Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,231,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Very true and well said. The converse and biggest anti-impetus is people trying to ram acceptance down our throats, being in our face about it and not permitting and according us the courtesy of coming around and accepting at our own paces and within our comfort zones. They really do work against themselves and the entire reality. What fools.

I would venture a guess that most of us parents of gay children do accept them with open arms, and their partners as well, in a relatively short period of time. With my wife, not my daughter's mother, it was instant. I took a bit longer - less than a month of soul-searching; more like a week or two.

So shoot me!
As if most hateros would ever come around; hell, most blacks would still be third class citizens, unable to marry whites.
The military has been the great equalizer in many ways: interracial marriage, women in the workplace and now same-sex marriages.

I feel sorry for your daughter, doesn't sound like you truly accept her or her "wife" at all.

Last edited by chielgirl; 08-19-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,221,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your entire premise was that the military was acting to provide certain privileges to homosexuals so they can get married. According to what you say above, a homosexual should be fully aware that they are giving up freedoms and liberties when they join the military. In accordance, the military shall continue to provide to exception based on lifestyle.

I never said anyone would abuse it. It's just stupid to provide homosexuals extra leave because they follow a certain lifestyle while not giving heterosexuals the same leave. Your premise is that it's because all states don't allow gay marriage. But you have no interest in fixing that problem. You'd rather the military implement some band-aid solution.

You're the one who wants to keep the benefits unequal. That though-process a disgrace to this nation. Give everyone, gay or straight the same benefits. Federal and state benefits should apply to all. Stop treating them like they are different animals with different rights. You make me sick.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,165,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Good on the military to do this. Heterosexuals have 50 states they can get married as opposed to the 20 that homosexuals have.

I'm sure heterosexuals in the military can get by without having 10 uncharged days of leave. You do understand that every single military member only gets 1.5 days of leave a month don't you?

Seriously, good the military for doing this.

well, since the LGBT crowd wants to be fair about it, either do it for the whole service or not at all.

to be fair.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,587,599 times
I personally don't care one way or the other about the gay marriage issue (my philosophy is that right or wrong I'm not the one assigned to judge) but this new rule is a load of horse manure! Granting free leave to one small part of the armed forces while denying it to another is only going to create more tension between those two groups in the military.

The armed forces works on teamwork and knowing the same rules applies to everyone who wears the uniform, now the DoD has decided that certain members should be held about others, and this just won't sit well with some folks.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,231,053 times
Quote:
That's a good question. Heterosexuals should get the leave as well, imo.
When they can't get married in every state, I will agree.
As it stands, that is not the case.
Give gays marriage rights in all states and, voila, the perceived problem goes away.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,165,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
When they can't get married in every state, I will agree.
As it stands, that is not the case.
Give gays marriage rights in all states and, voila, the perceived problem goes away.

better yet, take marriage out of the hands of government and put it into the hands of the civil courts and churches, then no more problem.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,961,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
better yet, take marriage out of the hands of government and put it into the hands of the civil courts and churches, then no more problem.
Yes we have the answer.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
well, since the LGBT crowd wants to be fair about it, either do it for the whole service or not at all.

to be fair.
Sorry, but are attempting to tell the MILITARY how to regulate their members?

I didn't think so. What you fail to realize is that the LEAVE CHITS that the service members have to fill out STILL have to be approved by their Commanding Officer.

To be fair.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:03 PM

38,623 posts, read 26,296,714 times
Quote:
It's not a logical step. It's a band-aid that treats certain citizens unfairly. The logical step would be for the federal government to promise liberty of lifestyle to all citizens in a manner that freedom-denying states could not intervene.

It is a logical step in continuing to generate new court cases that will be used to circumvent the expressed will of the people.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It is a logical step in continuing to generate new court cases that will be used to circumvent the expressed will of the people.
Pretty sure the expressed will of the people were to get homosexuals the right to marry and equal rights in this country.

Stop crying just because we don't live in the 1950s anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies