U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
1,703 posts, read 1,894,560 times
Reputation: 1127

Advertisements

Are they going to be brought in the Oklahoma case? It's all we heard about with Trayvon. Imagine if a white person said they were 'bored' and then shot a black person!

The Australians and others criticizing U.S. gun laws are misguided. They don't have the minority population that we do. If it wasn't for that then 'gun control' would probably not even be an issue here. Different demographics, different society. One certain minority alone is responsible for more than 50% of all U.S. murders (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...-homicide-data). Crime stats would like quite a bit different if we were the shade of say, Germany or England. Maybe a better goal should be to keep guns out of the hands of certain segments of the population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
6,480 posts, read 6,208,900 times
Reputation: 6960
I am almost as against hate crime legislation as I am against hate crimes. Assault is assault, murder is murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 PM
 
1,731 posts, read 1,168,330 times
Reputation: 760
Unpossible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
9,033 posts, read 8,763,179 times
Reputation: 5666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Maybe a better goal should be to keep guns out of the hands of certain segments of the population?
Really? You want to deprive an entire segment of the population of their Second Amendment rights -- even though that SAME segment is disproportionately represented among VICTIMS of gun murders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,170,966 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Really? You want to deprive an entire segment of the population of their Second Amendment rights -- even though that SAME segment is disproportionately represented among VICTIMS of gun murders?
This is why gun control in the United States was enacted in the first place.

White Southern Democrats wanted to keep blacks from obtaining guns.

This is common knowledge, or so I thought.

Personally I see no reason for any gun control measures with 2 exceptions. People under the age of 18 should not be allowed to own a gun (though they could shoot them at ranges, for hunting, etc...) and people that have been charged with violent felonies. If they are acquitted then they should be allowed to own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,073,507 times
Reputation: 5917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Are they going to be brought in the Oklahoma case? It's all we heard about with Trayvon. Imagine if a white person said they were 'bored' and then shot a black person!

The Australians and others criticizing U.S. gun laws are misguided. They don't have the minority population that we do. If it wasn't for that then 'gun control' would probably not even be an issue here. Different demographics, different society. One certain minority alone is responsible for more than 50% of all U.S. murders (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...-homicide-data). Crime stats would like quite a bit different if we were the shade of say, Germany or England. Maybe a better goal should be to keep guns out of the hands of certain segments of the population?
Excuse me but I thought I would mention I believe one of the punks was white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 PM
 
6,334 posts, read 4,435,833 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I am almost as against hate crime legislation as I am against hate crimes. Assault is assault, murder is murder.
no, there is 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,289 posts, read 7,976,694 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
no, there is 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder
Which has nothing to do with hate crimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Jacurutu
5,302 posts, read 4,165,054 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Which has nothing to do with hate crimes
A "hate crime" murder is generally defined as killing someone solely based on their ethnicity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 PM
 
6,334 posts, read 4,435,833 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Which has nothing to do with hate crimes
state of mind determines what time of crime you will get charged with

If you kill someone for money versus rage you will get charged with a harsher crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top