Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,371,256 times

Advertisements

Is that the best they can do in a city as large as New York? That was probably the take from one city block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,183,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There isn't a law on the books that doesn't create a black market for something, that doesn't mean we should do away with any law. The Carolinas should be worried about how easy it is to get guns for their own selfish reasons, there is something wrong with the oversight and enforcement in their states.

I have fired pretty many different types of guns inside and outside the military, that doesn't make me any more or less an expert than someone who never touched one. I have heard all the arguments about how easy it is to make one in the garage, that isn't even remotely close to being a problem.
You can stay out of the Carolinas BUB.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,550,392 times
Quote:
=Goodnight;31057920]There isn't a law on the books that doesn't create a black market for something, that doesn't mean we should do away with any law.
And if the laws are stupid and un-enforceable? Then they should be re-considered. But anyway...

The difference in most of the laws that create a black-market and the one created by gun-control laws? For one, the second amendment is a part of the Bill of Rights. There is no such for illegal drugs (even though I personally think lots of drug prohibitions are stupid and futile and a waste of tax money and time).

Quote:
The Carolinas should be worried about how easy it is to get guns for their own selfish reasons, there is something wrong with the oversight and enforcement in their states.
Oh man. Typical busybody mentality, most common in the NE. Uhhh, why don't you be content with letting the good people of the Carolina's worry about their internal issues and you worry about those in your state/city? In direct parlance? Is too much to ask you and those of your ilk to MYOB?

And to repeat and repeat? IF your gun control laws aren't working? Then maybe you ought to look at how ridiculous they are to begin with. To expect that other states ought to follow y'all's own inane path in order to plug the holes in the faulty **** built is absolute surrealism....

Quote:
I have fired pretty many different types of guns inside and outside the military, that doesn't make me any more or less an expert than someone who never touched one. I have heard all the arguments about how easy it is to make one in the garage, that isn't even remotely close to being a problem.
I sincerely respect your military service. Now then, what guns/rifles/shotguns have you ever fired, and where? Are you a member of a shooting club? When and how often have or do you shoot?

The bolded part? You (as expected) miss the point. Which is that a firearm is a very simple piece of machinery. If somehow they could be eliminated tomorrow off the face of the earth? Then someone -- depending on their machine knowledge as to quality -- could turn them out and make money off of them. And who do you think would buy them? It would be the criminal and then it WOULD become a problem. Just like it is now with that only the law-abiding obey gun control laws and/or gun-control zones.

There is just something in the leftist mentality (conscious or naïve), that assigns blame to the object itself. Good lord, a firearm is a tool only. It is neither evil nor good. Its use depend solely upon the intent of the person using it.

That purpose may be good or evil, and there are always going to be the latter type in the world. And they will be the ones to first to acquire them so as to prey upon others. The former have no choice (not if they value their own lives and those of their loved ones), but to possess the same means to defend themselves.

But as anyone who knows which end of the jack is up, gun control laws do nothing more than slant the advantage toward the "bad-guys" to the point that only an ivory-towered pin-head could believe they actually have a chance of working no matter how much more the stakes are raised in terms of more and more draconian laws of the same sort....

Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM

77,951 posts, read 60,120,250 times
Quote:
Illinois is fairly strict but many states in proximity to Chicago that are not, easier to bring in illegal guns.
Gee, and every state around them has illegal meth, heroin, crack and so forth....

Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM

77,951 posts, read 60,120,250 times
Quote:
The logic is easy, criminals for the most part can't get guns from other states like the Carolinas with weak gun laws. Speaking of putting 2 and 2 together, did you miss that part where they came from outside NY City..

Hopefully they will prosecute the gun shops and gun owners that were complicit in this illegal trade to the maximum.
Unless you are dumb enough to think that the gangs that bring in crack, heroin etc. wouldn't possibly import guns.

Instead, you want to pass laws impacting the law-abiding states with gun deaths < Canada.

The fact that you pass the buck to rural states for what are other states problems is pathetic.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gee, and every state around them has illegal meth, heroin, crack and so forth....
Actually you have made a good point here, I live a short distance from either NYC or Philly and within the last few decades the amount of drugs being brought here from those cities has exploded along with the violence associated with it. I can't tell you how many times I've opened my paper to find someone murdered either from NYC or by someone from NYC. I'd love to see a comparison of the death exported by NYC surrounding drugs compared to how many people were killed in NYC by weapons bought in PA.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM

56,978 posts, read 25,934,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
And if the laws are stupid and un-enforceable? Then they should be re-considered. But anyway...

The difference in most of the laws that create a black-market and the one created by gun-control laws? For one, the second amendment is a part of the Bill of Rights. There is no such for illegal drugs (even though I personally think lots of drug prohibitions are stupid and futile and a waste of tax money and time).

Oh man. Typical busybody mentality, most common in the NE. Uhhh, why don't you be content with letting the good people of the Carolina's worry about their internal issues and you worry about those in your state/city? In direct parlance? Is too much to ask you and those of your ilk to MYOB?

And to repeat and repeat? IF your gun control laws aren't working? Then maybe you ought to look at how ridiculous they are to begin with. To expect that other states ought to follow y'all's own inane path in order to plug the holes in the faulty **** built is absolute surrealism....

I sincerely respect your military service. Now then, what guns/rifles/shotguns have you ever fired, and where? Are you a member of a shooting club? When and how often have or do you shoot?

The bolded part? You (as expected) miss the point. Which is that a firearm is a very simple piece of machinery. If somehow they could be eliminated tomorrow off the face of the earth? Then someone -- depending on their machine knowledge as to quality -- could turn them out and make money off of them. And who do you think would buy them? It would be the criminal and then it WOULD become a problem. Just like it is now with that only the law-abiding obey gun control laws and/or gun-control zones.

There is just something in the leftist mentality (conscious or naïve), that assigns blame to the object itself. Good lord, a firearm is a tool only. It is neither evil nor good. Its use depend solely upon the intent of the person using it.

That purpose may be good or evil, and there are always going to be the latter type in the world. And they will be the ones to first to acquire them so as to prey upon others. The former have no choice (not if they value their own lives and those of their loved ones), but to possess the same means to defend themselves.

But as anyone who knows which end of the jack is up, gun control laws do nothing more than slant the advantage toward the "bad-guys" to the point that only an ivory-towered pin-head could believe they actually have a chance of working no matter how much more the stakes are raised in terms of more and more draconian laws of the same sort....
Gun control laws work just fine in NYS and NYC but they are impacted by very liberal gun laws in other states, most of the guns used in crimes in NYC come from out of state. Do you expect that legalizing marijuana one state doesn't impact the adjoining states, of course it does, same for guns. Should we drop drug laws for heroin and oxycodone because it creates a black market, should we drop regulations for the sale of guns completely, after all those laws slant the advantage towards the bad guys.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,878,348 times
Quote:
... should we drop regulations for the sale of guns completely, after all those laws slant the advantage towards the bad guys.
I'm sure you can agree the black market is going to exist no matter what becsue of the huge amount of guns already in private hands. How are are the enormously restrictive laws in NYC advantageous to law abiding citizens?

Suppose I'm a poor person living in the inner city and wish to purchase a hand gun. It's going to cost me about $500 in non refundable fees for the application that apparently can be denied for almost any reason, then I have the cost of the gun itself.

Compare that with being able to walk out the door and buy one on the street probably for less than what it's going to cost me to legally purchase one....

Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM

46,187 posts, read 26,924,819 times
Quote:
Gun control laws work just fine in NYS and NYC but they are impacted by very liberal gun laws in other states, most of the guns used in crimes in NYC come from out of state. Do you expect that legalizing marijuana one state doesn't impact the adjoining states, of course it does, same for guns. Should we drop drug laws for heroin and oxycodone because it creates a black market, should we drop regulations for the sale of guns completely, after all those laws slant the advantage towards the bad guys.
You can only buy shotguns/longrifles outa state, anything else has to be through a FFL dealer, back to your state, anything else is illegal....

Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,550,392 times
Quote:
Gun control laws work just fine in NYS and NYC but they are impacted by very liberal gun laws in other states, most of the guns used in crimes in NYC come from out of state.
They do? Then why is there still such a high rate of stranger-on-stranger gun crimes in NYC? Oh yeah, you already explained that, didn't you? It is because other states don't choose to follow the wise path of your city/state, right? Who has guns in New York City except criminals...and why do they want them? Uhhhh, could it be to either commit crimes against the unarmed law-abiding citizen? Or perhaps to buy them up to sell to the same?

*amused* You and those of your ilk will never get it, will you? You live in a world totally isolated from anything save some screwy ivory-towered notion of reality.

Thomas Sowell: Gun control crusaders unconstrained by facts | WashingtonExaminer.com

Quote:
Do you expect that legalizing marijuana one state doesn't impact the adjoining states, of course it does, same for guns. Should we drop drug laws for heroin and oxycodone because it creates a black market, should we drop regulations for the sale of guns completely, after all those laws slant the advantage towards the bad guys .
*yawns* Pure deflection. And the analogy makes no sense at all. But to be fair? Answer your own question. I already said I thought a lot of drug laws were stupid and un-enforceable. And many should be repealed for that very reason. So what is your point?

Regardless, that has already been explained. Buying/possessing drugs is not a constitutional right spelled out in the Bill of Rights. On the other hand, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, is. Plus? At least as important if not -- in the whole scheme of things, more? -- why should people in other states pay the idiotic price for the lunacy of New York City policies?

*snaps fingers* Could that be just one of many reasons so many from NY -- and the NE in general --are moving in droves to the South?

Finally? Do law-abiding citizens of NYC have a right to defend themselves against criminal assault? If so, how are they supposed to do it when their ability to do so is almost completely restricted in terms of practical means to do so? Please answer that one....

Last edited by TexasReb; 08-22-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies