd that so many get very worked up about whether or not they get a greeting that includes "Christmas", yet all the excess spending and overeating is not a big deal to them.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 AM

640 posts, read 359,056 times
Don't change the subject from Christ(mas) to turkeys... :-)

Christmas is Christmas. Plain and simple. If someone doesn't believe, fine. DON'T CELEBRATE IT. Enjoy your paid day off. But let me and the remaining 85% (or more) of the country that does believe, celebrate it without the fear of offending (gasp!) someone. I'm fine with others celebrating their Hanukka or Ramadan or whatever ~ I'm totally fine it, not offended in the least, totally respect it ~ just wish others could / would do the same...

P.S. You sound more worried about over-indulgence than you do about Christmas?? In both posts you've cited overeating. Not everyone is guilty of that :-)

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM

383 posts, read 1,039,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Just from my experience, I rarely get a "Happy Memorial Day" or a "Happy Labor Day" even though they are national holidays. I get a handful of "Happy Thanksgiving" greetings, usually at the grocery store, but I also get a lot of "Happy Turkey Day" greetings as well. I've not heard anyone up in arms about using turkey instead of thanksgiving.

I am a Christian, so yes its nice when I hear a Merry Christmas, but I certainly don't mind a Happy Holidays, or even just a standard Thank You.

I just think its odd that so many get very worked up about whether or not they get a greeting that includes "Christmas", yet all the excess spending and overeating is not a big deal to them.
The problem for me is that it is now unaccetable in a lot of places to say Merry Christmas. I don't mind hearing Happy Holidays, but nowadays I do because if I say Merry Christmas at my work, I could get in trouble. I'm sure people file lawsuits over it. You can't display Christmas ornamentation without getting sued either.

If it weren't for the fact that people were trying to take it all away, it wouldn't be a big deal, now would it?

Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,399,522 times
Saying "Merry Christmas" is just polite weather you believe in it or not. Sometimes it is just easier to get along than fight it.

Merry Christmas to all! I'll see you at the Saturnalia.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
The problem for me is that it is now unaccetable in a lot of places to say Merry Christmas. I don't mind hearing Happy Holidays, but nowadays I do because if I say Merry Christmas at my work, I could get in trouble. I'm sure people file lawsuits over it. You can't display Christmas ornamentation without getting sued either.

If it weren't for the fact that people were trying to take it all away, it wouldn't be a big deal, now would it?
Now that is a different story. People being told NOT to say it is bad, vs people being told say if you want, don't say it if you don't want to is something I consider to be totally fine.

If I get a Happy Holidays, why should that change the way I feel about Christmas? It shouldn't, and maybe the person that said it didn't want to say Merry Christmas.

Just thinking out loud.

Oh, and Sooner. The reason I mention overeating more than once is because of our nation's epidemic of obesity and obesity related disease and sickness. The Bible clearly states the body is a temple, and it seems to me that people are more interested in whether or not they get a Merry Christmas than they are watching what they put into their temple.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:44 AM

11,989 posts, read 17,505,216 times
I am an agnostic who nonetheless loves Christmas. People have said Happy Chanukah to me and I thanked them for it. Were someone to say Happy Ramadan, assuming that is said, I would be delighted so long as it was sincere.

Good Grief. Is this the big issue of the day? Merry Christmas? Sometimes I think we are all too bored.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,668,484 times
I just find "Happy Holidays" to be rather tacky. For me, it is "Merry Christmas". Merry Christmas is more personable. Why say Happy Halloween but then not say Merry Christmas?

Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Why get no holiday greeting at all on Memorial Day and Labor Day?

Like I said, sure its nice to hear it, but if a person prefers to use Happy Holidays, whats the big deal? There are a lot of holidays that fall in December, maybe the person just wants to cover them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies