Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
We need stricter punishment for crime. Thugs don't fear jail.
true. if they were a couple years older, at least there would be a good chance for the death penalty, considering this took place in oklahoma.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Only if you are using John Lott-doctored fantasy statistics.
Sometimes I question your sanity. Really, is this the only method of communication you have left in your life where people will dignify your bull**** with a response?

Are you really suggesting that, when confronted with an armed assailant, you are better off unarmed? Really? Please, tell me you aren't that stupid.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
We need stricter punishment for crime. Thugs don't fear jail.
Tell us what you know about prison.

Using this logic, we should have no or very few repeat offenders among those who have done significant time in prison. Over time, I've come to the conclusion that the deterrent effect of longer sentences and prison itself is very low for most offenders. I want dangerous offenders locked up to protect society, not to exact revenge and not to "deter" others. I don't care if it's the drunk who unintentionally killed three people with his car or these kids who intentionally killed someone. That is the only practical purpose of prison and harsher sentences I see.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
In the majority of instances where these heartless scumbags draw a weapon on an innocent civilian, a concealed weapon may give you a fighting chance.

So, you can basically take your little argument and flush it right down the toilet. Just because this attack took place in such a cowardly manner, does not mean it's any less of a legitimate precaution to carry.
It does make it less of an argument in this case. No amount of concealed carry was going to prevent this crime. None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
You have to admit it wouldn't have made a difference in this case. The victim was shot in the back.
It absolutely would not have mattered in this instance. This scenario is NOT the one with which to try and promote concealed carry; I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sadly, these monsters will serve only a few short years in prison, then will be back on the streets to kill more.

Had the kid been carrying with concealed carry, he could have dispatched all of them, as they only had a .22 cal "pop gun". One of my kids go to college on the edge of a rough neighborhood- he carries while jogging.

With the failure of our "justice system" and the growing discontent among the public about segments of the population gone wild, eventually individual citizens will take action themselves. Vigilanty acts are the bastard spawn of a failed justice system.
Not this time.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Sometimes I question your sanity. Really, is this the only method of communication you have left in your life where people will dignify your bull**** with a response?

Are you really suggesting that, when confronted with an armed assailant, you are better off unarmed? Really? Please, tell me you aren't that stupid.
So do I, but that's an entirely different discussion.

Most people freeze, fumble and panic in crisis situations. I've observed it. It's a small percentage of the population that reacts in any way close to what they would imagine in this kind of situation. In all likelihood, they will make the situation worse by escalating it. On top of it, they will probably make the situation worse for innocent bystanders. The classic situation would have been in that theater in Aurora a year or so ago. The last place I would have wanted to be is next to a concealed-carry wannabe hero in that theater.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Had the victim been "of color" would the trigger still have been pulled? Not likely.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
there is nothing whatsoever paranoid about the observation that 'what used to be a thrill is now routine' - go back and read the quote i responded to, if your state of confusion will permit.
There is everything to do with paranoia when someone perceives a rising threat that simply isn't there. You and I are safer from these types of attacks than ever. You have not a shred of data to back up your unfounded fears.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Had the victim been "of color" would the trigger still have been pulled? Not likely.
And now the stupidity gets taken up another notch.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,419 times
Quote:

Most people freeze, fumble and panic in crisis situations. I've observed it. It's a small percentage of the population that reacts in any way close to what they would imagine in this kind of situation. In all likelihood, they will make the situation worse by escalating it. On top of it, they will probably make the situation worse for innocent bystanders. The classic situation would have been in that theater in Aurora a year or so ago. The last place I would have wanted to be is next to a concealed-carry wannabe hero in that theater.
Oh, I definitely see that side of things. But, you effectively render an individual helpless. How can we justify creating a framework of laws which do not even give a fighting chance to defend themselves?

There's gotta be middle ground somewhere.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:

I agree.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies